Explosive Eighteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel…

Explosive Eighteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel (edition 2012)

by Janet Evanovich

Member:naylands
Title:Explosive Eighteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Info:Bantam (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***

Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich

English (94)  Piratical (1)  All languages (95)
Makes me laugh out loud. Love this series. ( )
  bogopea | Apr 17, 2015 |
After the movie, One for the Money (I loved it), I wanted to read the books. I was half happy and half disappointed (to be fair the first few books were better than the rest - I've read 17 or 18). The writing isn't anything special but there is banter and wit (which is waning). I love her grandma, the ex-hooker, and some other random side characters - that and the witty moments kept me coming back for more.

By the time of the 5th book (or at least by the 10th) you would think she would start to get the hang of her job or get a new one - nope. At a certain point she is just a pretty woman of 30ish who can't pick from 2 men (or choose to move on from both), who is bad at her job, and relies on luck and the men in her life to save her (to be fair I think of one time she was saved by a woman).

So why do I keep reading? In spite of how annoying she is, and how she is hopelessly in love with 2 mildly mentally abusive men? Despite all the half attractive or good guys being over 6 ft tall for some reason and all the other men are taken or ugly? The reason is the supporting crazy characters, and the fading wit. ( )
  mlg11031112 | Apr 10, 2015 |
I'd give this book 3.5 stars. It's a Stephanie Plum novel and they can never be bad. However I find the stories are starting to get a bit repetitive. Usually these novels have me laughing out loud, this one didn't do that for me.

I think it's time the story was switched up a little and that Stephanie chooses between Morelli or Ranger. ( )
  Marie113 | Mar 31, 2015 |
These Stephanie Plum stories are often good escapist reads but this one never really clicked for me. Some of the continuing characters, e.g., Lula, are always pretty close to being over the top, but this time I think she and others crossed that line. The story was so-so and none of the continuing characters seemed very interesting. No doubt hardcore Evanovich fans will have a different perspective but I will be looking for a different source the next time I want some light reading. ( )
  TGPistole | Feb 24, 2015 |
Better than the last few. The plot lines were original but not enough of the relationship stuff with Morelli and/ or Ranger. :) Read it in a day-( Mar 1 snow storm in NH) ( )
  mainerk8 | Feb 14, 2015 |
At this stage of her prolific career, now up to 18 Stephanie Plum novels, Evanovich’s work is more about tweaking than writing. She’s got the basic plot down pat. Now it’s a matter in each book of thickening or thinning the comic layers on Plum, the New Jersey bounty hunter. In the new book — it’s all about the mess resulting when Plum encounters a guy with a deep secret who gets murdered — Stephanie seems hornier than usual, even more conflicted between Morelli and Ranger, a touch less careful with guns, and freer with her enjoyably smartass mouth.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 14, 2012)

Janet Evanovich presents a new novel featuring bounty hunter Stephanie Plum.Stephanie's seatmate on Flight 127 from Hawaii never returned to the plane after the L.A. layover. Now he's dead, in a garbage can, waiting for curbside pickup. His killer could be anyone. The FBI, the fake FBI, and guns-for-hire are all looking for a photograph the dead man was supposed to be carrying. Only one other person has seen the missing photograph--Stephanie Plum.
added by daddyofattyo | editNew York Times

New Jersey was 40,000 feet below me, obscured by cloud cover.

Stephanie's a flake/
Gets married in Hawai'i/
Still banging both dudes

Before Stephanie can even step foot off Flight 127 Hawaii to Newark, she is knee deep in trouble. Her dream vacation turned into a nightmare, and she is flying back to New Jersey solo. Worse still, her seatmate never returned to the plane after the L.A. layover. Now he is dead, in a garbage can, waiting for curbside pickup. His killer could be anyone. And a ragtag collection of thugs and psychos, not to mention the FBI, are all looking for a photograph the dead man was supposed to be carrying. Only one other person has seen the missing photo,Stephanie Plum. Now she is the target, and she does not intend to end up in a garbage can. With the help of an FBI sketch artist Stephanie re-creates the person in the photo. Unfortunately the first sketch turns out to look like Tom Cruise, and the second sketch like Ashton Kutcher. Until Stephanie can improve her descriptive skills, she will need to watch her back.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,704,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible