Along a Long Road by Frank Viva

Along a Long Road (edition 2011)

by Frank Viva

93None128,897 (3.72)None
Member:alarson1
Title:Along a Long Road
Authors:Frank Viva
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2011), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Location, Prepositions

Along a Long Road by Frank Viva

Along A Long Road is one of those wonderfully special books that is entirely modern and unique but still gives you that immediate feeling that you’re going to be enjoying it just as much with your grandchildren in 20 or 30 years.

To read the full review, check it out at Noodlenuts Children's Books. ( )
  Noodlenuts | Mar 23, 2014 |
I became much more interested in the book when I read on the title page that Frank Viva created the illustrations as a single continuous panel in Adobe Illustrator. And also when I realized that the yellow road on the cover makes a continuous loop with the endpapers AS WELL AS with the road in the book.

Definitely in the neo-retro category of Where's Walrus and a couple other books I can't think of right now. Love the glossy yellow road throughout. There is an enormous amount of stuff to look at and examine here; simple graphic design can be deceptive. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
We loved this book, and if your kid loves mazes or maps, or loves to follow the line and trace roads with his finger, then this is a book for you. My little boy asked for this book again and again, he couldn't get enough of chasing the yellow line that makes the road that's at the center of this book. There are not many words, it could almost be called wordless. And yet, the rhythm of those sparse words is kind of intoxicating (and briefly it reminded my of one of our favorite toddler books: [b:Freight Train|734542|Freight Train|Donald Crews|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348955169s/734542.jpg|2324679]) The graphics are absolutely beautiful. For more in the same vein check out [b:Round Trip|1430728|Round Trip|Ann Jonas|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349080793s/1430728.jpg|1421240] and [b:Follow the Line|664622|Follow the Line|Laura Ljungkvist|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309198105s/664622.jpg|650682]. A couple of maze books from the top of my head are also [b:Museum Trip|842644|Museum Trip|Barbara Lehman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347503942s/842644.jpg|828180] and [b:The Secret Path|1369340|The Secret Path (Tales From Percy’s Park)|Nick Butterworth|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1356021399s/1369340.jpg|1359181] ... ( )
  Fjola | Oct 17, 2013 |
I liked the flow of the road throughout the book, but otherwise, it was okay. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
AWESOME! ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |

Speed off on an eventful bicycle ride along the bold yellow road that cuts through town, by the sea, and through the country. Ride up and around, along and through, out and down.

Frank's striking graphic style is executed in just five joyous colors, and his spare, rhythmic language is infectious.

Hit a bump?
Get back on track!
Reach the end?
Start again!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:35 -0400)

Illustrations and brief text evoke a bicycle ride, with its ups and downs, sweeping turns, and vivid views.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,489,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible