Chihuahua of the Baskervilles (Tripping…

Chihuahua of the Baskervilles (Tripping Magazine Mystery) (edition 2011)

by Esri Allbritten

Member:DreamingInFiction
Title:Chihuahua of the Baskervilles (Tripping Magazine Mystery)
Authors:Esri Allbritten
Info:Minotaur Books (2011), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:***
Tags:*read, 2012, genre: cozy mystery

Chihuahua of the Baskervilles by Esri Allbritten

This was a cute cozy mystery starring some adorable puppies. The storyline was cute, if predictable at times. The main characters from Tripping magazine were the most interesting characters in the story (other than the chihuahuas, of course). The ending was also predictable, but at least there was not a pretty bow wrap-up. Overall, the story was fun and I enjoyed reading it. ( )
  jguidry | Mar 13, 2017 |
I have read remarks that the plot is a little thin and the writing a bit simplistic, but Chihuahua of the Baskervilles is a cozy mystery, so I found everything to be exactly what I enjoy in a cozy. I fit the book in after reading a book with a heavier story line, which I often do and this book hit the spot.
The setting is good and Esri Allbritten is especially gifted at introducing a variety of characters in such a way that I found them easy to get to know and was never confused by them.
The mystery kept me guessing, which is always the most important thing to me in a mystery, although I was a little disappointed in the reasoning behind the crime. ( )
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |
As one might guess from the delightful title, this is a fun little cozy. Three staff members of the unfortunately-named Tripping Magazine come to Manitou Springs, Colorado, to investigate the story of a ghostly Chihuahua haunting his beloved former owner, Charlotte Baskerville. Ms. Baskerville founded the successful Petey's Closet, a company that designs costumes for pooches. (Considering the way our toy poodle fights having her sweater put on even when she's shivering, I suspect we would not be customers.)

Angus may or may not believe in ghosts, but he knows what the readers want. Michael, a writer new to the magazine, is frankly skeptical. Suki, an excellent photographer, also new to the magazine, isn't a believer, but she's not as bad as Michael. (You may find out for yourself why Michael and Suki are working for a publication specializing in trips to places of known paranormal activity.)

Thanks to one of those haunted places shows, I knew about the town's coffin races. The description here was amusing. Is the haunting real or a hoax? If the latter, there are plenty of suspects in the Baskerville household. Two employees, Charlotte's husband, and their granddaughter all want something from Charlotte. So does the next-door neighbor.

Besides Petey, there are living Chihuahuas for dog fans to enjoy. I look forward to reading the sequel. ( )
  JalenV | Apr 27, 2014 |
Cute book with interesting characters. Anything with dogs is OK by me. Liked the quirky twists. ( )
  dd196406 | Nov 27, 2011 |
This is a light hearted mystery with humor and flat out silliness. Tripping Magazine, of the paranormal type, "researches" the ghostly howls in the night of Charlotte Baskerville's deceased chihuahua. ( )
  cfk | Aug 26, 2011 |

Esri Allbrittenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lifeonwhite.comChihuahua cover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rotstein, David Baldeosinghcover design & photo-illustrationsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, Duncanlandscape cover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Angel Joe and the 'Rents.
and to the people of
Manitou Springs, Colorado
The heavy tick of a grandfather clock filled the parlor, as if to convince the listener that this was a serious timepiece, despite the Chihuahua toy in a fairy costume perched on its mahogany case.

Tripping magazine is a quirky low-budget magazine that reports on travel destinations for believers in the paranormal. A few fake ghosts away from throwing in the towel, the Tripping staff get the tip of a lifetime when they get a call from Charlotte Baskerville, the rich founder of a clothing company for small dogs. Charlotte things that her beloved Chihuahua, Petey, has come back from the dead, and she's desperate for someone to come verify his appearances.

The magazine's three-person reporting team travels to Manitou Springs, Colorado, sure that the ghostly dog will be a work of fiction. But when they arrive, they see evidence of Petey with their own eyes. And he's not just floating by - he's howling advice and spelling out threats with tiny paw prints. Is the ghost real? Or is someone teaching a dead dog new tricks ... like murder?

When the glowing form of a beloved deceased Chihuahua appears, is it a ghost, or is someone teaching a dead dog new tricks – like murder?

Tripping Magazine is a quirky low-budget magazine that reports on travel destinations for believers in the paranormal. A few fake ghosts away from throwing in the towel, the Tripping staff get the tip of a lifetime when they get a call from Charlotte Baskerville, the rich founder of a clothing company for small dogs. Charlotte thinks that her Chihuahua, Petey, has come back from the dead, and she’s desperate for someone to come verify his appearances.

The magazine’s three-person reporting team travels to Manitou Springs, Colorado, sure that the ghostly dog will be a work of fiction. But, when they arrive, they see evidence of Petey with their own eyes. And he’s not just floating by – he’s howling advice and spelling out threats with tiny paw prints. Is the ghost real, or is the whole phenomenon an elaborate ruse?

The Tripping team must navigate the kooky world of coffin races, scheming husbands, and doggie fashion to solve the mystery – and get their story written at the same time. Uproariously funny and a great mystery to boot, Chihuahua of the Baskervilles is sure to leave you in stitches.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:06 -0400)

When the owner of a small-dog clothing catalog reports sightings of a canine ghost who some believe to be a former retail mascot, the eccentric staff of a low-budget paranormal periodical visit Colorado's Manitou Springs to investigate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,523,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible