The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon

The Scottish Prisoner (2011)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Lord John (3), Outlander (3.7)

602None16,217 (3.99)22

English (33)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (35)
Where to begin? I was pleased to read about Jamie and John. This book answered a lot of questions about their friendship. With Outlander series, not much is aid of Lord John Grey.

I love getting acquainted Hal and John. They are quite remarkable characters. They fight like any brother. But love and defend each other as fierce brothers should.

I want to give so much away, but promised I wouldn't spoil it. Such a wonderful story. A must read! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
Diana Gabaldon is my favorite author, but her Lord John books just haven't done it for me. I read one of them, but Grey doesn't hold my heart the way Jamie and Claire do, so I couldn't really get into it.

So I was a little hesitant to read The Scottish Prisoner, knowing that it takes place during the years Jamie and Claire were apart. Still, it had Jamie, so I couldn't resist. And I'm glad I didn't!

Yes, Grey was a prominent character throughout the book, but The Scottish Prisoner focused enough on Jamie that it worked for me. The scenes with Jamie and wee William, as well as the tangible force of Jamie's ache for Claire (and Brianna, though he doesn't know it at the time), was priceless.

The actual plot of the story (thwart the uprising and get the bad guy) was so so, but Gabaldon's brilliance in setting and historical placement shines.

In short, if you're missing Jamie Fraser, read this one. It won't be the crack high you get from him and Claire, but it should be enough to hold you for a bit while we're waiting for MOBY to come out in the fall of 2013. ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 7, 2014 |
The adventures of Lord John Grey - especially when they include one Jamie Fraser - never fail to delight and I particularly happy to see Jamie prominent in this addition to the Lord John series. In fact, Jamie's past figures largely in this novel, as he encounters connections from his time as a Jacobite rebel and pursues a potential rebel along side Lord John in Ireland. Fun reading and definitely a must for Diana Gabaldon fans! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jan 26, 2014 |
I once had the pleasure of hearing Diana Gabaldon talk about writing and her books. She said that she tends to write different pieces of a book at different times and then put them all together at the end. At the time I wondered how she kept them all straight but had never seen an error in chronology or details. Until this book. At one point she has Jamie and John Grey and John's manservant discuss the poetry of Harry Quarry and Jamie knows all about it because Quarry once asked him for a rhyme. A few chapters later John Grey, his brother Hal and Jamie are discussing Harry Quarry and Jamie says "It's my impression that Colonel Quarry has considerable experience of various kinds upon which to draw...Though I shouldna have taken him for a man of letters. D'ye mean to say that he composed that remarkable bit o' verse?" This clearly indicates that he had no knowledge of Quarry's poetry. It's a small matter but makes me wonder if Gabaldon's editing is done as well as it needs to be to bring together the separate pieces.

However, that aside I did enjoy this look into what happened to Jamie during the years Claire was in modern times. I especially liked seeing his relationship with his son Willie progress. In this book Jamie is brought to London and then Ireland to help John Grey bring Major Gerald Siverley back to England for court martial for acts of treason and other nonmajorly actions. It turns out that Siverley is involved with a Jacobite plot to take the King of England hostage and bring Charles Stuart back to the Crown. Although Jamie was a Jacobite himself he knows from Claire that none of the plots ever succeed and so he is willing to help the English in order to stop more bloodshed. Of course there are lots of close escapes and fights and duels and some supernatural events to flesh out the story. That's why we read these books after all.

Great escapism for the summer. ( )
  gypsysmom | Jul 31, 2013 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holmes, RickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those selfless champions of a beautiful and beloved language who have so kindly helped me with Gaelic translations through the years:

Iain MacKinnon Taylor (and members of his family) (Gaelic/Gaidhlig): Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, and A Breath of Snow and Ashes

Catherine MacGregor and Catherine-Ann MacPhee (Gaelic/Gaidhlig): An Echo in the Bone, The Exile, and The Scottish Prisoner

Kevin Dooley (Irish/Gaeilge): The Scottish Prisoner

Moran Taing!
If you deal in death routinely, there are two paths.

The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon

London, 1760. For Jamie Fraser, paroled prisoner-of-war in the remote Lake District, life could be worse: He’s not cutting sugar cane in the West Indies, and he’s close enough to the son he cannot claim as his own. But Jamie Fraser’s quiet existence is coming apart at the seams, interrupted first by dreams of his lost wife, then by the appearance of Tobias Quinn, an erstwhile comrade from the Rising.

Like many of the Jacobites who aren’t dead or in prison, Quinn still lives and breathes for the Cause. His latest plan involves an ancient relic that will rally the Irish. Jamie is having none of it—he’s sworn off politics, fighting, and war. Until Lord John Grey shows up with a summons that will take him away from everything he loves—again.

Lord John Grey—aristocrat, soldier, and occasional spy—finds himself in possession of a packet of explosive documents that exposes a damning case of corruption against a British officer. But they also hint at a more insidious danger. Time is of the essence as the investigation leads to Ireland, with a baffling message left in “Erse,” the tongue favored by Scottish Highlanders. Lord John recognizes the language all too well from his time as governor of Ardsmuir Prison, when it was full of Jacobite prisoners, including a certain Jamie Fraser.

Soon Lord John and Jamie are unwilling companions on the road to Ireland, a country whose dark castles hold dreadful secrets, and whose bogs hide the bones of the dead. A captivating return to the world Diana Gabaldon created in her Outlander and Lord John series, The Scottish Prisoner is another masterpiece of epic history, wicked deceit, and scores that can only be settled in blood.

- http://www.fictiondb.com

Lord John Grey--soldier, gentleman, and no mean hand with a blade--fights for his crown, his honor, and his own secrets. Set in the heart of the eighteenth century during the Seven Years' War.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,419,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible