The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon

The Scottish Prisoner (2011)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Lord John (3), Outlander (3.7)

English (42)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (44)
Fantastic book. I liked Jaime and John Grey's interactions together though my heart broke for Jaime since this is set in the time he and Claire are apart. ( )
  Traciinaz | Mar 17, 2016 |
Honestly. I got through CD #6 and realized for the last 1-1/2 I really hadn't listened closely. I need to be holding the book in my hands and reading the words to really be absorbing what is being said. I guess I'll get the paper version back from the library sometime soon. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Story ok but motivations for characters didn't seem believable in some cases. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
The Scottish Prisoner combines Lord John's and Jamie Fraser's timelines more so than any of the other books from either series. It also tells part of Jamie's life that isn't in the "Outlander" books. Chronologically, the story's events fall between Voyager and Drums of Autumn.

I've been told countless times that I need or should read the "Lord John" books, but I've never had any interest in them. If the series always featured Jamie, then I would read them with the same love I have for all things "Outlander", but otherwise, I'll pass, thank you. However, since The Scottish Prisoner does have Jamie in it, I was glad to pay money to buy the book. The story is exactly what you can expect from Diana Gabaldon. I loved it and got through it quickly. There were several nights when I stayed up later than I should have just to keep reading, and if there is any test to determine the quality of a book, that would be it. So, if you've read the "Outlander" series, at least up to Drums of Autumn, this book is well worth your time.

FortifiedByBooks | Oct 8, 2015 |
I have to say that even though Lord John is one of my favorite characters in Outlander I've never read any of his books. I tried, I just couldn't get into them. I picked this one up because of Jamie.

This one was different, it was great to see some of the back story between him and Jamie. I can't wait to read the next Outlander book :) ( )
  Marie113 | Mar 31, 2015 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holmes, RickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those selfless champions of a beautiful and beloved language who have so kindly helped me with Gaelic translations through the years:

Iain MacKinnon Taylor (and members of his family) (Gaelic/Gaidhlig): Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, and A Breath of Snow and Ashes

Catherine MacGregor and Catherine-Ann MacPhee (Gaelic/Gaidhlig): An Echo in the Bone, The Exile, and The Scottish Prisoner

Kevin Dooley (Irish/Gaeilge): The Scottish Prisoner

Moran Taing!
If you deal in death routinely, there are two paths.

Lord John Grey--soldier, gentleman, and no mean hand with a blade--fights for his crown, his honor, and his own secrets. Set in the heart of the eighteenth century during the Seven Years' War.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

572 wanted4 pay7 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,265,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible