The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon

The Scottish Prisoner (2011)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Lord John (3), Outlander (3.7)

6513614,803 (4)24

English (34)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (36)
Where I got the book: purchased at a conference. Signed.

The Scottish Prisoner could at a stretch be read as a standalone novel, but readers could potentially be confused by the references to events that happen within the Outlander series. This is, in fact, a full-length Outlander side-shoot, set at the point where Jamie is working out his sentence for his part in the Jacobite rebellion on an estate in England’s Lake District, believing Claire to be lost to him forever but still, naturally, pining for her.

And then Lord John Grey turns up to yank Jamie out of his daily grind as a groom and take him on a mission that involves a possible Irish Jacobite plot. This is the first time we see Jamie and John working together at length and more or less as equals, so for fans of the series it definitely has its strong points. It’s pretty much a straightforward adventure story with little or no romance, and its family focus is on Lord John’s family rather than on Jamie’s.

I like Lord John almost as much as I like Jamie, so I found it pretty interesting to have the two men together without Claire’s viewpoint. This really is a novel about men caught up in conflict more than anything else, although like all of Gabaldon’s long fiction it indulges in side trails into the supernatural, makes the most of Gabaldon’s research, and throws up new revelations about secondary characters that could possibly lay the ground for more books to come.

And I’ve already put the audiobook of Written in My Own Heart’s Blood on pre-order, so there’ll be more Jamie and Claire to come very soon. I don’t know if The Scottish Prisoner would be one I’d re-read, but heck, what am I to do? I’m committed to this series until Gabaldon ends it or her brain turns to mush, whichever is the sooner. Bets are on. ( )
  JaneSteen | May 26, 2014 |
Where to begin? I was pleased to read about Jamie and John. This book answered a lot of questions about their friendship. With Outlander series, not much is aid of Lord John Grey.

I love getting acquainted Hal and John. They are quite remarkable characters. They fight like any brother. But love and defend each other as fierce brothers should.

I want to give so much away, but promised I wouldn't spoil it. Such a wonderful story. A must read! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
Diana Gabaldon is my favorite author, but her Lord John books just haven't done it for me. I read one of them, but Grey doesn't hold my heart the way Jamie and Claire do, so I couldn't really get into it.

So I was a little hesitant to read The Scottish Prisoner, knowing that it takes place during the years Jamie and Claire were apart. Still, it had Jamie, so I couldn't resist. And I'm glad I didn't!

Yes, Grey was a prominent character throughout the book, but The Scottish Prisoner focused enough on Jamie that it worked for me. The scenes with Jamie and wee William, as well as the tangible force of Jamie's ache for Claire (and Brianna, though he doesn't know it at the time), was priceless.

The actual plot of the story (thwart the uprising and get the bad guy) was so so, but Gabaldon's brilliance in setting and historical placement shines.

In short, if you're missing Jamie Fraser, read this one. It won't be the crack high you get from him and Claire, but it should be enough to hold you for a bit while we're waiting for MOBY to come out in the fall of 2013. ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 7, 2014 |
The adventures of Lord John Grey - especially when they include one Jamie Fraser - never fail to delight and I particularly happy to see Jamie prominent in this addition to the Lord John series. In fact, Jamie's past figures largely in this novel, as he encounters connections from his time as a Jacobite rebel and pursues a potential rebel along side Lord John in Ireland. Fun reading and definitely a must for Diana Gabaldon fans! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jan 26, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holmes, RickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those selfless champions of a beautiful and beloved language who have so kindly helped me with Gaelic translations through the years:

Iain MacKinnon Taylor (and members of his family) (Gaelic/Gaidhlig): Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, and A Breath of Snow and Ashes

Catherine MacGregor and Catherine-Ann MacPhee (Gaelic/Gaidhlig): An Echo in the Bone, The Exile, and The Scottish Prisoner

Kevin Dooley (Irish/Gaeilge): The Scottish Prisoner

Moran Taing!
If you deal in death routinely, there are two paths.

The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon

London, 1760. For Jamie Fraser, paroled prisoner-of-war in the remote Lake District, life could be worse: He’s not cutting sugar cane in the West Indies, and he’s close enough to the son he cannot claim as his own. But Jamie Fraser’s quiet existence is coming apart at the seams, interrupted first by dreams of his lost wife, then by the appearance of Tobias Quinn, an erstwhile comrade from the Rising.

Like many of the Jacobites who aren’t dead or in prison, Quinn still lives and breathes for the Cause. His latest plan involves an ancient relic that will rally the Irish. Jamie is having none of it—he’s sworn off politics, fighting, and war. Until Lord John Grey shows up with a summons that will take him away from everything he loves—again.

Lord John Grey—aristocrat, soldier, and occasional spy—finds himself in possession of a packet of explosive documents that exposes a damning case of corruption against a British officer. But they also hint at a more insidious danger. Time is of the essence as the investigation leads to Ireland, with a baffling message left in “Erse,” the tongue favored by Scottish Highlanders. Lord John recognizes the language all too well from his time as governor of Ardsmuir Prison, when it was full of Jacobite prisoners, including a certain Jamie Fraser.

Soon Lord John and Jamie are unwilling companions on the road to Ireland, a country whose dark castles hold dreadful secrets, and whose bogs hide the bones of the dead. A captivating return to the world Diana Gabaldon created in her Outlander and Lord John series, The Scottish Prisoner is another masterpiece of epic history, wicked deceit, and scores that can only be settled in blood.

- http://www.fictiondb.com

Lord John Grey--soldier, gentleman, and no mean hand with a blade--fights for his crown, his honor, and his own secrets. Set in the heart of the eighteenth century during the Seven Years' War.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,111,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible