All That I Am by Anna Funder

All That I Am (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Anna Funder

463None22,426 (3.72)37
Member:ilovejfranzen
Title:All That I Am
Authors:Anna Funder
Info:Viking (2012), Paperback, 384 pages

All That I Am: A Novel by Anna Funder (2011)

English (32)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (36)
Il found this very interesting, moreso because it was historical fiction of peoples' lives trying to warn Europe regarding the events in Nazi Germany. I cared about many of the characters, although I did not find it easy to know them all. I also did not always know the exact time frame, but I do not feel that was important. Knowing the risks these people took made the novel worthwhile. ( )
  suesbooks | Apr 4, 2014 |
Ruth Becker, defiant and cantankerous, is an old lady in Sydney. She has made an uneasy peace with the ghosts of her past. Another lifetime away, it's 1939 and the world is going to war. Ernst Toller sits in a New York hotel room settling up the account of his life. When Toller's story arrives on Ruth's doorstep their shared past slips under her defences, and she's right back there - in Nazi Germany - where they were tested, and in some cases found wanting, in the face of hatred, of art, of love, and of history.
  storyLines | Jan 5, 2014 |
  jll1976 | Oct 30, 2013 |
This is one of my favourite novels. ( )
  Rosa_B | Oct 3, 2013 |
The winner of Australia’s Miles Franklin Award and several other prizes, Funder’s WWII drama, All That I Am, is said to be based on real characters. A group of left-wing German activists find themselves self-exiled to England when Hitler comes to power in the 1930s. From their London base, they try to alert the world to the human-rights atrocities being perpetrated by Hitler’s government. With hindsight, we think all should have listened. But no one did.

I found this to be very powerful in an elegant, understated fashion, and think it well-deserving of the prizes and honourable mentions that it garnered.

Read this if: you’re interested in a slightly different perspective on Hitler’s rise to power. 4½ stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Jul 28, 2013 |
In memory of Ruth Blatt (née Koplowitz)
When Hitler came to power I was in the bath.

When eighteen-year-old Ruth Becker visits her cousin Dora in Munich in 1923, she meets the love of her life, the dashing young journalist Hans Wesemann, and eagerly joins in the heady activities of the militant political Left in Germany. Ten years later, Ruth and Hans are married and living in Weimar Berlin when Hitler is elected chancellor of Germany. Together with Dora and her lover, Ernst Toller, the celebrated poet and self-doubting revolutionary, the four become hunted outlaws overnight and are forced to flee to London. Inspired by the fearless Dora to breathtaking acts of courage, the friends risk betrayal and deceit as they dedicate themselves to a dangerous mission: to inform the British government of the very real Nazi threat to which it remains willfully blind. All That I Am is the heartbreaking story of these extraordinary people, who discover that Hitler’s reach extends much further than they had thought.

Gripping, compassionate, and inspiring, this remarkable debut novel reveals an uncommon depth of humanity and wisdom. Anna Funder has given us a searing and intimate portrait of courage and its price, of desire and ambition, and of the devastating consequences when they are thwarted.

The story of two Jewish Germans -- Hans and Ruth Wesemann -- who resisted Hitler in the 1930s. Based on real events.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,447,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible