All That I Am by Anna Funder

All That I Am (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Anna Funder

Member:ilovejfranzen
Title:All That I Am
Authors:Anna Funder
Info:Viking (2012), Paperback, 384 pages

All That I Am: A Novel by Anna Funder (2011)

English (34)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (38)
A complex story set in the years following the Nazis coming to power in Germany and the outbreak of WW11 that focuses on German political exiles in London. Funder brings a relatively unknown (at least to me) bit of history to life in a taut, but ultimately extremely bleak story involving betrayal of the highest order. There are no happy endings for any involved. ( )
  sianpr | Jun 11, 2014 |
I know this book has won an award and I was looking forward to reading it for a book club meeting but I was disappinted with it. The historical aspect of the book was interesting and needs to be told especially since it is a story built around real people. I did no know that there were people exiled from Germany working in England, trying to make people aware, unsuccessfully, of what was happening in Germany. I found the format that it was written in difficult to get used to, that the story is told by two characters Ruth and Toller and that in each of their sections the time period moves forward and back. I did not really become emotionally attached to the characters and found too that there were too many minor characters so that at times it was difficult to keep track of them. there was not a lot of detail about them. It was not a gripping read for me - in some ways I was just reading to get to the end. ( )
  kiwifortyniner | May 12, 2014 |
Il found this very interesting, moreso because it was historical fiction of peoples' lives trying to warn Europe regarding the events in Nazi Germany. I cared about many of the characters, although I did not find it easy to know them all. I also did not always know the exact time frame, but I do not feel that was important. Knowing the risks these people took made the novel worthwhile. ( )
  suesbooks | Apr 4, 2014 |
Ruth Becker, defiant and cantankerous, is an old lady in Sydney. She has made an uneasy peace with the ghosts of her past. Another lifetime away, it's 1939 and the world is going to war. Ernst Toller sits in a New York hotel room settling up the account of his life. When Toller's story arrives on Ruth's doorstep their shared past slips under her defences, and she's right back there - in Nazi Germany - where they were tested, and in some cases found wanting, in the face of hatred, of art, of love, and of history.
  storyLines | Jan 5, 2014 |
  jll1976 | Oct 30, 2013 |
In memory of Ruth Blatt (née Koplowitz)
When Hitler came to power I was in the bath.

When eighteen-year-old Ruth Becker visits her cousin Dora in Munich in 1923, she meets the love of her life, the dashing young journalist Hans Wesemann, and eagerly joins in the heady activities of the militant political Left in Germany. Ten years later, Ruth and Hans are married and living in Weimar Berlin when Hitler is elected chancellor of Germany. Together with Dora and her lover, Ernst Toller, the celebrated poet and self-doubting revolutionary, the four become hunted outlaws overnight and are forced to flee to London. Inspired by the fearless Dora to breathtaking acts of courage, the friends risk betrayal and deceit as they dedicate themselves to a dangerous mission: to inform the British government of the very real Nazi threat to which it remains willfully blind. All That I Am is the heartbreaking story of these extraordinary people, who discover that Hitler’s reach extends much further than they had thought.

Gripping, compassionate, and inspiring, this remarkable debut novel reveals an uncommon depth of humanity and wisdom. Anna Funder has given us a searing and intimate portrait of courage and its price, of desire and ambition, and of the devastating consequences when they are thwarted.

The story of two Jewish Germans -- Hans and Ruth Wesemann -- who resisted Hitler in the 1930s. Based on real events.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible