Out in Blue (Return to Sanctuary) by Sarah…

Out in Blue (Return to Sanctuary) (edition 2013)

by Sarah Gilman

Member:thebumblegirl
Title:Out in Blue (Return to Sanctuary)
Authors:Sarah Gilman
Info:Entangled Select (2013), Edition: 2, Paperback, 352 pages

Out In Blue : RETURN TO SANCTUARY - Book One by Sarah Gilman

Out in Blue is a paranormal romance set in a world where archangels, demons, and humans coexist. Archangels are a rare find, have been portrayed as evil, and have been hunted by poachers almost to the point of extinction. The feathers from an archangel are considered precious and bring an extremely high price. The story begins with Ginger overhearing some poachers talk about an archangel, where he is staying, and how they plan to capture him. Ginger is a human who was taken in and raised by a demon after her parents were killed. Unlike most humans, Ginger knows the truth about archangels and how highly valued they are. Her father, Devin, is a Guardian. Guardians are demons that are sworn to, and live to protect archangels. They live in colonies specially designed for just that purpose. Ginger was raised in one of these colonies. After overhearing the poachers plan, Ginger immediately calls her father, who arranges to send help and warns Ginger not to get involved, fearing for her safety. Ginger, more worried about the safety of the archangel than herself, heads to his location to warn him anyway. She arrives before the poachers, but the archangel isn't there. She hides outside waiting for him to return, desperate to warn him that the poachers are already there. When he does return,she screams warning him, and he takes off in flight. Unfortunately, the poachers grab Ginger instead.

Wren can't believe what he is seeing. He's been on his own since he was 15 years old, forsaking the protection of the Guardians after one of them betrayed his family, killing his mother and father. He cannot figure out why this human is helping him, but when he sees her captured by the poachers, he knows they will kill her if he doesn't do something. He swoops down and saves her, telling her to run, but ends up getting shot himself in the process. Ginger knows she just can't leave him, so she sneaks back to the farmhouse where Wren has been loaded in a van. She manages to steal the van with Wren inside and get them to safety. Ginger thinks Wren is the most beautiful thing she has ever seen and is immediately smitten with him. Wren in turn can't understand his attraction to this human and his need to protect her. She takes care of his injury and nurses him back to help, but their reprieve from the poachers is short-lived. Wren finally agrees to accept help from the Guardians, for Ginger's sake, but things get even more intense. They make it back to Sanctuary, but not without injury. In this place of safety, the battle intensifies, and so does the relationship between Wren and Ginger. They learn that the Guardian who killed Wren's parents is holding someone very dear to Wren, but will Wren be able to save this loved one and protect this woman who has become so dear to his heart?

I really enjoyed Out in Blue. I liked Sarah Gilman's take on archangels and demons, which was original and gets even more creative as the story progresses, with twists and turns I didn't see coming. I really like Wren, he was a broken individual who had lost his ability to trust, something that Ginger was helping to heal and restore in him. I liked Ginger a lot also. She was extremely loyal and willing to do anything she could to protect and help Wren, even if that means leaving. They fall hard for each other, and in the midst of the chaos love perseveres and prevails, as more is revealed about who Ginger really is, who is really behind the threats to Wren and the colony, and just what it means to be willing to give your life for the one you love. Out in Blue is a great paranormal romance that is filled with action, danger, mystery, and of course the hot romance. If you enjoy paranormal romance, angels, and demons, then you will appreciate Sarah Gilman's unique twist on archangels and demons, as well as all the interesting elements that are added into the story and revealed as it progresses, making Out in Blue a very interesting and entertaining read. ( )
  alwaysyaatheart | Mar 4, 2013 |
Sarah Gilman's take on fallen angels and demons is like no other that I have ever read before - this story captured my attention within the first few pages...

The author immediately throws us into Ginger's world where archangels exist - fallen angels, humans think that they are disgusting, evil and don't deserve to live. There aren't many left, but they do exist. Poachers hunt them down for their feathers - feathers softer than silk - and a box full can bring in millions of dollars.

Ginger is minding her own business and having a cup of coffee when she overhears a conversation - a group of poachers have found where an archangel has been hiding and they are planning on waiting for his return to capture him, take his feathers and then kill him.
But Ginger is not your ordinary human, she grew up with the Guardians - Demons whose job is to protect the archangels. And she would be dishonoring her father if she didn't do something to stop these poachers. Her plan gets askew a bit, but in the end, she does end up saving the archangel, known as Wren.

There is an instant connection and attraction between these two, but it was written so well and convincingly, I barely noticed it, and actually liked what was going on between them.
Ginger never showed any weakness, yes there are moments when she worries and was frightened, but she never backed down and always became better and stronger when she stood her ground.
Wren, there are no words to best describe him. His pride was strong and heartening, but even so, he never took shame in his weakest moments and never held back when it came to showing his love.
What I really loved about both Ginger and Wren was their strong bond of family and loyalty. It is rare to find a story where the bonds of family and friends, no matter how they came about, are so strong and heartfelt.

Out In Blue is brilliantly told from two different point-of-views. Both main characters, Ginger and Wren, have such refreshing voices where they spoke their mind and were honest with everyone, especially with each other. Nothing was ever a game to them.
Sarah Gilman's writing is fluent and capturing - she gives us just enough to picture the story in our minds, but not too much, which is something that I love when an author can accomplish this. It gives the reader the freedom to add in the extra small details that they would like to and make it their own.

Even if you're not a fan of angel-type stories, I would still highly recommend this book to you! It is so unique and believable, it will definitely have you looking up to the sky, searching for a fallen star... an archangel. ( )
  thebumblegirl | Feb 27, 2013 |
I just couldn't get into this book and not because it was a bad book, but because to me it read as a YA with an insta-love plot. Wren is an archangel who lost both parents to a horrific murder by a close friend who then runs away to live by himself. Ginger was brought up by a demon and has been sent away to experience human life. This brings us to them meeting by Ginger saving Wren from poachers (three armed poachers). Ginger takes him to a place to recover and BAM- starts falling in love. Next day they take a shower and BAM- their in love. If it would've been spread over a few weeks as opposed to a few days I think I would've enjoyed it more. I like a slow build to a relationship not immediate. That being said I will probably still read the next book just because I'd like to see where this series is heading. ( )
  amdrane2 | Feb 6, 2013 |
Posted on: http://readersedyn.blogspot.com/

Review:
So I am at somewhat of an impasse with this book. There was a lot that I enjoyed, but a few things that I struggled with as well. First, I really liked the idea of the story. I haven’t come across any romance/paranormal involving fallen archangels and demons as their elite protective body guards (Guardians). I was also hooked by the cover. When I am unfamiliar with an author, the cover plays a huge role in my decision to both purchase and buy. The cover wooed me immediately. Kudos to Gilman for realizing and delivering on the importance of a cover that grabs the reader!

The story itself is captivating and unpredictable. I was not able to predict what would happen next for most of the book. My attention was held until very near the end, when the story seemed to lose a bit of its hold on me.

There are two major problems that I have that left a bad taste in my mouth. The first is that the characters were in-love faster than instantly. There was no attraction, no conflict over whether or not each was really in-love; it was just kind of BAM, right there. Now I am all for the instant attraction that inevitably turns to love, but this was so quick it bordered crazy. Wren’s use of “Gin-love” for Ginger and both of them referring to each other as “mates”, kind of put a damper on things for me. Not to mention the eternal bond created when mating. I would think any woman with common sense would step back a second and really evaluate such a monumental decision with everlasting effects. The other problem that kind of irked me was that the story fell flat toward the end. By that time it was predictable in the sense that you knew what choices would be made and what the outcome would be. I just had a problem with everything being wrapped up so quick and pretty in contrast to all of the drama that took place in the rest of the story.

What really disappointed me was that I received mixed signals from the author. Well, it actually began with the publisher’s disclaimer “Paranomal with Strong Romantic Elements”. What? Okay, I suppose I set myself up for disappointment based on the untrue disclaimer, but I dislike when I feel unfulfilled. Don’t get me wrong. I appreciate the tamer varieties of novels. After all, I have friends and family who do not appreciate the erotic genres. But I am stuck because the sex is tame, but then you have F**K thrown out in quite a few places, not really allowing me to recommend this book to the more conservative reader. The absence of the F-word would have allowed me to hit an entirely different group of readers that might not normally venture towards a paranormal romance. Granted, the situations likely would have called for an F-bomb or two, but as a reader/reviewer, I need to know who to recommend the books I read to; a struggle I am currently in the midst of.

Personal negatives stated, these complaints are really quite trivial compared to some books I have read. Nor are they big enough to keep me from giving Gilman another shot. I liked that the epilogue gave a quick glimpse into how Wren and Ginger were doing while simultaneously setting up Jett’s story for the next book in the series. Jett very obviously has a helluva past and a ton of issues to sort through. The book has a solid set-up, I just hope that it lives up to its potential. Gilman clearly has a terrific idea in the Return to Sanctuary series. She did her job I pulling me in with both description and cover. I choose to look favorable toward the future in assuming she will keep me interested in Jett’s story and the multitude of unanswered questions about his life that the book will undoubtedly address. Overall, this book was entertaining. Despite my issues with the book, I feel that my time was well spent. Out in Blue is worth the read, so check it out.

(E-book won on Blog contest, http://booksonthehouse.com ) ( )
  GzNKz4evr | Sep 22, 2011 |
I really enjoyed this urban fantasy/paranormal romance. In this world angels fall, are protected by demons, and are hunted by humans for their feathers. Wren watched his family's guardian demon betray them and kill his parents when he was ten years old. He has been on the run from both guardians and humans ever since.

Ginger overhears human poachers discussing the angel that they have located and rushes off to try to rescue him. After all, she was raised by a demon and knows about angels. When the rescue attempt goes awry, Ginger and Wren are both on the run. The poachers do let slip that the father he thought was dead has been the prisoner of the poachers and their rogue demon leader for eighteen years. Wren is determined to rescue him and reluctantly goes to the demons for assistance.

Along the way, Ginger and Wren fall in love. But Wren is afraid to commit to her because the demon who killed and tortured his parents had said that worse would happen to anyone Wren loved. Wren also has an unusual psychic power. He can kill anyone he touches. A previous love interest was afraid of him and feared his power. He is afraid that Ginger won't be able to cope with it either.

The book is filled with interesting mythology about angels and demons. I also very much enjoyed the romance between Ginger and Wren. I recommend this one to readers who like paranormal romance and like angels. I can't wait for more books in the Sanctuary series. ( )
  kmartin802 | Aug 21, 2011 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,465,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible