Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard

Wanderlove

by Kirsten Hubbard

Recently added byprivate library, SydneyKrause, margaraawr, sreeparna, Renn_22, Glire, CircaBooks

“See, wanderlust is like itchy feet.” [...] “It’s when you can’t settle down. But Wanderlove is much deeper than that… it’s a compulsion. It’s the difference between lust and love.”

Wanderlove is a coming of age story about Bria, an 18 recent high school graduate who is getting over her first bad breakup. Her and her ex had been planning a trip together but after the breakup she decides it’d still be a good idea to go off by herself to gain some much needed independence.

So… Wanderlove. Easily one of those books I’ve been wanting to read forever but because of the hype I had been putting it off. And so two years later, I finally picked it up. Gawd. Was this ever one giant massive disappointment. Baa Baa Black Sheep, I know.

I was initially interested in this because I have a strong desire to travel the world someday, but don’t we all? Given this fantastic opportunity to travel wherever she chose to before going off to college seemed like a dream come true. The one thing I loved about this novel were the vivid descriptions of her surroundings. They definitely made me want to see the sights first-hand. The one thing I did not love was Bria. Bria’s heart was in the right place, having the desire to gain some independence and feel like she could get out into the world and take proper care of herself without anybody else. I could understand and appreciate that need to prove to yourself that you can do it on your own.

The trip started off right, but it slowly morphed into Bria trying to be somebody completely different, somebody that wasn’t even close to her seemingly true personality. It felt out of character despite how little I knew of her as a character. Then issues started coming out about things that she refused to do, primarily swimming, which we’re told had something to do with her ex-boyfriend. I feared the worst, thinking some sort of violence happened to her in the water. No, it was far less dramatic than that.

There were other major issues I had and most of them had to do with Bria putting her trust into strangers and going off with them into the mountains of Central America without even informing her parents she was leaving her tour group. Now maybe I’m a little hardened having seen Taken one too many times, but that whole situation was a recipe for disaster. Of course nothing of the sort happened and Liam didn’t need to come save her but the possibility of disaster ruined the whole ‘adventure’ for me. Add to that, as the book progressed it slowly became less about independence and more about the new guy she found.

Overall, I was massively disappointed. I wanted this to be more ‘coming-of-age’ and less ‘romance’ and I definitely wanted to love it like everyone else seems to. Bria’s desire for independence kept me reading in hopes that she’d truly find it but the end result had me wishing I had quit while I was ahead. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | Sep 18, 2014 |
Wanderlove by Kristen Hubbard is the story of Bria, an 18 year old, newly graduated high school student as she travels to the countries of Guatemala and Belize. As she takes the plunge and leaves the safety of her tour group to take up back packing with brother and sister, Rowan and Starling, why she is traveling alone, her pain about the break-up with her boyfriend, and the reason she has given up her art are slowly revealed.

Although I am far from the target audience for this book, it is a well told story about getting past the curves that life throws at you and about learning to move forward. By jumping off into the unknown, Bria also learns that her feelings of self-worth are not dependant on others, but rather on herself. By healing and absorbing these life lessons, she is also able to guide Rowan forward and they are able to make plans together for the future.

If I had read this book at a young age, I am sure I would have grabbed a backpack and hit the road. The descriptions of Mayan ruins, beautiful Caribbean beaches, and local markets are exotic, Her tales of the back packing life has an authentic ring. Wanderlust was a pleasant surprise with the added bonus of being illustrated by some of the author’s own drawings. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 21, 2014 |
I won this book in a giveaways (SQUEE!) a while back~
Wanderlove is a story of a girl learning to become independent, of finding out just what she can do and how strong she can really be, and of healing.
WHAT I LIKED

There is definitely something charming about this whole story.

First, there is the TRAVELING. It was really lovely seeing all these different places I've never been to through the eyes of the characters. I always enjoy travel books because I feel like it's me going far and wide and seeing all these sights ;) And here, it was ten times more beautiful both because of the sights and how we got to see them (We saw things only 'expert backpackers do', but saw them with the excitement and freshness of a traveling newbie)

And to the sights were added THE DRAWINGS
The book is filled with illustrations, as Bria, the main character is an artist. I was told the author is the one who drew them, and they really are gorgeous and added to the story...

To read this review and more, go to my blog Drugs Called Books ( )
  Nitzan_Schwarz | Sep 25, 2013 |
This book really resonated with me, as it took me back to a time in my life when I backpacked for 7 weeks as an 18-year-old. The details were slightly different, but the essence of what it is like to be a young nonconformist and off-the-beaten-path wanderer was really well-captured. Loved this quote from the book: "You got to find your own places. The places you get, girl, the ones that stick in your heart. And if you're lucky, you find people to share them with." If you love traveling, you'll appreciate this one. ( )
  jacquiemak | Sep 22, 2013 |
I'll write a longer review when I'm not so exhausted but I'll simply say for now that Wanderlove is a wonderful, extremely readable book about discovery, the uncertainties of life and the realisation that it's okay not to have everything sorted out right away. Packed full of deftly developed characters and an extremely relatable heroine with depths and complexities, one who makes mistakes, realises this and grows accordingly, this book is wonderfully refreshing and realistic in ways too many YA novels these days aren't. While there were some pacing issues, that didn't turn me off and I found Wanderlove to be so warm and inviting, full of the love and wonder for its characters and world in many of the same ways a travel guide describes its chosen places.

(I promise I'll write a better review soon!) ( )
  Ceilidhann | Sep 20, 2013 |

Bria, an aspiring artist just graduated from high school, takes off for Central America's La Ruta Maya, rediscovering her talents and finding love.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible