The Mirror of Her Dreams by Stephen R.…

The Mirror of Her Dreams (1986)

by Stephen R. Donaldson

Series: Mordant's Need (1)

An interesting premise, though long and drawn out, with the characters exhibiting the same behavior over and over again to the frustration and annoyance of the reader. I felt like the characters weren't learning anything about their situation or themselves. To me, Terisa was extremely unlikable. I didn't feel sympathy for her plight at all. As I said, the premise of the book was interesting, using mirrors to translate between worlds instead of to look at one's image. ( )
  briandrewz | Jul 30, 2016 |
With The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Stephen R. Donaldson changed the face of fantasy fiction forever. In The Mirror of Her Dreams, the astonishing first novel in the two-volume Mordant’s Need series, Donaldson shows us a world of wondrous beauty and seductive illusion, where mirrors hold the deadliest of magics and nothing is what it seems. . . .

The daughter of rich but neglectful parents, Terisa Morgan lives alone in a New York City apartment, a young woman who has grown to doubt her own existence. Surrounded by the flat reassurance of mirrors, she leads an unfulfilled life—until the night a strange man named Geraden comes crashing through one of her mirrors, on a quest to find a champion to save his kingdom of Mordant from a pervasive evil that threatens the land. Terisa is no champion. She wields neither magic nor power. And yet, much to her own surprise, when Geraden begs her to come back with him, she agrees.

bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
Despite this being sort of a slow read, I really enjoyed this story. The magic was interesting and filled with philosophical queries. Whilst the plot was slow paced, it was quite enjoyable and really interesting.

I will definitely be reading the sequel, soon. ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 17, 2015 |

I will definitely be reading the sequel, soon. ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 17, 2015 |
Admittedly, I skipped over the last almost 100 pages of this book but you have to understand - I WAS SO BORED. I read the last few pages and when it was clear there was going to be no resolution to this incredibly uninteresting story, I gave it up. ( )
  sixteendays | Jun 11, 2015 |

Stephen R. Donaldsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Steeped in the vacuum of her dreams,
A mirror's empty till
A man rides through it."
---John Myers Myers, Silverlock
To Ross McGuire Donaldson:
for love,
laughter,
and just enough dignity.
PROLOGUE: TERISA AND GERADEN

The story of Terisa and Geraden began very much like a fable.
ONE: CALLING

The night before Geraden came for her, Terisa Morgan had a dream---one of the few she could ever remember.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345346971, Mass Market Paperback)

Once again Stephen R. Donaldson, has created a shining example that proves his gift as a master storyteller. It is the story of Terisa Morgan and Geraden, son of the Domme, set in the strange land called Mordant. It is a rich and finely textured novel of love and lust, power and court politics, in a place where nothing is ever what it seems....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

"In The Mirror of Her Dreams, the astonishing first novel in the two-volume Mordant's Need series, Donaldson shows us a world of wondrous beauty and seductive illusion, where mirrors hold the deadliest of magics and nothing is what it seems. . . . The daughter of rich but neglectful parents, Terisa Morgan lives alone in a New York City apartment, a young woman who has grown to doubt her own existence. Surrounded by the flat reassurance of mirrors, she leads an unfulfilled life--until the night a strange man named Geraden comes crashing through one of her mirrors, on a quest to find a champion to save his kingdom of Mordant from a pervasive evil that threatens the land. Terisa is no champion. She wields neither magic nor power. And yet, much to her own surprise, when Geraden begs her to come back with him, she agrees. Now, in a culture where women are little more than the playthings of powerful men, in a castle honeycombed with secret passages and clever traps, in a kingdom threatened from without and within by enemies able to appear and vanish out of thin air, Terisa must become more than the pale reflection of a person. For the way back to Earth is closed to her. And the enemies of Mordant will stop at nothing to see her dead."--Back cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,183,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible