The Mirror of Her Dreams by Stephen R.…

The Mirror of Her Dreams (1986)

by Stephen R. Donaldson

Series: Mordant's Need (1)

This story (both part 1 and 2) is probably Stephen Donaldson's best. I often think of the king and his jester. This book is simply magnificent. ( )
  Debjani_Ray | Apr 30, 2014 |
I read this book...hmmm, about 20 years ago, and at the risk of sounding like some sort of groupie, I have to say, I still think about these characters! I love them. The characters, the plot, and setting are simply unforgettable. A masterful story woven by a true story teller. It is one of my favorite books ever...and I just realized it is available in ebook. Time to read it again!

Highly recommended! ( )
  LeslieGNelson | Sep 15, 2013 |
It's been years since I have re-read this unusual fantasy duology from Donaldson. I found that I still really enjoy it, and as an adult (as opposed to the teenager I was when I last read it), I understood more of the layers of what was happening in the plot than in previous readings of the story. I still think the idea of mirrors not reflecting what is in front of them, but showing images of other places or times that the creator of the mirror can travel to by stepping THROUGH the mirror, fascinating. I find Terisa's journey fascinating for this reason--for if a place like this (so similar to our own, yet so fundamentally different) really existed, and I was translated there, could I cope even as well as Terisa does?

That being said, sometimes Terisa is a very difficult character to read about--it just takes her SO LONG to grow a backbone and start taking charge of her life. One would think that someone in such extraordinary circumstances would DO more with herself--and yet, upon this reading, I keep thinking that she does do something...its just that she does a lot more inner work, building up her sense of self (and gradually done, as I suppose in "real life" it would be) rather than outward action.

If you find this book slow reading, stay with it. I remember the second book being fantastic, and I hope my re-reading of that novel is as good as I remember it! ( )
2 vote puttocklibrary | Apr 11, 2013 |
Another re read of an old favourite. While I could never get in to the Chronicles as I found Thomas to whiny (though I will confess it has been a good 20 years since I tried) I do like Mordant's Need. Terisa passivity and self doubt can be annoying at times but Gereden must be one of the most endearing characters in Fantasy.

I do find The Mirror drags a little at times (lots of meeting and talking), but there is lots of establishing of the situation and plot and probably very realistically lots of confusion as to who is 'good' or 'bad'. ( )
  SpicyCat | Jan 14, 2013 |
MORDANTS NEED
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |

Stephen R. Donaldsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Steeped in the vacuum of her dreams,
A mirror's empty till
A man rides through it."
---John Myers Myers, Silverlock
To Ross McGuire Donaldson:
for love,
laughter,
and just enough dignity.
PROLOGUE: TERISA AND GERADEN

The story of Terisa and Geraden began very much like a fable.
ONE: CALLING

The night before Geraden came for her, Terisa Morgan had a dream---one of the few she could ever remember.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345346971, Mass Market Paperback)

Once again Stephen R. Donaldson, has created a shining example that proves his gift as a master storyteller. It is the story of Terisa Morgan and Geraden, son of the Domme, set in the strange land called Mordant. It is a rich and finely textured novel of love and lust, power and court politics, in a place where nothing is ever what it seems....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:16 -0400)

"In The Mirror of Her Dreams, the astonishing first novel in the two-volume Mordant's Need series, Donaldson shows us a world of wondrous beauty and seductive illusion, where mirrors hold the deadliest of magics and nothing is what it seems. . . . The daughter of rich but neglectful parents, Terisa Morgan lives alone in a New York City apartment, a young woman who has grown to doubt her own existence. Surrounded by the flat reassurance of mirrors, she leads an unfulfilled life--until the night a strange man named Geraden comes crashing through one of her mirrors, on a quest to find a champion to save his kingdom of Mordant from a pervasive evil that threatens the land. Terisa is no champion. She wields neither magic nor power. And yet, much to her own surprise, when Geraden begs her to come back with him, she agrees. Now, in a culture where women are little more than the playthings of powerful men, in a castle honeycombed with secret passages and clever traps, in a kingdom threatened from without and within by enemies able to appear and vanish out of thin air, Terisa must become more than the pale reflection of a person. For the way back to Earth is closed to her. And the enemies of Mordant will stop at nothing to see her dead."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,884,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible