Dread on Arrival by Claudia Bishop
23None456,383 (3.58)3

Synopsis: Sara settles into her role as a mother, enjoying watching Jack grow as well as his interactions with his adopted grandmother, Doreen. This idyllic setting is upset by the appearance of Edmund Tree, the host of 'Your Ancestor's Attic' (think 'Antiques Roadshow') and his fiancée, Rose Ellen Whitman. The filming of his program and their impending nuptials end with, of course, murder.
Review: This is another fun romp through inn keeping and meal preparations. This particular story builds the 'who done it' suspense across the entire book with the very cleaver reveal coming in the last chapter. ( )
  DrLed | Jan 29, 2014 |
Another Hemlock Falls mystery from Claudia Bishop. Love the characters of Quill and her sister, Meg, and their bed and breakfast of death. People keep getting killed there or near there, and Quill always seems to figure out the mystery. A fun beach read. ( )
  dd196406 | Oct 2, 2012 |
I don't usually give a three rating to a cozy! I struggled to get into the story this time. Maybe if I had read all the books in the series before this, I would have enjoyed it more.

Usually a cozy has the murder fairly early in the book but this one did not appear until page 174. Also, it the guilty suspect was obvious to me.

There was some wit and humor in the book but I think that the book could have been enriched with more. Some of the recipes were dreadful but was that on purpose? The one for squirrels had me perplexed.

Now the good points of the book. I loved the setting in a small town, Hemlock Falls. Also, the idea of mimicking Antique Roadside and some TV shows that look for treasure in junk really sounded like a wonderful book idea. But I got bored by the spats by the three female main characters, Meg Quillen, Sarah Quillen and Clarissa Sparrow. I felt relief when Jack, Meg's son had short parts in the story.

Sorry, but in my opinion, this one cozy that I am not too crazy about. ( )
  Carolee888 | Jul 19, 2012 |

"The gost of the television show Your Ancestor's Attic and the producer of its competition, Pawn-O-Rama, couldn't be more different. Ancestor's Edmund Tree is a mean-spirited, snobbish Brit, while Pawn's Belter Barcini is a T-shirted, armpit-scratching thug. Their already bitter rivalry heats up when they come to Hemlock Falls to have it out in a cooking contest in the elegant test kitchen of Bonne GoutŠe Culinary Academy"--Publisher.… (more)

21 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible