Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen…

Seriously...I'm Kidding

by Ellen DeGeneres

English (61)  German (1)  All languages (62)
Dear Ellen,

I'm a great fan. Not an oscillating fan... but a person that thoroughly enjoys watching your show and laughing at your jokes/non-jokes (although, how cool would it be to be an oscillating fan?! You'd never suffer from heat strokes or anything like that!). Reading your book made me realize a couple of things about you:

1- You are an incredibly random person
2- You have a short attention span (like me!)
3- I read the whole book in your voice, which was a bit creepy... but still.
4- Sour Neon Gummy Worms aren't really sour... or neon... are they neon in your stomach or something like that? (totally unrelated, I know)
5- Hearing the Les Misérables soundrack at full volume while your neighbors are listening to reggaeton isn't a good idea... they obviously clash I mean, hello, reggaeton's bass is much deeper than Hugh Jackman's voice.
6- What was I doing again? Oh, right. Your book.
7- I should probably be writting a review right now...
8- Oh look, a fly just landed on my keyboard %#&ETbfakjszvE#... sorry about that. Tried to kill it.
9- Ugh.. I should really review this book right now...

Yours sincerely,

Marianne (or in other words, incredibly sexy beast... whichever you may choose)

Disclaimer: The above written "letter" isn't real. I don't actually think like that.

So... I love Ellen. She's incredibly funny and cool. But... she's not a writer.. she's more of a joke teller.

Did I hate the book? No. Did I like it? Sure. Do I think it has an amazing storyline? None whatsoever.

I didn't learn anything about her, except that maybe she has a short attention span and is pretty lazy. There were parts in the book where I thought: "Wow, maybe I'm going to finally learn something amazing from Ellen's life.", and then she'd trail off and start talking about a Swiffer sweeper. Yep, a Swiffer is incredibly life changing.. The book concentrated more on making you laugh instead of actually being a "biography/memoir".

Did I laugh like crazy? Of course I did. Ellen's hilarious. And incredibly sexy Just kidding. Maybe not

If I had to rate this book based on it's actual literary importance? 2.5 stars and I'm being very nice.

If I had to rate it by how much it made me laugh? Probably 4 stars.

mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
Awesome! Laugh out loud humor! ( )
  The_reading_swimmer | Jun 21, 2015 |
A light hearted and funny book to read. It has been written in a style that you can imagine it being delivering it as a stand up comedy routine. I did enjoy reading this book, but I hope one day that Ellen will write an autobiography instead of just light hearted comedy. ( )
  amme_mr | May 5, 2015 |
I am so glad I read the public library's copy of this. I would be really mad if I shelled out $20 for this drivel. I like watching Ellen on TV, she's funny and energetic. This book is a complete insult to her fans, though. What an obvious no-effort cash-grab! This "book" is full of random little lists and things. I can't even call them "essays" just "cute" (I guess) lists of what she was randomly thinking about when she sat down to write this.There is ZERO substance here. Worse than disappointing, I actually feel insulted that Ellen apparently thinks her fans are stupid enough to be amused by this half-hearted, half-finished, unstructured, substance-less crap. ( )
  catfantastic | Apr 13, 2015 |
Ultra-light, silly humor is all this is... but then, that's all it is supposed to be. If you want wry, clever wit, or humor with a profound message under the laughs, then this isn't for you. But if you've ever watched Ellen Degeneres doing anything, then you should know what to expect, and you will find it impossible to read without hearing her voice in your head. ( )
  fingerpost | Feb 9, 2015 |

I've experienced a lot the last few years and I have a lot to share. So I hope that you'll take a moment to sit back, relax and enjoy the words I've put together for you in this book. I think you'll find I've left no stone unturned, no door unopened, no window unbroken, no rug unvacuumed, no ivories untickled. What I'm saying is, let us begin, shall we?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:30 -0400)

The stand-up comedian, television host, best-selling author and actress candidly discusses her personal life, her professional career and describes what it was like to become a judge on American Idol.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,950,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible