Flunking Sainthood: A Year of Breaking the…

Flunking Sainthood: A Year of Breaking the Sabbath, Forgetting to Pray,… (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Jana Riess

Member:jaharbaugh
Title:Flunking Sainthood: A Year of Breaking the Sabbath, Forgetting to Pray, and Still Loving My Neighbor
Authors:Jana Riess
Info:Paraclete Press (2011), Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:spirituality, prayer

Flunking Sainthood: A Year of Breaking the Sabbath, Forgetting to Pray, and Still Loving My Neighbor by Jana Riess (2011)

"She's a bit perky," I said to my husband (who had recommended this book to me), after reading the opening bits. But her story of dipping her toe into 12 different ancient spiritual practices is a wonderful explanation & picture of the practices, as well as how they "feel" to the seeker. It's worth a read, especially for people looking for God, or a deeper knowledge of the Holy One. ( )
  jaharbaugh | Jan 5, 2013 |
This is a humorously written book on spiritual practices and how deceptively difficult it can be to follow through on them. Why that should be true (the deceptive part) is hardly startling since few of us will be remembered as Saints. Or at least, if folks knew us better...!

Humor aside, it is a nice look at many different practices. All Spiritual Formation groups might begin by taking a look here for good ideas to try. Seminaries might want to bring this into their curriculum, too, for the good dose of leavening it may add to their programs. ( )
  kaulsu | Jan 4, 2012 |
Many people genuinely do not want to be saints, and it is probable that some who achieve or aspire to sainthood have never felt much temptation to be human beings.
—George Orwell
For Phil
my resident saint

And for Papa
who is such a blessing to us
My friend Kelly went through a phase when she was about seven years old when she wanted quite desperately to be a nun.
A failed saint is still a saint.

"... Jana Riess shares a year-long quest to become more saintly by tackling twelve spiritual practices, including fasting, fixed-hour prayer, gratitude, Sabbath-keeping, the Jesus Prayer, and generosity. Although she begins with great plans for success, she finds to her growing humiliation that she is failing--not just at some practices, but at every single one. What emerges is a vulnerable story of the quest for perfection and the reality of failure, which turns out to be a valuable spirtual practice in and of itself"--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,474,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible