The Antidepressant Sourcebook: A User's…

The Antidepressant Sourcebook: A User's Guide for Patients and Families

by Andrew L. Morrison

711,138,814 (2.5)None

There's certainly a lot of information about mental illnesses and antidepressants in this book, and the author had enough foresight to write it in a way that wouldn't leave it immediately outdated. I also like that the author doesn't buy fully into the chemical imbalance theory of depression, which is good based on its complete lack of evidence (which is noted in this book).

However, I feel like this book paints newer antidepressants in too much of a rosy light. They do have a lot of side effects (which I think was well known even by 1999 when this book was published) and do not work for everyone. The author also states that there is no evidence that antidepressants cause some individuals to be suicidal, which is a HUGE inaccuracy.

Ultimately, this book disappointed me because I wanted information on stopping antidepressants and going through withdrawal from them. This can be a normal part of some treatments; indeed, the author mentions that sometimes it takes many tries to find the right medications. However, the severe discomfort and mood swings associated with withdrawal, even with a medication taper, are not mentioned at all. I was hoping for some more information on a timeline of what to expect when going off meds. I really think a chapter on that would be a great addition to this book. ( )
  lemontwist | Aug 24, 2014 |

In 1998, over 120 million prescriptions were written for antidepressants. That number is projected to rise by almost thirty million by the end of 2000. Despite this growing trend, many patients find that their doctors do not tell them all they need to know about the medications to make their treatments as successful as possible. The Antidepressant Sourcebook is the first place to turn for people taking antidepressants for the first time and for the millions who have already taken them.

Here, in one concise reference, is all the reader needs to know, including what to talk about with the doctor, how to start and stop medications, and what to expect in the course of treatment. It is a written complement to what the doctor tells you. It answers every question a patient might have: How do I know if I'm on the right medication? Will my antidepressant interact with other medications I'm taking? Can I take it while pregnant? Will it change my personality? Do I need psychotherapy? If you or someone you love is taking antidepressants for depression, an anxiety disorder, or any other reason, your concerns will be addressed here.

The Antidepressant Sourcebook is the most comprehensive primer you can own, offering hands-on advice and clear information. It's required reading for anyone who is taking or thinking about taking antidepressants.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:06 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,341,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible