dismiss

The Prisoner of Cell 25 (2011)

by Richard Paul Evans

Series: Michael Vey (1)

To everyone at Meridian High School, fourteen-year-old Michael Vey is nothing special, just the kid who has Tourette's syndrome. But in truth, Michael is extremely special--he has electric powers. Michael thinks he is unique until he discovers that a cheerleader named Taylor has the same mysterious powers. With the help of Michael's friend, Ostin, the three of them set out to discover how Michael and Taylor ended up with their abilities, and their investigation soon brings them to the attention of a powerful group who wants to control the electric teens--and through them, the world.… (more)

Walter loved. His teacher did it as a read aloud in 6th grade.
  Mrs.Maynard | Jan 5, 2020 |
The story itself is awesome but the writing tends to veer into tedium at times, with pointless descriptions and exchanges. Also, the female characters are walking stereotypes and I hate that. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 20, 2019 |
This feels just like I Am Number Four. Like, EXACTLY like I Am Number Four. There's nothing original here at all. Copypasta plot, trope teenagers archetypes, and piss-poor world building. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 7, 2019 |
I read this one with my sons as their choice for a family read-aloud and though we loved the premise and ultimately enjoyed the story, it really wasn't great for that. The dialogue, though at times very witty, was awkward and repetitive and even my ten-year-old was bothered at times by the excessive tags that made reading the book aloud particularly tedious. Most of the characters, too, struck all of us as fairly one-dimensional and terribly shallow. But the book did place the characters in some really interesting moral quandaries that sparked some great conversations. We all agree that we will continue to give the series a chance and are hopeful that as the characters develop further, we'll discover more to love. ( )
  Sarah_Angleton | Aug 17, 2019 |
The Prisoner of Cell 25 was a good book. There was a really nice flow to it. The writing was tight, the humor was good (applicable for middle grade/early high school). There was plenty of action, and a little romance (meeting the theatre quota?)

The story follows Michael Vey, a good young man that has had to move around from place to place with his single mother due to his secret - he has powers: electricity to be exact. We follow him as he learns more about his past, meets some key players in his present, and fights for his future. He discovers other folks like him, and he and a special group of friends set out on an adventure to right some old wrongs, and to free the others like him.

I'd recommend this book, and will probably move on to the next in the series. The ending was a bit of an unexpected cliffhanger. ( )
  wisealma | Nov 21, 2018 |
To Michael
"Have you found the last two?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,873,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible