Believing the lie by Elizabeth George

Believing the lie (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Elizabeth George

644None14,971 (3.6)29
Member:Kathleen828
Title:Believing the lie
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:New York : |b Dutton ; |c 2012

Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George (2012)

English (40)  Dutch (2)  All languages (42)
George's Inspector Lynley novels seem to alternate between great and terrible, so it seems inevitable that after enjoying This Body of Death, I'd really struggle with Believing the Line. Like the worst Lynley novels, it just takes forever-- there's a lot of perspectives outside of Lynley (and sometimes Havers), and since each character is given equal time, that means Lynley pops up very rarely and thus does very little investigating. Indeed, I can barely remember him talking to anyone; Sergeant Havers and Deborah St. James (gah) doing most of the actual legwork here. It's also really hard to care, because it's not very certain that a murder even happened, and that uncertainty never goes away.

I get it, Elizabeth George, you're trying to upend the mystery genre... but you're not good enough to get away with it. Leave it to Paul Auster and Julian Barnes. Also, I refuse to believe this book was actually written and set in 2012; a key plot point is that Barbara can't perform even rudimentary translation of Spanish-language web pages on her own, because she's working on the case outside of the Met and its resources. Resources like Google Translate, I guess?

That said: Barbara Havers is always awesome, and there's a decent sideplot about a divorced couple trying to care for an orphaned kid. And the last 100 pages or so are pretty good, as everything comes into focus. But man, a lot more sure needed to happen in the rest of the book.
  Stevil2001 | Mar 5, 2014 |
For people who like the kind of crime novel George writes, this is just the kind of book they like! I liked it--but didn't love it. As I said in the post from my archives that I put back up at Novel Readings, I'm more interested in the continuing characters than I am in the new ones in her books, which is not to say that she doesn't develop them and their complicated, fraught stories in pretty compelling detail, but they still seem to me like devices to move the "real" characters forward. And those characters move so little each time--their lives are so consistently angst-ridden, and the angst rings changes on a fairly small range of issues and conflicts... A small point that struck me: I was interested that in the cover blurb George's novels are described as "suspense" novels, not mystery novels. It's true that in some ways they have never been conventional procedurals, precisely because the attention to character and to plots outside the police work has always been so detailed. This time the mechanisms of the suspense were particularly obvious (short sections from different points of view, often with little cliff-hanger endings). I find this manipulative, which I suppose is a foolish complaint about a suspense novel (in which manipulation is presumably the point).
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
I generally love Elizabeth George novels, but this one was a bit disappointing. It's hard to explain why without giving away some of the story... so let's just say the plot was a bit thin and read more like a soap opera than a mystery novel. Still enjoyable though - just not as much as usual. ( )
  rivergen | Dec 22, 2013 |
Ik heb hem uit en hij was FANTASTISCH!!! Ik kan nu natuurlijk helemaal uit de doeken doen waarom hij zo heel erg goed was maar dan verraad ik de clou en dan is het voor degenen die het boek nog willen lezen niets meer aan. Dus dat doe ik niet. Ik kan alleen maar zeggen dat dit een echte aanrader is. ( )
  Gea1967 | Sep 22, 2013 |
If I had not been so sick, I probably would not have finished this book, which would have meant missing the only exciting part of the book-the ending. Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George was an exceptionally long drawn out soap opera and I was about to give up entirely on the Inspector Lynley series until I neared the very end of the book, which of course leads into the 18th book of the series, Just One Evil Act, which I now must read due to the aforementioned ending. Had George not added in that plot twist, Believing the Lie would have been the end for me. George’s writing was superb as usual, however this storyline was not a mystery and not to my liking at all. Hopefully, not only will Just One Evil Act provide some much needed answers, but also a return to real detective work. ( )
1 vote knittingmomof3 | Sep 10, 2013 |
This life's five windows of the soutl
Distorts the Heavens from pole to pole,
And leads you to believe a lie
When you see with, not thro', the eye ...
William Blake
In loving memory of Anthony Mott
brilliant raconteur
adored companion
always Antonio to me
Zed Benjamin has never been called into the office of the editor before, and he found the experience simultaneously disconcerting and thrilling.
Holly? Holly? What sort of name was that? Her former husband was going for a shrub?

Going undercover to investigate the death of a drowning victim at the request of the man's wealthy and influential uncle, Inspector Thomas Lynley uncovers dark secrets in his client's family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,422,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible