Believing the lie by Elizabeth George

Believing the lie (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Elizabeth George

Member:Kathleen828
Title:Believing the lie
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:New York : |b Dutton ; |c 2012

Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George (2012)

Recently added byzechristof, private library, MaraBlaise, melopher, ollonborren, stratlib, rbtaylor, a004358, duchessjlh

English (53)  Dutch (4)  German (1)  All languages (58)
Enjoyable, but you have to suspend belief more than usual with Elizabeth George (around the involvement of Deborah St James in particular). The plot gets quite gripping up to the last 100 pages and then falls apart a little and feels unfinished. Obviously the next book is going to be more Havers centric than this one. Not the best Lynley novel but OK. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
I listened to "Believing The Lie"on audiobook. It was quite enjoyable as it was read by Davina Porter, who is an excellent reader and has probably read hundreds of audiobooks. She is capable of making each character come alive through her interpretation of their voices. The author provides the reader with varied, interesting folks who we inevitably care about as the novel progresses. With this author in particular I find myself involved in the story but not necessarily feeling any depth connecting the characters and the story line. When all of a sudden, George gives us a scene that encompasses one of the more vulnerable characters in a natural setting that ultimately threatens her life. The encroaching ocean and the inability to see due to a heavy fog, call to mind the situation the character has found herself in throughout the book. It was an amazing moment as I felt the connection that lie in George's keen writing of the scene, bringing in the elements of threat and danger that had always been there for this character before the reader really knew it. George does this often but so subtly that I didn't see it coming, and her characters didn't either. This is the second audiobook of Elizabeth George that I have listened to recently and I look forward to more. I highly recommend her books for you if you are drawn towards involved, character-driven mysteries. ( )
  mmignano11 | Jan 3, 2016 |
Another good read from Elizabeth George. Have read most of her books and most of them have been first class. This one is no exception. It majors in some of the characters we have known and loved and the plot has many a twist and turn. Enjoyed reading it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" "To Whom It May Concern" and "Tell Me about the United Methodist Church" ( )
  whoizme8 | Oct 10, 2015 |
This was an adequate example of George's work, but it lacked the tension of her earlier work. It was as though the important, most interesting parts were left out and the less interesting parts were fully explained. I did enjoy this somewhat and George's work is, as always, well written, it just was not as good as her other work in this series. ( )
  karmiel | Aug 22, 2015 |
I've been reading George's Lynley/Havers mysteries since the 80s, and even though I thought the last one I read was insanely bloated, not just in length but in the number of characters and subplots as well, I wanted to try again. This one suffers from a few of the same problems (mainly subplots), but was shorter (although still too long). To tell the truth, I read these mysteries more to find out what is happening with the major characters than for the plot.
And there is no murder in this mystery, although there is suspicion of one. Rather, it is all about lies, obvious ones and startling ones, and how they are revealed and unravel, and the havoc this creates. At least one of the lies is strange and in a way trendy (and ultimately a little unbelievable). There is also a theme of the way parents do or don't care for their kids. At least this book had more of the series characters in it than the last one I read, and I will continue to read this series, at least the next book.
1 vote rebeccanyc | Jul 22, 2015 |
This life's five windows of the soutl
Distorts the Heavens from pole to pole,
And leads you to believe a lie
When you see with, not thro', the eye ...
William Blake
In loving memory of Anthony Mott
brilliant raconteur
adored companion
always Antonio to me
Zed Benjamin has never been called into the office of the editor before, and he found the experience simultaneously disconcerting and thrilling.
Holly? Holly? What sort of name was that? Her former husband was going for a shrub?

Going undercover to investigate the death of a drowning victim at the request of the man's wealthy and influential uncle, Inspector Thomas Lynley uncovers dark secrets in his client's family.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,265,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible