Believing the Lie (Inspector Lynley…

Believing the Lie (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 17) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Elizabeth George

Member:liewil
Title:Believing the Lie (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 17)
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:Hodder Paperbacks (2012), Paperback, 688 pages
Rating:***

Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George (2012)

English (49)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All languages (53)
I've been reading George's Lynley/Havers mysteries since the 80s, and even though I thought the last one I read was insanely bloated, not just in length but in the number of characters and subplots as well, I wanted to try again. This one suffers from a few of the same problems (mainly subplots), but was shorter (although still too long). To tell the truth, I read these mysteries more to find out what is happening with the major characters than for the plot.
And there is no murder in this mystery, although there is suspicion of one. Rather, it is all about lies, obvious ones and startling ones, and how they are revealed and unravel, and the havoc this creates. At least one of the lies is strange and in a way trendy (and ultimately a little unbelievable). There is also a theme of the way parents do or don't care for their kids. At least this book had more of the series characters in it than the last one I read, and I will continue to read this series, at least the next book.
  rebeccanyc | Jul 22, 2015 |
Another excellent Thomas Lynley novel with familiar characters, and some robust new characters. I particularly liked characterizations of the gullible Zed Benjamin, and the manipulative Mignon, and the fantastic Freddie (do men like him really exist?).

Novel is all about lies, exaggerations, innuendos, and miscommunications between loving couples, between acquaintances and strangers, and lies to ourselves. These lies take on lives of their own and often cause irreversible harm. Few eventually see through the lies and usually this improves their lives. But often the truth can be harder to face. But only then can healing and moving on begin.

Great read. ( )
  Bookish59 | Mar 17, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
The "mystery" was not as strong as her other books but, of course, I read to find out what happened to Tommy, Barbara, Deborah and Simon since the last time I picked up a George book! Getting a bit tired of the circle that Deborah and Simon are caught in but it fit well with the overall theme of the link between parents and children. Here's hoping that there is some action in #18 in their family for all of our sakes. George is marvelous at leaving us with a true cliffhanger, so obvious when you read it that you wonder why you were so stupid in not seeing it earlier. Here's hoping that she's writing very quickly... ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
This life's five windows of the soutl
Distorts the Heavens from pole to pole,
And leads you to believe a lie
When you see with, not thro', the eye ...
William Blake
In loving memory of Anthony Mott
brilliant raconteur
adored companion
always Antonio to me
Zed Benjamin has never been called into the office of the editor before, and he found the experience simultaneously disconcerting and thrilling.
Holly? Holly? What sort of name was that? Her former husband was going for a shrub?

Going undercover to investigate the death of a drowning victim at the request of the man's wealthy and influential uncle, Inspector Thomas Lynley uncovers dark secrets in his client's family.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,526,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible