Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George

Believing the Lie (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Elizabeth George

Member:librarianarpita
Title:Believing the Lie
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated (2012), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover
Rating:***

Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George (2012)

English (54)  Dutch (4)  German (1)  All languages (59)
Book #17, in the Inspector Lynley mystery

This is a good size book over 600 pages of a tightly plotted mystery that brings MS George’s unpredictable characters in the middle of a case involving pedophilia, alcoholism, homosexuality, transgender reassignment, surrogacy and above all….everything comes down to money in the end…In this chronicle, Linley will be looking into a wealthy Cumbrian family private deeds and secrets.

What a long and complicated book this is. We find multiple sub-plots that radiate from the main story, the drowning of Ian Cresswell, before converging near the end of the book. It took some time for everything to mesh before I could let my mind enjoy this mystery that revolved around so many social issues. Near the end of the book we have one big twist that expose a wealth of family secrets and lies. “Believing the Lie” has Lynley and Havers at center stage although Deborah St-James plays a good part with all her vulnerabilities. She surely wasn’t at her best this time. Ms. George is particularly skilled in setting her story, Cumbria seems so inviting (so much so I may add it on my bucket list:). Of course we also have panoply of juicy characters to keep track of: among them are squabbling children, an inept reporter, a sexy Argentinean woman and many many more.

There is a lot to grasp here maybe too much for some: this book is an endless litany of melodrama, melancholy and the bad and dysfunctional family dynamic. Some may like this mystery and some may find the experience may be a drag…. ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Jul 2, 2016 |
The story and the writing are very good. I enjoyed the book, but I felt there was too much in it. All the characters were very complex. If it had been two books, I'd probably have given them both 5 stars. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Feb 24, 2016 |
Enjoyable, but you have to suspend belief more than usual with Elizabeth George (around the involvement of Deborah St James in particular). The plot gets quite gripping up to the last 100 pages and then falls apart a little and feels unfinished. Obviously the next book is going to be more Havers centric than this one. Not the best Lynley novel but OK. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
I listened to "Believing The Lie"on audiobook. It was quite enjoyable as it was read by Davina Porter, who is an excellent reader and has probably read hundreds of audiobooks. She is capable of making each character come alive through her interpretation of their voices. The author provides the reader with varied, interesting folks who we inevitably care about as the novel progresses. With this author in particular I find myself involved in the story but not necessarily feeling any depth connecting the characters and the story line. When all of a sudden, George gives us a scene that encompasses one of the more vulnerable characters in a natural setting that ultimately threatens her life. The encroaching ocean and the inability to see due to a heavy fog, call to mind the situation the character has found herself in throughout the book. It was an amazing moment as I felt the connection that lie in George's keen writing of the scene, bringing in the elements of threat and danger that had always been there for this character before the reader really knew it. George does this often but so subtly that I didn't see it coming, and her characters didn't either. This is the second audiobook of Elizabeth George that I have listened to recently and I look forward to more. I highly recommend her books for you if you are drawn towards involved, character-driven mysteries. ( )
  mmignano11 | Jan 3, 2016 |
Another good read from Elizabeth George. Have read most of her books and most of them have been first class. This one is no exception. It majors in some of the characters we have known and loved and the plot has many a twist and turn. Enjoyed reading it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" "To Whom It May Concern" and "Tell Me about the United Methodist Church" ( )
  whoizme8 | Oct 10, 2015 |
This life's five windows of the soutl
Distorts the Heavens from pole to pole,
And leads you to believe a lie
When you see with, not thro', the eye ...
William Blake
In loving memory of Anthony Mott
brilliant raconteur
adored companion
always Antonio to me
Zed Benjamin has never been called into the office of the editor before, and he found the experience simultaneously disconcerting and thrilling.
Holly? Holly? What sort of name was that? Her former husband was going for a shrub?

Going undercover to investigate the death of a drowning victim at the request of the man's wealthy and influential uncle, Inspector Thomas Lynley uncovers dark secrets in his client's family.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,098,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible