Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Title:Everneath
Authors:Brodi Ashton
Info:Balzer Bray (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

First, loved the cover of this book. I fell in love with it the moment I saw the cover. As for the story, well, it was good at some parts and then at times it felt like it dragged. It’s an interesting twist on the Hades/Persephone myth, which is also what got me into the book as I’ve taken a liking to these types of plots. So it was an interesting and great read at the start. It wasn’t until midway through the book that the plot starts to slow down considerably, and characters start to annoy me at this point.

Take Becks for example. Oh my goodness. I’m surprised I went through reading this book because I was starting to get annoyed at her whiny personality. She got so emo and lamented over her situation. There wasn’t much personality to her. She was just, emotional baggage that’s carried all through the story. She doesn’t even put much of a fight so I don’t see her as a strong character nor as a likable one. Cole and his crew were just as annoying. Sometimes it might just take a punch to the fast to make him stop. But it looks like Becks was too busy immersed in her self pity to do something like that.

Out of the characters, Jack was the only one I really like the most. He was such a sweetheart and for what he did just categorizes him into the best YA boyfriends ever. However despite that, the love and chemistry between Jack and Becks wasn’t really there. She was too much of a cardboard character to really make the romance become something substantial.

So it wasn’t that bad of a book. The ending was great. Although I have a feeling more whininess is going to come from Becks in the second one. Nevertheless it’s worth the read for YA lovers. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Oct 7, 2014 |
First of all, high points in the girl-in-a-pretty-dress-on-the-cover category (even though there was never a scene in the book in which I could envision the main character dressed like this). As for the book itself, I will have to admit to mixed feelings. The ending was strong, which actually makes me consider reading the sequels, but the first half I struggled to get through and I even considered giving up. I have to say, the main characters, Nikki and Jack, didn't strike me as having a particularly special relationship and I wish the author had characterized the relationship more; instead, to me, they fell flat as a couple. Either way, I'm still debating whether to continue the series. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Aug 22, 2014 |
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
For me personally, this book is AMAZING! The cover in itself got my attention...Then when I read the cover, I saw how unique and different this story was going to be. It took me a little bit to figure out exactly what was going on in it until she started going back and explaining what got Nikki Beckett where she was in her life.

I wasn't sure whether I would actually enjoy this book as much..I just knew it was something totally different than what I was normally reading {angels & vampires...mostly angels}...But once I began to grasp the concept of this story..It began to suck me in to the point I couldn't put it down. And it only took me a couple days to read it {hey, if I didn't have a home to run & kids (2) to tend to, I may have finished it in a day and a half or less...lol...But for me personally, the book was AMAZING!{Yes, I had to say it twice...:o)}...I am so ready for book two to come out...OH THE WAITING!!! :o) ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
Nikki Beckett has spent a century in the Everneath; however, to the people she use to know on the Surface, only 6 months have passed. In a modern retelling of the Greek myths surrounding Persephone and Hades, Brodi Ashton successfully translates myth into reality and leaves readers in rapt anticipation of the promised continuation of the trilogy. The characters are generally believable and complex as humans always are, and the overall plot calls to mind questions of where the line between fact and fiction actually lies within myths and fairy tales. Even as the plot becomes more complicated and the dark side to each character becomes apparent, readers will surely find themselves wishing that they could be part of the action.

If you would like a longer review or other reviews, check out: www.mylifeinverse.com ( )
  mylifeinverse | Jul 4, 2014 |

Regretting her decision to forfeit her life on Earth to become an immortal on Everneath, a world between Earth and Hell, teenaged Nikki is given the chance to return to the Surface for six months, in this story loosely based on the "Hades and Persephone" myth.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,027,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible