Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Title:Everneath
Authors:Brodi Ashton
Info:Balzer Bray (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

2012 (6) 2012-release (6) 2013 (5) ARC (5) ebook (8) fantasy (25) favorites (5) fiction (18) goodreads (3) greek mythology (8) Hades (5) immortality (12) Kindle (3) love (3) mythology (34) own (5) paranormal (26) paranormal romance (7) Persephone (14) read (6) read in 2012 (6) retelling (8) romance (24) series (9) supernatural (10) teen (12) to-read (76) underworld (7) YA (28) young adult (28)

Everneath was not what I expected it to be... but I really liked it anyways. I expected a lot more mythology, and I thought it might have a paranormal flair to it. But, instead, Everneath is about a sweet romance and delightful characters.

I absolutely loved the peresephone myth twist! I strongly reccomend this book. ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
This gorgeous cover and the intriguing summary had me super eager to get my hands on this debut novel by Brodi Ashton. Unfortunately it ended up being a bit less than what I was expecting. I love books that are based on mythology and are a bit dark, so when I saw that this was described as a reimagining of Hades and Persephone, I was quite excited. I don’t think this really lived up to any version of the Hades/Persephone story that I have ever read. First of all, I thought that it lacked the passion and emotional depth necessary to compare with that mythological couple. My main issue with Everneath was the writing style. Each chapter seemed to jump back and forth from past to present making it really hard to follow the story or connect in any real way with the characters. There were a lot of questions that were left unanswered and many things left unexplained by the end. I thought the characters were either unlikable or in Jack’s case, likable but boring. I will say that the last bit of the book was much better than I was expecting after how frustrated I was by the beginning. In short, Everneath was simply not for me. There have been many other people who really enjoyed this book though! Check out Lisa’s review at The Nocturnal Library for a more in depth and positive take on Everneath. ( )
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
Everneath starts with Nikki waking up from the Feed with Cole, an immortal who has been feeding off her energy for the past 100 years in the Everneath (which is several months in the human world). Since she has survived the Feed, she has six months to return home and say her final goodbyes, and then either go to the tunnels, a hell-like extension of the Everneath, or go back with Cole, who now wants to make her his queen.

I had so many problems with this book, the first of which being the flashback/flash forward format. Every time I started to get even a little interested in what was going on, the story would jump to a different part of the timeline. It didn't add suspense, it was just frustrating. The love triangle here is horrible--Jack, Nikki's human boyfriend, is likeable but boring, and Cole is despicable from the beginning. I hated that Nikki's entire reason for going back home was to see Jack again, and it isn't until she re-kindles her relationship with him that she even considers trying to avoid the tunnels without taking Cole's offer. The mythological references through the book felt info-dumpy. I would expect most readers to know the Hades/Persephone story enough to not need such a detailed retelling in the middle of the book.

I gave it 1.5 stars for what sounded like an interesting premise, just poorly executed. Not as bad as Twilight, but still, not recommended. ( )
  DeweyEver | Feb 26, 2014 |
This one took me a bit of time to get into and I really wish the entire book was like the last quarter of the story. That being said, an interesting teen story about the myth of Persephone. The main character, Nikki, was irritating in her teen angst. I spent a majority of the book wondering why she went to the Everneath in the first place...emo much?

Once she "Returns," she has only a short amount of time to make things right before she leaves again to live forever in the tunnels and 'feed' the Everlivings with her spirit.

It kept me interested enough to want to read the next two in the trilogy. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 17, 2014 |
I wanted to read Everneath because I have seen it on blogs for quite some time and finally it lined up with a hole in my schedule and being at the library. I am not heavy into the myths, but I do like the idea of having the ties to both underworld and above and the emotions of having to try to find redemption for her disappearance and being okay with or finding a way to stay. The cover has always caught my eye as well, and I am def vain like that sometimes.
At first, I was confused a bit because the time frame is jumping around and I am not exactly sure how the Everneath works, and what the Tunnels are as well as what the history was between her and Cole and her and Jack. But this is intentional because the time shifts explain what I needed to know at every turn.
I liked Nikki's character, she is easy to get along with, and more reserved and quiet, which has always been me so that is my personality. Which part of her reservation is Nikki being emotionless(ish) as she comes back from the Everneath, but she gets her emotion back as she spends more time above.
The romance is kinda up in the air for me, because for the most part of the story, I knew that Cole wanted her to be Everliving with him, but otherwise his motives and feelings are kinda unknown to me. Jack is sweet and I would pull for him, but Nikki alludes to something happening between the two so I kinda hold off my feelings because I am afraid that he hurt her.
The emotions in this one are pretty powerful. We have Nikki hurt from the issue with Jack, that she forgot a lot while she was in the Everneath with Cole, we have love flying around everywhere, and we have the raw emotion of Nikki losing her mom, who died in a car accident. Nikki's family and friends were hurt because she disappeared and because she wasn't fully connected when she was back because even though she wanted redemption and to say goodbye, she also wouldn't let herself get any closer to them and at an arm's length.
The story started getting going and it raced to the end at a breakneck pace. I figured out who I wanted for Nikki, and I think that even though it seems there is a love triangle, I think that one ends up being a non--player although I may be proven wrong as I read more. But the ending, wow, it just cemented my love for this series and the man that won my heart.
I will definitely continue this series, and I am so glad that I finally got to it, and I recommend to any of my fantasy or paranormal romance friends because it is a good, emotional and unique story.

Bottom Line: Characters stole my heart! ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Feb 14, 2014 |

Regretting her decision to forfeit her life on Earth to become an immortal on Everneath, a world between Earth and Hell, teenaged Nikki is given the chance to return to the Surface for six months, in this story loosely based on the "Hades and Persephone" myth.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,480,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible