Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Title:Everneath
Authors:Brodi Ashton
Info:Balzer Bray (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Nikki Beckett disappeared for six months . . . only for her it was more like one hundred years. While her friends and family had no idea where she was, Nikki was in the Everneath with Cole. Cole is an Everliving survives by feeding off the emotions of humans. During the Feed, Nikki was the human he fed off of.

Now, instead of staying with Cole, Nikki has decided to Return to the surface, to humanity for six months. She hopes to make it up to everyone, her boyfriend Jack mostly but also her father, her brother, her friend Jules, for suddenly disappearing on them last spring. Before, that is, she disappears again . . . for good.

Something made all the more hard by Cole who has left Everneath and followed her not only to the surface, but to her hometown and high school.

Does redemption exist for anyone, let aloe Nikki - and will she be able to find it in time? As Nikki's sixth months draw to a close will she be able to accept that time is all she has or will she want to tempt her fate in a an attempt to stay with Jack longer? Or will she return to Everneath with Cole?

Everneath is a book that starts off with the reader not knowing the full story. You don't really know how/why Nikki disappeared, just that everyone seems not that pleased with her even though she is back. Half of the story is told in the present and half in flashbacks so we learn about Nikki's life before she went to Everneath and we slowly learn what led to her going to Everneath even as we see why she doesn't want to be there now.

I did go through the beginning (and even middle, actually) of the story feeling like I was missing something. There was such a little amount of discussion about either the how or why Nikki had disappeared - either from her father (especially) or younger brother or friends questioning her or Nikki offering some sort of (likely false) explanation. Same for her return. It just seemed that a teenage girl who had been gone for six months would inspire more questioning than what occurred. There seemed to be a general consensus that she had been off doing drugs and there a was a little of that used, but I still thought she slipped back into life too easily.

Maybe I'm just being picky. (Or not.)

The premise of the story (aside from my little grip above), all of the mythology used, the way things around that mythology played out, and the different characters were all incredibly original. The ending (or 100-150 pages) was fantastic. The way the different elements and the little things mentioned throughout the novel really come together is great.

As this is book number one in a series, I'm really excited to see where the second book takes the characters (especially after that ending).

I love that there are some books now that are putting new twists on some of the ancient myths - so much better when they're so incredibly original, well thought out, and resolve themselves well but leave you itching to see what happens next!

Rating: 7/10
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
More like 2.5/5 Stars. Interesting plot, but this book didn't grab me. It had a very slow beginning and left me with too many unanswered questions. Read my full review on my blog:http://brittanysbookrambles.blogspot.com/2013/01/everneath-book-review.html ( )
  bpress | Apr 20, 2015 |
First, loved the cover of this book. I fell in love with it the moment I saw the cover. As for the story, well, it was good at some parts and then at times it felt like it dragged. It’s an interesting twist on the Hades/Persephone myth, which is also what got me into the book as I’ve taken a liking to these types of plots. So it was an interesting and great read at the start. It wasn’t until midway through the book that the plot starts to slow down considerably, and characters start to annoy me at this point.

Take Becks for example. Oh my goodness. I’m surprised I went through reading this book because I was starting to get annoyed at her whiny personality. She got so emo and lamented over her situation. There wasn’t much personality to her. She was just, emotional baggage that’s carried all through the story. She doesn’t even put much of a fight so I don’t see her as a strong character nor as a likable one. Cole and his crew were just as annoying. Sometimes it might just take a punch to the fast to make him stop. But it looks like Becks was too busy immersed in her self pity to do something like that.

Out of the characters, Jack was the only one I really like the most. He was such a sweetheart and for what he did just categorizes him into the best YA boyfriends ever. However despite that, the love and chemistry between Jack and Becks wasn’t really there. She was too much of a cardboard character to really make the romance become something substantial.

So it wasn’t that bad of a book. The ending was great. Although I have a feeling more whininess is going to come from Becks in the second one. Nevertheless it’s worth the read for YA lovers. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Oct 7, 2014 |
First of all, high points in the girl-in-a-pretty-dress-on-the-cover category (even though there was never a scene in the book in which I could envision the main character dressed like this). As for the book itself, I will have to admit to mixed feelings. The ending was strong, which actually makes me consider reading the sequels, but the first half I struggled to get through and I even considered giving up. I have to say, the main characters, Nikki and Jack, didn't strike me as having a particularly special relationship and I wish the author had characterized the relationship more; instead, to me, they fell flat as a couple. Either way, I'm still debating whether to continue the series. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Aug 22, 2014 |
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |

Regretting her decision to forfeit her life on Earth to become an immortal on Everneath, a world between Earth and Hell, teenaged Nikki is given the chance to return to the Surface for six months, in this story loosely based on the "Hades and Persephone" myth.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,174,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible