Ewiglich die Sehnsucht by Brodi Ashton

Ewiglich die Sehnsucht (edition 2012)

by Brodi Ashton, Ulrike Wasel (Übersetzer), Klaus Timmermann (Übersetzer)

Member:Yuki-Chan
Title:Ewiglich die Sehnsucht
Authors:Brodi Ashton
Other authors:Ulrike Wasel (Übersetzer), Klaus Timmermann (Übersetzer)
Info:Oetinger (2012), Gebundene Ausgabe, 379 Seiten
Rating:***

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

2012 (6) 2012-release (6) 2013 (5) ARC (5) ebook (8) fantasy (27) favorites (5) fiction (19) Greek mythology (8) Hades (5) immortality (13) Kindle (3) love (3) mythology (33) own (5) paranormal (27) paranormal romance (6) Persephone (14) read (6) read in 2012 (7) retelling (8) romance (24) series (9) signed (3) supernatural (10) teen (13) to-read (96) underworld (7) YA (30) young adult (31)

For me personally, this book is AMAZING! The cover in itself got my attention...Then when I read the cover, I saw how unique and different this story was going to be. It took me a little bit to figure out exactly what was going on in it until she started going back and explaining what got Nikki Beckett where she was in her life.

I wasn't sure whether I would actually enjoy this book as much..I just knew it was something totally different than what I was normally reading {angels & vampires...mostly angels}...But once I began to grasp the concept of this story..It began to suck me in to the point I couldn't put it down. And it only took me a couple days to read it {hey, if I didn't have a home to run & kids (2) to tend to, I may have finished it in a day and a half or less...lol...But for me personally, the book was AMAZING!{Yes, I had to say it twice...:o)}...I am so ready for book two to come out...OH THE WAITING!!! :o) ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
Nikki Beckett has spent a century in the Everneath; however, to the people she use to know on the Surface, only 6 months have passed. In a modern retelling of the Greek myths surrounding Persephone and Hades, Brodi Ashton successfully translates myth into reality and leaves readers in rapt anticipation of the promised continuation of the trilogy. The characters are generally believable and complex as humans always are, and the overall plot calls to mind questions of where the line between fact and fiction actually lies within myths and fairy tales. Even as the plot becomes more complicated and the dark side to each character becomes apparent, readers will surely find themselves wishing that they could be part of the action.

If you would like a longer review or other reviews, check out: www.mylifeinverse.com ( )
  mylifeinverse | Jul 4, 2014 |
I’ll admit I was hesitant to pick up this book. I was compelled by the summary, but I was afraid the book would fall into some of the stereotypes of paranomal YA that I have a hard time handling; specifically, that it would encourage jerky behavior from its male leads and uphold that type of behavior for a love interest. Luckily, the book totally exceeded my expectations.

Nikki is at times, quite a mess of a character, but she’s also compelling. She definitely has some self-destructive tendencies, but can also be really self-determined and convinced what she’s doing is right. I think I would have been slightly annoyed with Nikki at times except I could never stop feeling sorry for what had happened to her. The idea of someone else feeding off your energy for a century, leaving you a broken shell, is enough to make me literally cringe.

Jack and Cole are both fantastically written characters. They’re both intriguing in their own ways while being complete opposites of one another. Jack is the perfect, steady character that Nikki really needs when she returns, even if things between them are incredibly awkward at first. I like that at first we don’t know exactly what Jack’s role is, since the book is told from Nikki’s POV. I felt like I was figuring Jack out as Nikki was figuring him out for the second time.

There is just so much going on in Everneath(in a good way!). You can read it as a mythological retelling, or as a story of the foundation of love, but there’s a lot of undercurrents about the price of immortality, what constitutes a human being, and who heroes are. These aren’t all themes that might be evident on a quick read-through, but they’re definitely prominent enough that I feel they should be acknowledged. These underlying tensions are really what compels me to the series, and why I want to keep reading.

Final Impression: I wasn’t sure if I would like this book or not, but I liked the different take on mythology that I feel isn’t explored as much as some other lore. Even though Nikki had some pretty self-defeating behavior and thoughts sometimes, I never felt like I didn’t get where she was coming from. The way the characters are written and the subtle themes that run underneath this work make this a 4/5 star read for me.

Review originally posted on my blog at Book.Blog.Bake. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Not bad! I wasn't sure what I was going to think after the Prologue--I think it took a couple of fits and starts to get going, but once it did, I really enjoyed it. Jack's a great character, and I'm interested to see where Ashton takes Nikki.

More here! ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |

OBridget1 | May 4, 2014 |

Regretting her decision to forfeit her life on Earth to become an immortal on Everneath, a world between Earth and Hell, teenaged Nikki is given the chance to return to the Surface for six months, in this story loosely based on the "Hades and Persephone" myth.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible