Ewiglich die Sehnsucht by Brodi Ashton

Ewiglich die Sehnsucht (edition 2012)

by Brodi Ashton, Ulrike Wasel (Übersetzer), Klaus Timmermann (Übersetzer)

Member:Yuki-Chan
Title:Ewiglich die Sehnsucht
Authors:Brodi Ashton
Other authors:Ulrike Wasel (Übersetzer), Klaus Timmermann (Übersetzer)
Info:Oetinger (2012), Gebundene Ausgabe, 379 Seiten
Rating:***

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

This book was the epitome of "meh." The writing and plot was decent enough to get me to the end, but I truly felt nothing for the characters or the plot. I basically finished it to see if the ending was compelling enough for me to continue on with the series.

It's not.

The plot, with the influences of Greek mythology, had a lot of potential but not only did it not reach the potential, it never got close. Maybe others will love it? I didn't, but I also didn't hate it. It was a mediocre experience. ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
Hades and Persephone and old tale that never gets old. Nikki is a teen just enjoying her boyfriend and her life till something goes wrong. She makes a choice that takes her away for 100 years. For a hundred years she is wrapped around and connected to Cole, who absorbs all her emotions. She awakes undamaged like others who have gone through this 'feed'. Then she turns away from him and travels back to the surface to find her love, Jack. The face she has thought of everyday for the last 100 years. Luckily 100 years in the underworld is only six months on the surface.
I had some issues with the telling of the story. Nikki was supposed to come back without any emotions and yet, she yearns for her life. The whole story is emotional. Teenage melodrama deluxe, with dating jealousy, misunderstandings and parents. Her hate for Cole and her need for Jack where endless. The everyone just accepted her back with out any real questions ? Really ? Cole, he was always treated badly. I have hope this will change in the next books. but the animosity he received bothered me.
I loved her fight to gain respect for the adults she abandoned on her run to the underside. Her father was realistic and well written. The school and the other students reactions to her sudden return was also realistic. The relationship between her and Jack was sweet and I could believe it. His hate for Cole was understandable. The clue that they found was something new and exciting to the story line.
it was a good tale, I could not put it down, even with the flaws. I was disappointed in the inconsistencies and melodrama. I did not know this was the first in a series so I was screaming at the cliffhanger ending. Phew. I will maybe read the next one ? ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I quite enjoyed this modern take on Persephone and Hades.

The idea of Everneath is quite interesting and even more so the mystery behind how Nikki was able to return to Earth with the memory of Jack, despite Cole's best intentions to make her forget her former life on Earth.

I don't like how emotional Nikki is. Doesn't she realize that the more she pushes people away, the more they are drawn to her? Like that is so typical of young adult books right? Like hello?! And naturally with YA books, you need the love triangle, although I'm not quite sure if Cole is totally in love with Nikki, more like obsessive with the power aspect since Nikki is so different from other daughters of Persephone. Hopefully some of the clich̩d YA stuff is toned down and deviated from in the rest of the series.

It is sweet that Nikki and Jack had a sweet love and were so lovely together...before her visit to Everneath. And I do feel bad for everyone else affected by Nikki (like her family and friends). It is through flashbacks that we find out what happened before and after Nikki was in Everneath.

There's a lot still to be explained! Like why is Cole so insistent on overthrowing the current Royal court, what is this Queen like and what can be done to save Jack? That ending was such a heart wrenching and unexpected moment. I really hope to find out what happens next. ( )
  Dream24 | Jan 6, 2016 |
Everneath raises some interesting questions. What if Hell isn’t really as bad as we dream it to be? What if there is good in the midst of evil? I love the vivid descriptions and the complexity of the characters, especially Cole. He honestly loves Nikki but is cruel and selfish sometimes. There are a few serious points I didn't like. The primary one is that the plot is bound together by a high school relationship. While some may disagree, I believe that in real life this kind of high school relationship wouldn't survive. I did not like how Nikki breaks up Jules and Jack, given that she has a short time at the Surface. She is too cruel toward Cole. He had his weaknesses, but she should have given him a chance instead of hating him so much.

Overall, the book has enough to satisfy readers now and save enough to keep them wanting more in future books. This book is listed as "romance." There are not any scenes that go beyond kissing, and any teen could read it.

Read whether our teen reviewer recommends buying or borrowing this book in the full review at The Reading Tub®. You can add your review, too.
  TheReadingTub | Jan 5, 2016 |
  lkmuir | Dec 1, 2015 |

Regretting her decision to forfeit her life on Earth to become an immortal on Everneath, a world between Earth and Hell, teenaged Nikki is given the chance to return to the Surface for six months, in this story loosely based on the "Hades and Persephone" myth.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,166,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible