Green Kingdom by Rachel Maddux

Green Kingdom (1957)

by Rachel Maddux

I read this book as a young adult and I credit it with my introduction to the world of fantasy. It is truly the most beautiful book I've ever read and will forever remain my most cherished novel, proudly collected piece, and all time favorite! Rachel Maddux weaves a tale of epic proportions. Her character development is tuned to the point where the reader feels as if he knows and loves these cherished family members. Her imagination weaves a world of beauty, longing, desire, mystery, intrigue and suspense. To read The Green Kingdom is to awaken the imagination of the soul.

Rachel Maddux is to fantasy what Mary Shelley is to horror.

From the Publisher: The Green Kingdom itself is a metaphor for whatever circumstances can make a person feel some control over fate. To live in the Green Kingdom is to inhabit what Maddux calls "the climate of potentiality," and to read The Green Kingdom is an intense experience in which we imagine our own responses to this land that Maddux so carefully delineates. ( )
  Lame | Jul 27, 2007 |
To King Raker
Efe yw'r to say sy'n cysgodi'r aelwyd siriol.
Sitting at his desk in the university where he had been vaguely uncomfortable for ten years, Justin Magnus reread the letter he had been carrying about with him for two weeks.

The dream of a green kingdom, a new world, a place to start over - this is the vision that compels the five central characters in this novel to seek a hidden land. The story is at once the age-old tale of utopia and dystopia and the saga of Americans at mid-century, with a history of economic depression, the midwestern dust bowl, and two world wars.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,425,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible