In My Family by Carmen Lomas Garza

In My Family (1996)

by Carmen Lomas Garza

English (27)  Spanish (1)  All (28)
I liked this book for two reasons. First, I liked how the writing in the book really celebrates Mexican culture. Each page tells a little bit about the author's family customs while incorporating bilingual text. The author integrates Spanish vocabulary into the English text too. For example, the author wrote "He's shaving off the thorns from freshly-cut cactus pads, called nopalitas." This is a great book for ESL students. Since the book is both in English and Spanish, it can help Spanish speaking children out with English words having hem both on the page. It also teaches children a lot about Hispanic culture and vocabulary. It explains different parts of their culture in a way that is easy for children to understand. The big picture in the book is celebrating and learning about Latino culture. I also liked how the book pushes readers to consider different cultures and traditions. For example, the author talks about when her father had an ear ache. To heal him, the mother rolled up news paper, set it on fire and placed it in her fathers ear. All families have different traditions, customs, and habits. Its important for children to learn and open their minds to different cultural/ ethic perspectives. ( )
  rweska1 | Mar 27, 2017 |
I enjoyed reading In My Family by Carmen Lomas Garza because the book reflects of her own experiences as a child which I can also relate to. The book is culturally diverse being written in both English and Spanish. The book is written in first person and Garza reflects on some of her favorite memories as a child that have shaped the woman she is today. Some of the memories she mentions are memories that I too have shared with my loved ones. She mentions the barbecue and how her grandparents teach her to dance. I remember the first time that my Abuela taught me how to dance and standing on my Abuelo’s feet as we danced around the room. Garza talks about making empanadas in the kitchen with her family once a year and how the delicious smell takes over the room. I too have enjoyed weekends at home with my grandparents eating empanadas and drinking Colombian soda while we catch up on recent events. I loved how with each story Garza has an illustration and she points out to the readers where she is in each illustration. For example in the garden scene she points out how she is wearing the blue dress. This makes readers take the time to search for where she is in each picture. Most importantly I loved the message shared in the book be proud of where you come from and don’t be afraid to be yourself. ( )
  KelseyHernandez | Feb 28, 2017 |
I loved this book! This book would be perfect for a bilingual student, or a lesson plan involving multiple languages. This story is about living in a Mexican American community in Texas. I think the fact that this book has the text in English at the top, and the text in Spanish at the bottom of each page can really benefit a ELL student. If a teacher is struggling teaching the student English, it may be helpful to connect different words and show connections in the story to the student. For example, instead of saying cactus pad, the author directly says Nopalitos, even in the English section. So, the student can learn from translating the text or using the pictures as help. In addition, I think that the author did a really good job with developing the text and going beyond teaching the reader about her family. For example, on one of the first pages the author describes what horned toads look like and how she often stayed away from fire ants because "they can really sting." I think this is interesting because the student is engaging in a bilingual book, but also learning about different plants and animals they may or may not come into contact with. The message of this story is to appreciate your culture and heritage no matter your surrounding. ( )
  klane10 | Nov 13, 2016 |
multicultural book that shows traditions within her family. Any grade for elementary. Also has a spanish part for ESL students. ( )
  Olivia.Morris | Nov 9, 2016 |
Carmen takes family moments and expresses how beautiful traditional Mexican American community really is from her viewpoint.
  angoneal | Dec 6, 2015 |

Following the best-selling Family Pictures, In My Family/En mi familia is Carmen Lomas Garza's continuing tribute to the family and community that shaped her childhood and her life. Lomas Garza's vibrant paintings and warm personal stories depict memories of growing up in the traditional Mexican-American community of her hometown of Kingsville, Texas.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:35 -0400)

The author describes, in bilingual text and illustrations, her experiences growing up in an Hispanic community in Texas.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,915,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible