In My Family/En mi familia by Carmen Lomas…

In My Family/En mi familia (original 1996; edition 2000)

by Carmen Lomas Garza

Member:valhang
Title:In My Family/En mi familia
Authors:Carmen Lomas Garza
Info:Children's Book Press (2000), Edition: Bilingual, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:Multicultural, Children's Literature, Wishlist
Tags:spanish, family

In My Family by Carmen Lomas Garza (1996)

English (31)  Spanish (1)  All languages (32)
Carmen Lomas Garza takes us to her hometown of Kingsville, Texas, and through vibrant paintings and personal stories, Carmen brings to life loving memories of growing up in a traditional Mexican American community: eating empanadas, witnessing the blessing on her cousin’s wedding day, and dancing to the conjunto band at the neighborhood restaurant. Each page tells a little bit about the author's family customs while incorporating bilingual text and integrating Spanish vocabulary into the English text as well. Librarians and teachers can have middle school students read this book and incorporate a lesson about compare and contrast by discussing the differences between their own cultures and the Latino culture, especially the differences in their families and their traditions. ( )
  GloriaSidney | Mar 16, 2019 |
I enjoyed this book because it was very different than other books I've read in the sense that the writer was more focused on the art in the book. The language was very clear because on each page, she described each piece of artwork that she created. Each piece of artwork was clearly explained, by giving a description of the specific memory/tradition that the painting was based off of. The illustrations were extremely engaging in the book because the writing was describing why the artwork was created. The book focused mainly on the artwork. I also like that the book was multilingual. It described the artwork in English and then described it in Spanish below. The author brought her culture into the book not only through artwork, but through her language. ( )
  SarahLansinger | Sep 24, 2018 |
Carmen Garza recreated her Mexican American culture by painting real life illustrations of her families traditions, customs, and beliefs. English Language Learners could use the translations to reinforce their comprehension of the English words. Students could create an image of their own culture and discuss their family traditions with the class. ( )
  shelbieramon | Apr 22, 2018 |
This is a collection of paintings by Garza, accompanied by descriptions of them that depict the everyday life of a Mexican-American family in southern Texas.
  Auhewitt | Feb 21, 2018 |
I liked this book for two reasons. First, I liked how the writing in the book really celebrates Mexican culture. Each page tells a little bit about the author's family customs while incorporating bilingual text. The author integrates Spanish vocabulary into the English text too. For example, the author wrote "He's shaving off the thorns from freshly-cut cactus pads, called nopalitas." This is a great book for ESL students. Since the book is both in English and Spanish, it can help Spanish speaking children out with English words having hem both on the page. It also teaches children a lot about Hispanic culture and vocabulary. It explains different parts of their culture in a way that is easy for children to understand. The big picture in the book is celebrating and learning about Latino culture. I also liked how the book pushes readers to consider different cultures and traditions. For example, the author talks about when her father had an ear ache. To heal him, the mother rolled up news paper, set it on fire and placed it in her fathers ear. All families have different traditions, customs, and habits. Its important for children to learn and open their minds to different cultural/ ethic perspectives. ( )
  rweska1 | Mar 27, 2017 |

Following the best-selling Family Pictures, In My Family/En mi familia is Carmen Lomas Garza's continuing tribute to the family and community that shaped her childhood and her life. Lomas Garza's vibrant paintings and warm personal stories depict memories of growing up in the traditional Mexican-American community of her hometown of Kingsville, Texas.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:35 -0400)

The author describes, in bilingual text and illustrations, her experiences growing up in an Hispanic community in Texas.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,072,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible