From the Bellybutton of the Moon: And Other…

From the Bellybutton of the Moon: And Other Summer Poems / Del Ombligo de…

by Francisco X. Alarcón

This is a collection of poetry about summer. In the afterward the poet Francisco Alarcón writes, For me, Mexico was and still isn enchanted land where all senses come alive: colors are more colorful, tastes are tastier." The poems are about everyday observations, including the title poem :From the Bellybutton of the Moon," inspired by the fact that the poet's grandmother tells him that Mexico translates to mean the bellybutton of the moon. After learning this, when the poet says Mexico, "I feel like touching/my bellybutton. Each poem contain many sensory details, bringing summer to life.
  StacyWright | Jul 25, 2017 |
This is a joyous celebration of traveling from the US to Mexico, and the wonderful times spent there. Based on Francisco X. Alarcón's own memories of going to visit relatives in western Mexico, the poems reflect a simpler, less rushed lifestyle. every page has one poem, but written twice--in English and Spanish. Maya Christina Gonzalez' vibrant paintings capture the beauties of Mexico, and bring to life Francisco's poetry. This is a book I would add to any elementary school library, and could be enjoyed by all grades. ( )
  TomasJ | Jul 12, 2016 |
I'm enjoying all four of these celebrations. I really wish I was a teacher so I could share these poems in two languages with kids. Ages 4 to 104 can appreciate them, and the gloriously fun art that illustrates them. Students of either Spanish or English as a second language would have fun using this as a resource.

The themes of this relate to visiting family, as most poems are memories of a child's visit to his family's home town in Mexico. Some of the poems are almost a page long, almost narrative, and some are more like haikus, so there's something for everyone.

I particularly liked this metaphor, explicitly illuminating the theme of family:

_*We Are Trees*_

grow wanting

to reach out
to other branches ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This is a summer poetry book. This book is also bilingual so it is always a good addition to the classroom. The pictures are rather fascinating. Good for second grade and up
  bzittlosen | Dec 17, 2014 |
Following the bilingual theme of his other books, Alarcon takes readers on a journey to Mexico through his poems. This book is filled with vivid imaginary and metaphors and personification, and follows the theme of summer. I would recommend this book to children in the 3rd-5th grade. ESL students might also like this book because of the English version and then the Spanish version right next to it. ( )
  SimoneAlexis | Dec 12, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0892392010, Paperback)

With a poet's magical vision, Francisco X. Alarcón takes young readers back to his childhood when he traveled with his family to Mexico to visit his grandmother and other relatives. Readers ride with him in the family station wagon across the misty mountain range to the little town of Atoyac, the beloved town of his ancestors. There he listens his grandma's colorful stories, samples Auntie Reginalda's tasty breakfasts, learns about the keys to the universe, and take playful dips in the warm sea. Maya Christina Gonzalez's lighthearted illustrations perfectly capture the spirit of a summer in Alarcón's Mexico where colors are more colorful, tastes are tastier, and even time seems to slow down.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:05 -0400)

A bilingual collection of poems in which the renowned Mexican American poet revisits and celebrates his childhood memories of summers, Mexico, and nature.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,726,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible