The Bungalow by Sarah Jio

The Bungalow

by Sarah Jio

Book Description:
In the summer of 1942, newly engaged Anne Calloway sets off to serve in the Army Nurse Corps on the Pacific island of Bora-Bora. More exhilarated by the adventure of a lifetime than she ever was by her predictable fiancé, she is drawn to a mysterious soldier named Westry, and their friendship soon blossoms into hues as deep as the hibiscus flowers native to the island. Under the thatched roof of an abandoned beach bungalow, the two share a private world-until they witness a gruesome crime, Westry is suddenly redeployed, and the idyll vanishes into the winds of war.

A timeless story of enduring passion, The Bungalow chronicles Anne's determination to discover the truth about the twin losses--of life, and of love--that have haunted her for seventy years.

My Review:
This is the 3rd book that I have read by this author. It is definitely my favorite so far. It is a quick, easy read from the WWII era on the tiny island of Bora Bora. It is an interesting read about romance and friendship with a touch of mystery. The characters were unique and well developed. The story has twists and turns that held my interest to the end. I look forward to read more of Sarah Jio's books. I would highly recommend this book to those who love romantic "feel good" stories. ( )
  EadieB | Nov 18, 2017 |
I absolutely LOVED this story!! War, long lost love, the south Pacific and a missing painting what more could you ask for in a novel? This is my first book by this author and will not be the last. I could not have enjoyed this beautiful story more. ( )
  Thelmajean | Aug 6, 2017 |
Luckily I didn’t have very high expectations for The Bungalow by Sarah Jio as I ended up struggling through it. It is a romance but unfortunately the romance comes at the cost of a believable story. This tale of nurses serving in the Pacific theatre during World War II was full of one-dimensional characters who make very poor choices. The main character, Anne, was so weak willed and wishy-washy that she drove me crazy. Her best friend, Kitty, did such a 180 degree turn in her personality that it was impossible to take this book seriously. Plus we had characters zipping off to Paris, during the war, at the drop of a hat, which I know would have been impossible. And don’t get me started on some of the strange coincidences that the readers were asked to accept. This author appears to disregards all facts and just delivers on the romance and the exotic setting of Bora Bora.

Obviously The Bungalow wasn’t a book for me and I think I will have to make sure to avoid this author in the future. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 1, 2017 |
loved this :) the scenery is amazing and the drama is insane ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
Very long on romance, very short on anything else. Not my cup of tea. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Apr 7, 2016 |
For Jason, with memories of our own island bungalow. I love you.
"Hello?"

"In the summer of 1942, twenty-one-year-old Anne Calloway, newly engaged, sets off to serve in the Army Nurse Corps on the Pacific island of Bora-Bora. More exhilarated by the adventure of a lifetime than she ever was by her predictable fianc, she is drawn to a mysterious soldier named Westry, and their friendship soon blossoms into hues as deep as the hibiscus flowers native to the island. Under the thatched roof of an abandoned beach bungalow, the two share a private world--until they witness a gruesome crime, Westry is suddenly redeployed, and the idyll vanishes into the winds of war. A timeless story of enduring passion, The Bungalow chronicles Anne's determination to discover the truth about the twin losses--of life, and of love--that have haunted her for seventy years"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,823,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible