The Auction by Kitty Thomas

Info:Publisher Unknown, Kindle Edition
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fantasy

The Auction by Kitty Thomas

Bdsm and aliens. Ooooh yes. I'm starting to realize that I may have a thing for alien erotica. I think they're fun to read. I haven't come across any super weird ones yet though!

So what we have here are humanoid aliens with dragonish features like retractable claws and wings, sharp teeth, and skin colors such as red and blue. The males are also very well endowed. *waggles eyebrows* Of course. Ha.

I kinda wish the aliens were better described though. I had trouble picturing them. Thomas's writing kinda lacked in this department. I wanted better details not only on the aliens' looks but also on their abode. It's a short story, but I would have liked it to be vivid and not plain.

I thought the way the menage was linked to the alien's culture was interesting. They share their mates with others first. Here's how Master, one of the aliens, explains it to Belle:

"Our kind has always shared mates because it causes all the males in the family to become strongly attached to all the females, encouraging us to equally protect them all. If we don't know who offspring belongs to, we treat them all as our own. It allows our kind to go on. It's also about respect. We share what brings us pleasure with the other males in our family. It's just our way."

Here's a quote from Belle's point-of-view that makes the menage to me more than just something for the sexy factor. (This takes place after she has accepted being Master's mate, and she's watching him have sex with his brother's mate.) It actually has some emotional meaning to it.

Sharing your mate with someone else was to them like sharing food might be to humans. Something you did with those you loved because you loved them and wanted them to have good things, wanted them to enjoy the same things you enjoyed, to share the experience.

I didn't like how it suddenly ends. It's pretty short too. I wanted more.

The aliens stole the show for me. Belle was ok. I couldn't get totally get into her mindset, because her thoughts her were kinda erratic. Her hesitation and fears about the aliens and the evolution of her attraction to them were flat . It wasn't handled as gracefully as I would have liked. ( )
  missreaderbooks | Jul 24, 2014 |
This felt like a first edit rather than a completed story. The writing is fine, and the action is good but it left me with too many questions: why was there an auction? what was the point of it? and why did the aliens want the humans there? If it's revised, it might be a really good read. ( )
  StormChase | Dec 12, 2013 |
Short story, but good. This is Kitty Thomas' first venture into "paranormal" as an alien "monster" purchases a human concubine from the city. The cultural differences between the two species takes a while for both of them to figure out. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
In her novella The Auction, Kitty Thomas offers a new sci-fi twist to her dark erotica exploring Master/slave relationships. This is the story of Belle, a young woman living on an alien planet at some point in the future. In her society, women are treated as property and auctioned as slaves soon after their 18th birthday. Women with wealthy families or friends are often bought and immediately given their freedom. Belle was not so lucky. Her parents were killed by the "monsters" that live outside their city. Since then she's worked hard to secure her freedom after the auction by giving sexual favors to a few of the rich young men, especially one who has promised to buy her and let her go.

Belle's dreams of freedom are crushed when the winning bidder of her auction turns out to be one of the dragon-like monsters from beyond the city walls. She is both terrified and aroused as he takes her away to be his slave. Master, as she is to call him, looks like a man, though much larger with reddish skin and wings. His brother called Sir is similar looking except with bluish skin. Belle quickly learns that their culture is quite different than hers. Brothers share mates because they believe it strengthens the family. While Master is her owner, she is also Sir's plaything.

The Auction is a compelling look at Belle's journey to accepting her submissive nature. Though she struggles with her feelings, she can't deny the thrilling affect Master and Sir's dominance has on her. The story is told in first person so we're able to experience Belle's internal conflicts and emotions with her. Master and Sir were very unique characters - the first actual monsters for Kitty Thomas, and not just in a figurative sense. We didn't get to know them quite as much as Belle, but I'm glad the author put more focus on her given the shorter nature of novellas.

I really enjoyed the new direction that Kitty Thomas took with The Auction. The futuristic, other-worldly setting drew me in, though the sci-fi elements did not overshadow the story. She remained true to her exploration of the Master/slave dynamic, and she more than delivered on the kinky, D/s sex scenes. Yes, the non-consensual element is strong, but as in all of Ms. Thomas' books, it's tastefully done and is an important part of her character's sexual awakening. The Auction is a shorter novella at about 20,000 words. Fans of BDSM erotica should not miss it! ( )
  bookofsecrets | Dec 12, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,563,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible