Fracture by Megan Miranda

Title:Fracture
Authors:Megan Miranda
Info:Walker Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 272 pages

Fracture by Megan Miranda

Um. Not great. But managed to finish it. I found the premise interesting, but the tos and fros were totally silly. How can the main character be attracted to the totally invisible (and non-descript) Carson, the (literally) boy next door, and the dangerous guy? I actually found her attraction to Troy mega disturbing. Not memorable. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
Interesting teen read, paranormal story about a girl who should be brain dead but for some reason is alive, with the curse of being able to sense near death in others. Good tight writing and fast paced, and interesting subject/ dilemmas. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Fracture tells the story of a girl who's had a near-death experience, and gains powers from said experience afterwards. Although the premise isn't that original, the plot line does develop nicely, as do the characters. Delaney, the protagonist, develops the ability to predict death of the people around her, and she discovers that she's not the only one with this ability when she meets Troy, a boy who's has a similar experience. However, whether Troy truly has darker intentions is unknown, and throughout the book more twists and turns will be revealed. When I read this book for the first time, I found Delaney's character to be relatable, especially in terms of how she reacts to her parents after the accident. However, during the second read, I found Delaney's character to be a bit moody and whiny. Whether this is a criticism of her character or a term of self reflection, I'm not entirely sure of, but regardless, Delaney can be a little dramatic. Nonetheless, it's a pretty good read. ( )
  kdavis17 | Jan 22, 2016 |
I first read this book as a super ARC. Literally, a manuscript was sent to me in the mail and I devoured it. That was almost five years ago, and I've only just gotten around to reading the actual finished book. So I went in with a bit of hesitancy... would it be as good as I remembered? Would anything have changed? It's a scary thing to reread a book you remember as being awesome, but can't remember a whole lot about.

The beginning of this book isn't all that interesting. The writing isn't quite phenomenal, but it's very good. I would not be surprised if Megan Miranda's writing got quite superb in the future (I haven't yet read her more recent novels). But it doesn't matter too much because the plot is awesome.

It's an original premise. A rather unique character. I hate love triangles, but the Decker-Delaney-Troy stuff is totally fine with me. Troy is an amazing character.

All of the mental brain stuff is very cool to read. How Delaney struggles, how her mom struggles, how literally EVERYONE struggles and you the reader honestly don't know if everything's going to fall apart or not.

And the ending. I love Delaney. She's so clever. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jul 24, 2015 |
There's only so long a person can fall through ice, be in the freezing water and survive. At least that's what Delaney Maxwell thought before she fell through the ice of Falcon Lake. Delaney was under the ice for eleven minutes before she was pulled out. Eleven minutes.

Her heart stopped. Her brain stopped. Delaney was dead.

Common - and medical knowledge alike say that Delaney should have brain and other damage yet when she wakes up from her coma, she seems fine. At least, outwardly.

Brain scans show her brain is damaged, but there's no evidence of that damage in her actions . . .

The only way Delaney feels different is the inexplicable 'pulls' she feels. Suddenly, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. But what comes first: her appearance or the fact that they will die?

With everything in and around her seemingly different, Delaney feels more alone than ever. When a mysterious new boy, Troy, appears and claims to know about her, about comas, will he help her, be an outlet? Or will her bring more trouble?

Fracture is an amazing debut. When we learn of Delaney's coma - and her waking from it - the detail that is used is great. It helps understand everything that the characters are experiencing - both Delaney and her parents. It's much better than if Delaney had just woken up, details had been glossed over but the general picture given. The details really help me as a reader connect with Delaney.

I very much enjoy the directions the different characters take over the course of the story. They weren't all predictable - in fact, most of them were not - yet their actions did fit with the plot and what was happening around those characters. I love when characters do things that aren't predictable or expected, that are deeper, more thought out than the easy, predictable actions. When they flow as well as they did in Fracture, that is.

Megan Miranda seemed to have a great grasp of the characters emotions given some very difficult situations, no less. Her writing, too, was something I really loved. The different phrases she used, seemingly simple but such a beautiful way of comparing or portraying things.

The only place where I could have wished for maybe just a little bit more was with Troy. I wouldn't have hated just a little bit more development of his character.

The ending of Fracture is . . . ooh, I love it. It sneaks up on you, but then wow is it there. And it is pretty darn amazing.

Rating: 9/10 and author interview ( )
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
The first time I died I didn't see God.

After falling through the ice of a frozen lake and being resuscitated by her best friend Decker, seventeen-year-old Delaney begins experiencing a strange affinity for the dead and wonders whether she is predicting death or causing it.

91 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,544,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible