Fracture by Megan Miranda

by Megan Miranda

Authors:Megan Miranda
Info:Walker Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 272 pages

Fracture by Megan Miranda

I first read this book as a super ARC. Literally, a manuscript was sent to me in the mail and I devoured it. That was almost five years ago, and I've only just gotten around to reading the actual finished book. So I went in with a bit of hesitancy... would it be as good as I remembered? Would anything have changed? It's a scary thing to reread a book you remember as being awesome, but can't remember a whole lot about.

The beginning of this book isn't all that interesting. The writing isn't quite phenomenal, but it's very good. I would not be surprised if Megan Miranda's writing got quite superb in the future (I haven't yet read her more recent novels). But it doesn't matter too much because the plot is awesome.

It's an original premise. A rather unique character. I hate love triangles, but the Decker-Delaney-Troy stuff is totally fine with me. Troy is an amazing character.

All of the mental brain stuff is very cool to read. How Delaney struggles, how her mom struggles, how literally EVERYONE struggles and you the reader honestly don't know if everything's going to fall apart or not.

And the ending. I love Delaney. She's so clever. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jul 24, 2015 |
There's only so long a person can fall through ice, be in the freezing water and survive. At least that's what Delaney Maxwell thought before she fell through the ice of Falcon Lake. Delaney was under the ice for eleven minutes before she was pulled out. Eleven minutes.

Her heart stopped. Her brain stopped. Delaney was dead.

Common - and medical knowledge alike say that Delaney should have brain and other damage yet when she wakes up from her coma, she seems fine. At least, outwardly.

Brain scans show her brain is damaged, but there's no evidence of that damage in her actions . . .

The only way Delaney feels different is the inexplicable 'pulls' she feels. Suddenly, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. But what comes first: her appearance or the fact that they will die?

With everything in and around her seemingly different, Delaney feels more alone than ever. When a mysterious new boy, Troy, appears and claims to know about her, about comas, will he help her, be an outlet? Or will her bring more trouble?

Fracture is an amazing debut. When we learn of Delaney's coma - and her waking from it - the detail that is used is great. It helps understand everything that the characters are experiencing - both Delaney and her parents. It's much better than if Delaney had just woken up, details had been glossed over but the general picture given. The details really help me as a reader connect with Delaney.

I very much enjoy the directions the different characters take over the course of the story. They weren't all predictable - in fact, most of them were not - yet their actions did fit with the plot and what was happening around those characters. I love when characters do things that aren't predictable or expected, that are deeper, more thought out than the easy, predictable actions. When they flow as well as they did in Fracture, that is.

Megan Miranda seemed to have a great grasp of the characters emotions given some very difficult situations, no less. Her writing, too, was something I really loved. The different phrases she used, seemingly simple but such a beautiful way of comparing or portraying things.

The only place where I could have wished for maybe just a little bit more was with Troy. I wouldn't have hated just a little bit more development of his character.

The ending of Fracture is . . . ooh, I love it. It sneaks up on you, but then wow is it there. And it is pretty darn amazing.

Rating: 9/10 and author interview ( )
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
This is a short book that I found exceptionally good, I couldn't put it down good, I really was invested in the characters and wanted to know what happened next.

Delaney Maxwell runs across a frozen lake, like she has done several times before, to be with friends on the other side and slips in. It's a terrible accident that no-one expects her to wake from, when she does wake her world is different and in it is a boy called Troy Varga, he offers her some guidance but does she want what he's offering?

Interesting complex and enthralling. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 13, 2015 |
Interesting book, a definite young adult genre. Delaney and Deckers friendship changes after she comes out of a coma after the doctors say, she is brain dead. She makes a full recovery, but she isn't normal anymore. A mysterious young man shows up in town and seems to know more about her than he should. Is he the angel of death? Why is he here, and why is he lurking around the homes of dying people, for that matter, why is Delaney there too. Explores death and guilt in surviving, but mainly a teenage love story. ( )
  booklovers2 | Nov 30, 2014 |
This book was really good, but it took me a while to finish. It was well written, but I didn't love it. The plot is different, something I've never read before. I give the book four stars. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
The first time I died I didn't see God.

After falling through the ice of a frozen lake and being resuscitated by her best friend Decker, seventeen-year-old Delaney begins experiencing a strange affinity for the dead and wonders whether she is predicting death or causing it.

18 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible