Fracture by Megan Miranda

Title:Fracture
Authors:Megan Miranda
Info:Walker Childrens (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 272 pages

Fracture by Megan Miranda

2012 (5) ARC (6) coma (4) death (14) ebook (5) euthanasia (2) fantasy (2) fiction (14) friendship (6) Kindle (5) library book (3) Maine (4) mystery (5) own (2) paranormal (13) psychic (3) psychic abilities (2) read (3) read in 2012 (5) romance (7) science fiction (2) signed (3) supernatural (3) suspense (5) teen (3) thriller (2) to-read (13) wishlist (3) YA (14) young adult (21)

Miracle? Eleven minutes without breathing can change a person....... ( )
  TeamDewey | Apr 6, 2014 |
This book is about a girl who drowns but still lives and the aftermath of the drowning especially her relationship with her parents and neighbor. As an effect of the drowning, Delaney can sense when people are dying and she makes a new friend in Troy who was also in a coma. Is Troy like her in sensing death or is he causing death? I liked this book, but felt the ending was a little abrupt and should have been explained or expounded... ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 17, 2014 |
It is part coming of age, part psychological thriller and part medical mystery.

The premise of the book is interesting if not entirely unique. What is unique in this story is the fine line between being able to define the story as an example of unexplained neurological changes and/or a seemingly supernatural ability.

The character dies and comes back to life under the stretched limits of scientific possibility. The struggles she faces are both internal and external. There are the facets of her life that were in place before the accident and the new people and experiences that come about as a result of her accident.

Strong characters, good plot orientation and smooth flow make this book an easy read.

Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
In Fracture, Megan Miranda’s debut novel, life, death, and an unusual paranormal talent are some of the themes explored. Seventeen-year-old Delaney Maxwell falls through an icy lake and is rescued by her best friend Decker Phillips. Delaney was without oxygen for 11 minutes and technically died, but through a medical miracle she beats the odds and comes out of a coma relatively unscathed. Delaney survives, though, with an itch that pulls her to people who are dying.

The concept of Fracture is interesting overall and has potential, but the characters fell flat for me in this one. There are a lot of characters and ideas introduced in this book but the lack of clear focus caused me to lose interest at times. I wanted to read this book partly because the publisher compares it to some of my favorite books – Before I Fall and If I Stay. And though the life and death themes are somewhat similar, I found Fracture to have more of a paranormal feel than those books, and to have more in common with The Body Finder.

Delaney comes out of her near-death experience with guilt for having cheated death, and confusion over how to handle her new ability. She is haunted and withdrawn after the accident, but things start looking up when she meets someone else who has the same ability to sense death. However, the way Troy looks at his power is completely at odds to how Delaney does, and she needs to decide what the ability means in the big picture and how she should use it.

Neighbors Delaney and Decker have unsettled feelings that are further complicated by the guilt both of them feel after Delaney’s near drowning. He feels guilty for not acting quicker, and third parties and lack of communication keep them apart. Delaney’s parents also become over-protective after the experience, and struggle with handling Delaney and her unique problems.

The book ramps up to a tense, suspenseful and surprising conclusion, but it lost some of its impact due to a rushed feeling and an unevenness and lack of focus earlier in the book. I did like the overall theme though, and questions it raises about what it means to live. The book has an interesting concept, fast pace and a lot of potential. I also liked the wintry feel of the book and felt that added to the story. Fans of The Body Finder or the Wake series may enjoy this standalone book. Look for its release in January 2012. ( )
  readingdate | Jan 7, 2014 |
Quick Review (for when I want to talk about a book, but don't have loads to say):

When I read that this was being compared to If I Stay, I knew that I just HAD to read it. I loved If I Stay so much and I was excited to see if this really lived up. What I realized is that the two shouldn't be compared, because it's unfair to Fracture.

Now, I'm not saying that Fracture is bad. It's not. Not bad at all. It's just not quite in the same league as If I Stay, and that's absolutely okay. I liked it for completely different reasons.

I wasn't completely crazy about Delaney. I honestly didn't really like her that much. I found her whiny and annoying. She wasn't that convincing to me. However, I LOVED Decker. He was absolutely amazing. He's everything that a best friend should be. He's brave, loyal, and unwavering. If you read this, you may think that he did waver, quite a lot. But really, he was always there for Delaney, no matter what. That's fantastic. He's one of my new favorite male characters and not for the hotness (though he is hot in a geeky way, I'll give him that).

Overall, I liked the story and I know I'd have liked it a whole lot more if Delaney had been slightly different. I like that it could easily be a stand-alone, though it's the first in a planned series. It works either way.

3.5 Eiffel Towers for me, and a promise that I'm continuing the series for sure! ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |

After falling through the ice of a frozen lake and being resuscitated by her best friend Decker, seventeen-year-old Delaney begins experiencing a strange affinity for the dead and wonders whether she is predicting death or causing it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible