The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting

The Last Echo

by Kimberly Derting

1912161,769 (3.92)None

I enjoyed this book less than the first but more than the second. It had a stronger sense of mystery & suspense like the first book but the romance portion came to a screeching halt. What happened to Jay? He got majorly shafted in this book, appearing only a handful of times when his presense could not be avoided. I felt like everything from the first two books, Jay, school, the rest of Vi’s friends all got brushed off in this book. Everything was about “the center” and her work with them. It was like she didn’t even attend school anymore, at least not that we heard of.

Everything focused on Vi’s new roll working at the center with other kids like her, kids with unexplained abilities who help the FBI track down killers. We get introduced to a whole new set of main character; Sara, Rafe, Krystal, Gemma, and Sam.

While I liked this new aspect of Vi working with the center, I didn’t like how all consuming it was. The new characters were all likable enough, except for Rafe. From the minute he showed up in book two, I knew he was going to cause trouble. He & Vi feel this “connection” with each other that neither one can seem to ignore no matter how much they try. I just know things with Jay are going to fall apart in the next book and it makes me so mad!

I’m both looking forward to and dreading seeing what happens in the final book, Dead Silence. ( )
  BornBookish | Mar 4, 2014 |
I think that The Last Echo was probably my favorite book of The Body Finder series so far. It still had some slow parts, but I felt like there was more going on than in the previous book, especially since Desires of the Dead was a bit disappointing.

So, at the beginning of The Last Echo, Violet is working a case with Sara Priest’s team. She finds a girl’s body in a freezer in a warehouse, who is believed to have been killed by The Collector. At this point, Violet realizes that she wishes she could do more with her power, stopping crimes, rather than just discovering them after the fact.

We meet some new characters in Crystal, Sam, and Gemma. Since they all have abilities, they add some interesting dynamics to the story. We also get to learn a little bit more about Sara and Rafe, which I really enjoyed. Rafe is such a mysterious character that I really enjoyed learning a little bit more about him. We also get to see Violet struggle with her ability, as she tries to figure out a way to make it more useful. The villain is also all sorts of creepy. My biggest complaint is that there just isn’t enough of Jay or Violet’s friends.

I really enjoyed the story line of The Last Echo. I felt like it had more depth and levels to the plot than the previous books, and that there was a lot more going on than I even realized. I also found it to be a bit more creepier. There were moments where I considered putting the book down until the next day. I think I even had a nightmare or two about it. Definitely a spine-tingler for me.

The climax was intense and definitely had my heart in my throat, but the actual ending felt like it’s leading to darker and more dangerous places, and I’m really interested in seeing how everything plays out.

Overall, I really enjoyed The Last Echo. I felt like it was the best book of the series so far, set up the next book really well, and definitely took the story deeper. I would definitely recommend it.

You can also read this and other reviews on my blog, Mommy's Reading Break ( )
  mrso822 | Sep 21, 2013 |
Taking my time, I enjoyed this novel. Very moving from start to finish, I’m anxious to get to the next book already…

The plot of the book is once again very exciting. Moving quickly, stepping into Violet’s shoe’s, I’m ready to be a detective. I’m ready to find dead bodies and solve mysteries. Being in Violet shoes is never boring. Instead, I find myself so intrigued with the plot I can’t help but read faster.

The love interest for me is good. I know Violet is discovering different feeling in her and I know its just a matter of time before she picks. She keeps saying what she wants, just not what she feels. At this point, I think it can go either way. I do like that this love interest is not a totally love triangle. It’s complicated just not overly complicated with I could deal with. Violet doesn’t mess around or play games.

The Last Echo confirms that Violet is gaining strength and coming into her abilities fast. She is becoming much more receptive of it, which helps Violet overall. Profound and moving, The Last Echo is great! ( )
  Bookswithbite | Apr 15, 2013 |

Violet, a high school junior, discovers the body of a teen killed by "the girlfriend collector" and is determined to solve the case, but the serial killer is on the lookout for a new "relationship" and Violet may have caught his eye.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,693,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible