My Dirty Little Book of Stolen Time by Liz…

My Dirty Little Book of Stolen Time (2006)

by Liz Jensen

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (isabelx)
    isabelx: Both are very funny time travel stories.

English (13)  Dutch (1)  All (14)
Unapologetic prostitute Charlotte, who makes her living in nineteenth century Copenhagen, discovers a time machine in her employer’s cellar and is catapulted into modern-day New York. There she meets an odd band of fellow ex-pats and also the love of her life. Alas, time travel is a tricksy thing…Told in a pert, unabashed style that I adored, this is a slightly romantic romp through time and space. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Fun! This historical time-travel novel is fun and funny and sweet and bawdy, and I loved it. It tells the story of a prostitute in 19th c. Copenhagen who cons her way into a position as a maid at a fine house where there are mysterious goings-on. Turns out, there is a time machine in the basement, and our plucky heroine eventually finds herself in modern day London. All sorts of antics ensue, but what makes this novel work so incredibly well is the voice of Charlotte, the prostitute. Despite the ridiculousness, I really did care for her and what happened to her. Pure entertainment - but smart and funny at the same time. ( )
  katiekrug | Jun 6, 2015 |
bookshelves: published-2006, paper-read, under-500-ratings, spring-2014, one-penny-wonder, fantasy, time-slip, love, too-sexy-for-maiden-aunts, denmark, copenhagen, amusing, next
Read from March 08 to 11, 2014

Description: In fin-de-siecle Copenhagen, part-time prostitute Charlotte and her lumpen sidekick, Fru Schleswig, have taken on jobs as cleaning ladies of dubious talent to tide them over the harsh winter of 1897. But the home of their neurotic new employer, the widow Krak, soon reveals itself to be riddled with dark secrets - including the existence of a demonic machine rumoured to swallow people alive. Rudely catapulted into twenty-first-century London, the hapless duo discover a whole new world of glass, labour-saving devices and hectic, impossible romance.

Many blurbs for this book, however this one is on the cover...

'Unashamedley gleeful: a kind of topsy-turvy Jane Eyre with added time travel... Sit back, suspend your disbelief and enjoy' Daily Mail

Dedication: For Matti, Raphaël and Laura

Opening: Last night I deamed I went to Østerbro again, flying towards my little quadrant of Copenhagen streets just as a fairy might, or a homing bird.

The beginning opens out in 1897 and our narrator is a street girl totally broke because her two main clients have abandoned her. The one to jail for fraud, and the other a bad oyster rendered him a metre under.

Too slapstick for my taste, although I am amazed at the scope that Liz Jemsen picks to wrie about.

4* The Rapture

LeafMark
Librarything
aNobii ( )
  mimal | Mar 11, 2014 |
From the Club Rules: Members must especially beware of Danes from modern Denmark. Should one be encountered by chance, who turns inquisitive, suggest that you represent the Danish tax authorities.

Charlotte, a prostitute from 1897 Copenhagen, is short of funds after the death of one of her regulars and the jailing of another. A chance encounter in a baker's shop leads to Charlotte and her older companion Fru Schleswig, taking a job cleaning the mansion belonging to Fru Krak, but she isn't prepared for what she finds when she ventures into the basement where Fru Krak's vanished husband is rumoured to have built an infernal machine.

Amusing time travel comedy. Highly recommended. ( )
  isabelx | Sep 20, 2013 |
After finishing Liz Jensen’s most recent book, “The Uninvited,” and giving it an enthusiastic five-star review, I was curious to read some of her other works. “My Dirty Little Book of Stolen Time” seemed like a fun place to start. It was, and I am very pleased that I took the time to read this gem.

Liz Jensen is a savvy literary writer, but with this work she delivers a bawdy and rollicking sci-fi drama that’s often just plain funny. This book is about time travel. It tells the story a prostitute from late 19th century Copenhagen who falls into an improbable situation where she is catapulted via time travel to modern day London. There she finds a small community of other Dutch time-travelers from her same time period. They assist her in adapting to the craziness of her new world…but naturally, many in the community long to go back and revisit the old time. The reasons why they wish to do this are often exceedingly witty.

The main character is one beautiful and busty Charlotte Schleswig. Naturally, she has a heart of gold, is smart as a whip, and has a five-star mouth on her for anyone who crosses her the wrong way. Any reader will fall in love with her, and despite the comedy and sci-fi oddity of it all, Charlotte will live in the readers’ mind as a fully fleshed out and three-dimensional character. Jenson is that good as a writer.

The old-fashioned bawdy 19th century voice of the main character is perhaps the best thing about this novel. Jenson does it marvelously! For some casual readers, this odd voice might get in the way of their pleasure, but for me, it was the central best thing about this book. I can believe that Jensen started this little gem as an exercise to stretch her literary skills by writing in the voice of another century…and then it just grew into the fine novel that it is. As sci-fi goes, the story is mostly ludicrous but very merry and a delightful diversion. This book is all about character and humor…and, for me, outstanding (and very funny) period dialogue.

I loved it and think it would make a good read for a long plane ride or a few days lounging around the pool on vacation. ( )
  msbaba | Mar 13, 2013 |
For Matti, Raphael and Laura
Last night I dreamed I went to Østerbro again, flying towards my little quadrant of Copenhagen streets just as a fairy might, or a homing bird. I

Charlotte Schleswig, the narrator of Liz Jensen's latest novel, supports herself and the lumpen Fru Schleswig (who may or may not be her mother) as a prostitute in 1890s Copenhagen. While she is no small success at the trade, she leaps at a new job opportunity for herself and Fru Schleswig, as cleaning ladies for a wealthy widow. But mysteries abound at Fru Krak's dark old mansion. The basement appears to be haunted, townspeople claim to have seen the dead Professor Krak walking the streets as a ghost, and there are stories of desperate souls who paid the professor a visit and never emerged. In fact, there is a simple explanation for all this: the basement is home to a time machine. When their cunning investigations land them in trouble, Charlotte and Fru Schleswig find themselves catapulted through time and space to modern-day London, and there their adventures truly begin.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,400,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible