The World on Sunday : Graphic Art in Joseph…

The World on Sunday : Graphic Art in Joseph Pulitzer's Newspaper (1898 -… (2005)

by Nicholson Baker

This is a gorgeous look at the comics and other illustrations in the newspapers of a hundred-odd years ago, with interesting commentary by Nicholson Baker. His essay is optional, though--this book is really about the pictures. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
Being an excellent choice of pages reproduced in large format from a big-town publication representative of newspapering when it was in its pomp. I would hope that it would inspire folks to get out there and read or at least look at the originals, an experience which is far more sublime. ( )
  Big_Bang_Gorilla | May 4, 2011 |
Homage to Baker and Brentano!
As a librarian, I am horrified, but unfortunately not too surprised to learn that few libraries have kept back issues of the newspaper put out by one of the great figures in USA publishing. And that's before I saw how beautiful it is! The idea that not only all this information but all this art was nearly lost is appalling. (I'm glad Duke University took it, but I hope the gift requires them to return it if they decide to throw it out.) I've been on the losing end of these fights, and no, one can't always assume that someone else kept the material.

Meanwhile, enjoy a glorious and gorgeous piece of historic publishing. I had no idea that color printing was so widely used ad so good at such an early time. The pictures often show great artistic skill and witty humor. There are also some fascinating bits of newpaper history.

A fantastic gift to the nation and the world. I can only show my appreciation by buying my own copy. ( )
1 vote juglicerr | Jul 12, 2009 |
a fascinating coffee table book. ( )
  DaveFragments | Apr 19, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0821261932, Hardcover)

Joseph Pulitzer's NEW YORK WORLD flourished at the turn of the 20th century and out of it grew what we think of as the modern daily paper. It was famous for muckraking and sensationalism but to a contemporary eye what is most striking about the paper (and in particular its Sunday edition) is that it was filled with colourful art - caricatures, full-page cartoons, disaster drawings, fiction illustrations, hand-lettered typography, weird science, halftone photographs, maps and much more. In order to save them from destruction, author Nicholson Baker started buying up newspaper archives from libraries around the world, eventually forming the American Newspaper Repository. Now, with co- author Margaret Brentano he has selected 85 of the finest examples of period reporting, bold and playful graphic design, long-lost comic strips and society pieces from the heyday of THE NEW YORK WORLD for reproduction in this oversized volume.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

Joseph Pulitzer's New York World flourished at the turn of the twentieth century, and out of it grew what we think of as the modern daily paper. The World was famous for muckraking and sensationalism, but to a contemporary eye what is most striking about the paper (and in particular its Sunday edition) is that it was filled with colorful art--caricatures, full-page cartoons, disaster drawings, fiction illustrations, hand-lettered typography, weird science, halftone photographs, maps, and more. Co-authors Baker and Brentano have selected 85 of the finest examples of period reporting, bold and playful graphic design, long-lost comic strips, and society pieces from the heyday of the New York World for reproduction in this delightful, oversized volume. Baker's introductory essay argues the significance and beauty of Pulitzer's paper, and Brentano's detailed captions and notes accompany the colorful reproductions throughout.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,987,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible