Public Parts by Jeff Jarvis

Public Parts (edition 2011)

by Jeff Jarvis

Member:HoundofBaskerville
Title:Public Parts
Authors:Jeff Jarvis
Info:Simon & Schuster (2011), Kindle Edition, 274 pages
Tags:kindle

Public Parts: How Sharing in the Digital Age Improves the Way We Work and Live by Jeff Jarvis

English (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (3)
As someone who's been knocking around the internetz for about a decade now, I enjoyed the hell out of this book because it tackled quite a few of the issues I've always had, like sharing and privacy and the associated hang ups as a content creator and social networker. There's that compulsion to share and exchange information and ideas, but there's similarly just as strong a compulsion to retain a level of privacy and distance.

This book focuses on the benefits of sharing, while asking exactly what is it that we want to keep private and why do we need to keep it private? Where is the actual harm in not being private? Where is the harm in sharing and being part of a community and part of an ongoing discussion? I felt myself being swayed a lot by Jarvis's pro-sharing stance, because ultimately it really still is up to me what I share and what I keep private. As with all things, it's just a matter of using a common sense approach when opening your digital big mouth. ( )
  h_d | Mar 31, 2013 |
Not sure I agree that it's improving the way we work and live. ( )
  remikit | Feb 20, 2012 |

Argues that the growth of social networking and increased openness online is beneficial in the digital age and can lead to increased collaboration and changes in the way people organize, govern, teach, and learn.

17 wanted3 pay2 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible