Para Para Volume 1 by Andy Seto

Para Para Volume 1

by Andy Seto

91950,433 (1.5)None

I knew that this would be awful. One had only to read the back cover's synopsis - "In Andy Seto's Para Para, Yuki a young athelete-turned dancer and a swave gangster are drawn together by the events which had previously led to the death of Yuki's sister. Action, mystery, intrigue and hip dance moves help raise the popular Para Para craze to new heights." - spelling errors are not mine, they are printed on the back cover! Awful. Did they forget to run it by an editor?

The art is...interesting. Inconsistent. Male figures are drawn OK but the women are boxy and buxom. The figures are dancers, celebrating the Para Para (Dance Dance Revolution in our world) craze but their bodies look extremely static and stiff.
The art is in color, but I wonder if it was published like this only in the US. There are some panels that are only partially colored or are completely black and white, while the screen tone use is consistent with manga's black and white artwork. But if someone colored it for the US market, why? This was published in 2004, so the manga market was already well established. If the color addition happened back in Hong Kong, I wonder why they made that choice.

Story: so-so. The end wraps up far too neatly and the characters are all pretty one dimensional. I guess other than a few pretty panels of art, I can't think of any positives for a graphic novel. It's just bad. Awfully, terribly bad. ( )
  makaiju | Jun 24, 2008 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,979,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible