The Egyptian by Layton Green

The Egyptian (2013)

by Layton Green

By Lis on my blog: Book Girl on Mur y Castell

*Squee* Remember how a while back I reviewed Layton Green’s The Summoner? Remember just how much I loved it and recommended you read this book too? Well a while back B. was contacted by the author to do a pre-release of the author’s latest book: The Egyptian. Let me tell you, I was one happy happy woman when she got me that request. Needless to say I got right down to reading, but the knights put me of from writing the review. So here I am with my notebook full of squee about this book. Let’s see if I can get you to squee right along with me.

To tell you the truth, this book is not a girly, squee, romantic kind of book. It’s quite the thoughtful and scary story, full of details of myths and history, occultism, background and world building, and a mystery to rival The DaVinci Code.

Remember Dominic Grey? In The Summoner he worked for the Diplomatic Service, but since then he started working for our other hero: Professor Viktor Radek, who specializes in religious phenomenology. Basically, he consults high ranking clients on dangerous, obscure cults. Grey is James Bond to Viktor’s Indiana Jones and together they make one heck of a team.

This time the mystery involves a mummy. Alright, I’m kidding. There is a mummy but the mystery goes much deeper than that. Initially Grey and Radek are hired by an Egyptian company to locate stole research on something oh so interesting – I’ll let you find that out for yourself – but it isn’t long before they run into a dangerous cult and things get real interesting real quick. You know how cults, religion and science make a very bad mix? Well you ain’t seen nothing yet!

Like in the first book there is a lot of information in this book. There is a lot of background on myth, history and the occult and cults (and the cult featured in this book actually made my skin crawl). The flow of information in this book is well balanced by both the story and the characters. Grey is just as interesting and rogue as in the first book and Radek is just as mysterious. While they are the main characters in this story, they are supported by a well-balanced cast. These characters are not just your average story characters. They are complex, interesting and mysterious. The author gives you just enough to keep you wondering as to what they role in the story really is. One character I found most interesting was Veronica.

The setting in The Egyptian is breathtaking. Layton knows how to write the characters’ surroundings in such a way that it almost feels as if you’re actually there. Just like in The Summoner this story takes you places: from Egypt to Eastern Europe. It’s nice to see a setting that doesn’t feature America predominantly.

The Egyptian is a rare gem that puts the DaVinci Code to shame. It’s a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat, makes you want to grab your teddy bear and hide under the covers just as it keeps you from putting it down because you want to know what happens next. I sure hope this author keeps writing! ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
I'm not sure what kind of complement I am paying to a thriller when I say that I found the multiple expositions in the story -- about Bulgarian life and culture, anti-aging research, primitive Egyptian gods, and jujutsu -- is as interesting as the story. I liked the story well enough, and the characters, especially the soldier of fortune whose career was launched by his deep need to get the heck away from rural Oklahoma. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Nov 23, 2014 |
Again, Layton Green has delivered a mystery that is not only a great story that is fast paces action with every turn but delivers a philosophical question of old, immortality, into the hands of the 21st century ethics of this search. The what-ifs of living encompassed by the secrets if the ancients. What would happen if there was such a thing? What are the implications to the world population? How do we muck around in these questions without losing our humanity?

Dominic Grey and Viktor may cine at this from to different positions but their passion is relentless. Answering the questions we all have while searching for their own soul in these questions. Their place within these mysteries. ( )
  AKMamma | Nov 25, 2013 |
This is another excellent read, The Egyptian is the second in the Dominic Grey stories. I love the style and precise vocab. I'd be happy to to read a third book if it is written. ( )
  christinelstanley | Feb 12, 2012 |
That time of year thou mayst in me behold
When yellow leaves, or non, or few, do hang
Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
Bare ruin'd choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.
In me thou seest the twilight of such day
As after sunset fadeth in the west,
Which by and by black night doth take away,
Death's second self, that seals up all in rest.
In me thou see'st the glowing of such fire
That on the ashes of his youth doth lie,
As the death-bed whereon it must expire
Consumed with that which it was nourish'd by.
This thou perceivest, which makes thy love more strong,
To love that well which thou must leave ere long.

—William Shakespeare, Sonnet 73
To my son
Siti hummed to himself as he picked his way through the crypts and mausoleums shrouded by eerie blue fog.

Layton Green is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,068,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible