Wind Rider's Oath (Bahzell 3) by David Weber

Wind Rider's Oath (Bahzell 3) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by David Weber

Series: War God (3)

Member:infiniteletters
Title:Wind Rider's Oath (Bahzell 3)
Authors:David Weber
Info:Baen (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, Ether, Series, More copies!, ebooks
Tags:verify, wishlist, military, fantasy, magic, friends, families, royalty, princes, gods, politics, travel, survival, gender roles, demons, anger, quest, horses, bonding, telepathy, series, Bahzell, Oath of Swords, ebook

Wind Rider's Oath by David Weber (2004)

Recently added byArlieS, astraplain, barhbar, Maddz, JKPL, Glennis.LeBlanc, private library, ringman, K_Weston

Wind Rider's Oath actually seems to come together as a novel with a recognizable structure, which is... nice. It also starts to move away from the original main character some, which is good, because he's suffering a bad case of mudflation - his powers keep growing to the point where he's basically Superman and therefore quite difficult to put in any sort of challenging spot.

The characters that start to take over are much more interesting. I find the war maids - female warrior types that basically have to live outside the bounds of their patriarchal society - kind of problematic in a couple of ways, but not enough to not enjoy them. And this is the first point in the series where we really start to see who the enemies are and what their motivations might be - previously, they were all just puppy-kicking psychopaths, which isn't all that interesting.

So overall a good entry in the series, although it ends sort of midstream. But I just need to record for posterity the impressive arc of my eyeroll when I realized that Our Hero was, yes, going to telepathically bond to an intelligent horse. Because that's never been done before. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
No one ever claimed the War God's sense of humor was a gentle one... Bahzell's new mission appears to be tracking down and squelching the latest demon up-rising. Which just happens to be smack in the middle of the Wind Plain, home to the Hradnai's bitter traditional enemies, the Wind Riders and their majestic (and deadly) coursers.

The third installment of Bahzell's adventures - a slightly more intricate plot, but still an excellent adventure. ( )
  SunnySD | Feb 20, 2012 |
Huh. I thought I'd read this before - apparently. I only read about two-thirds of it. I slogged through all the politics and careful consideration of next steps - like chess, if I do this he/they will likely do that and then I can do this but if they do the other thing I'll have to... - and never got to the payoff. There is a lot of politics and setup in here, but it lays the necessary foundations for a heck of a lot of action - of many sorts and in many places. It's a much better book than I was remembering it as - I upgraded my rating from 3.5 to 4.5. A good next step in Bahzell's adventures. Though I'm still waiting to see what becomes of Brandark! Oh, and the scene on the cover is the very last one in the book - literally, the last page. And Kerry is - not badly drawn, but inconsistently - she looks like she does on the cover of War God's Own, darn it, not like that! (This applies to the cover, not how she's portrayed in the book - there's nothing inconsistent about that.) ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jul 9, 2009 |
I’m almost half way through this book and I have to say, it’s nothing like the earlier two books. They’re so much better, with so much more action. This book is longer than either of the previous two, yet it seems to have less content. There is so much dialog and so little going-on that it’s driving me nuts and I can’t wait to finish it so I can read something else.

Having finished this book (finally), I can now say it went from a 3 to a 6 (on a scale of 10), with maybe a 5 overall. The writing was definitely too long-winded to start, and no action really started up until half of the book was behind you. The end somewhat made up for that, but I think it could have been a better book had it been shorter. The ending was exciting, and after about page 250 or so it got easier to stick with the story and keep reading. After page 300 I stopped wanting to put it down and start reading something else (again). ( )
  Homechicken | Nov 19, 2007 |

David Weberprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caldwell, ClydeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Megan, Morgan, and Michael, who hold my heart in their hands. And always and especially for Sharon, the center of us all, for making miracles possible.
Thunder rumbled overhead like a distant battering ram, pounding at the hasp of heaven. The harsh grumble was muted in the stone-walled room, but the waterfall sound of the pounding rain came through the single open widow on the windy breath of the chilly spring night.

The War God never promised him he'd be voted "Most Popular"

Horse Stealer hradani aren't very popular among the Sothōii. There's the little matter of a thousand years of mutual raiding and slaughter. Then there's the hradani's uncontrollable bouts of berserk bloodlust and fury. Not to mention their notion that the Sothōii's beloved warhorses are culinary delicacies. So just what is Bahzell Bahnakson of the Horse Stealer hradani doing the middle of the Sothōii Wind Plain?

Trying to stay alive, of course. But that's not going to be easy. Not only is he a Horse Stealer, but the son of the Horse Stealers' ruler,and the Horse Stealers' ambassador to Baron Tellian, the most powerful of all the Sothōii nobles. And a champion of Tomanāk, the God of War and Justice - a claim most Sothōii regard as outright blasphemy.

That would be enough to keep things lively, but when you add the plots of Baron Tellian's worst political enemy, evil wizards, hordes of undead demons, at least two Dark Gods, assassins and last, but not least, one extremely determined fourteen-year-old girl, Bahzell has his hands full. Fortunately, he has a few friends along to help.

Unfortunately, his problems are just beginning...

'Wind Rider's Oath' is an exciting fantasy adventure by the bestselling author of the Honor Harrington series, David Weber.

1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,302,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible