The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual…

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment (1999)

by Eckhart Tolle

English (78)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (86)
El Poder del Ahora es una guía o curso completo de meditación y realización. Es un libro para ser leído una y otra vez, porque en cada ocasión que vuelves a él encuentras más profundidad y significados
  Haijavivi | Jun 3, 2019 |
DO NOT READ THIS BOOK... if you're trying to learn how to be happier. Read Meditation for Beginner's by Jack Kornfield and Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana. Both of those will actually give you practical advice for how to be happier. Hint: it involves sitting and getting to know yourself.

READ THIS BOOK... if you have a lot of time to burn and a high tolerance for woo. If you're willing to wade through way too many words, many of them nonsense, then this is provides a decent description of "enlightenment". Which isn't really anything special, it's just being right here, right now. It's sad that that is such a rare experience but while Tolle is obviously there it's equally obvious that he doesn't know how he got there and has no clue how to get you there. The meditation books mentioned at the top of this review will actually tell you how to get where Tolle's at.

NOTE... I feel like two stars is kind of generous for this. He seems sincere but there's so much nonsense and no practical advice. I didn't hate it, I feel really frustrating that he'll distract so many people with "advice" that boils down to "just be happy". If it were that easy we'd all have done it already. ( )
  Awfki | Mar 29, 2019 |
Eckhart Tolle's message is simple: living in the now is the truest path to happiness and enlightenment. And while this message may not seem stunningly original or fresh, Tolle's clear writing, supportive voice and enthusiasm make this an excellent manual for anyone who's ever wondered what exactly "living in the now" means. Foremost, Tolle is a world-class teacher, able to explain complicated concepts in concrete language. More importantly, within a chapter of reading this book, readers are already holding the world in a different container--more conscious of how thoughts and emotions get in the way of their ability to live in genuine peace and happiness.
Tolle packs a lot of information and inspirational ideas into The Power of Now. (Topics include the source of Chi, enlightened relationships, creative use of the mind, impermanence and the cycle of life.) Thankfully, he's added markers that symbolise "break time". This is when readers should close the book and mull over what they just read. As a result, The Power of Now reads like the highly acclaimed A Course in Miracles--a spiritual guidebook that has the potential to inspire just as many study groups and change just as many lives for the better.
  PSZC | Mar 20, 2019 |
I'll start off by saying that I totally agree with what this book is trying to say. It's a promotion of mindfulness - being present in the moment and focusing on the Now instead of fearing the past or future.

But I fear I may not be intelligent enough to understand this concept - so basic at its essence - as described in this book. For an example, one sentence reads, "In the normal, mind-identified or unenlightened state of consciousness, the power and infinite creative potential that lie concealed in the Now are completely obscured by psychological time." Umm, what? Or "The whole essence of Zen consists in walking along the razor’s edge of Now — to be so utterly, so completely present that no problem, no suffering, nothing that is not who you are in your essence, can survive in you."

I'll stick with mindfulness and I highly recommend the practice of it. But I would also have to suggest other books to better explain the idea of it and it's benefits. For me, at least, this one was just a little too confusing!
  ErinMa | Feb 22, 2019 |
A journey through the intellect, the ego, fear, the Self, our own consciousness and the full myriad of all of our layers and makeup in order to discover The Truth that is Within You. ( )
  KatieStanley | Dec 12, 2018 |
You are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold. That is how important you are! - Eckhart Tolle
A beggar had been sitting by the side of a road for over thirty years.
When you say Being, are you talkíng about God? If you are, then why don't you say it?
The word God has become empty of meaning through thousands of years of misuse. I use it sometimes, but I do so sparingly. By misuse I mean that people who have never even glimpsed the realm of the sacred, the infinite vastness behind that word, use it with great conviction, as if they knew what they are talking about. Or they argue against it, as íf they knew what it is that they are denying. This misuse gives rise to absurd beliefs, assertions, and egoic delusions, such as "My or our God is the only true God, and your God is false," or Nietzsche's famous statement "God is dead." The word God has become a closed concept. The moment the word is uttered, a mental image is created, no longer, perhaps, of an old man with a white beard, but still a rnental representation of someone or something outside you, and, yes, almost inevitably a male someone or something. Neither God, nor Being nor any other word can define or explain the ineffable reality behind the word, so the only important question is whether the word is a help or a hindrance in enabling you to experience That toward which it points. Does it point beyond itself to that transcendental reality, or does it lend itself too easily to becoming no more than an idea in your head that you believe in, a mental idol?The word Being explains nothing, but nor does God. Being,however, has the advantage that it is an open concept. It does not reduce the infinite invisible to a finite entity. It is impossible to form a mental image of it. Nobody can claim exclusive possession of Being. It is your very essence, and it is immediately accessible to you as the feeling of your own presence, the realization I am that is prior to I am this or I am that. So it is only a small step from the word Being to the experience of Being.

Om de weg te gaan die wordt beschreven in De kracht van het Nu dien je de indentificatie me je analytische geest en het daardoor gecreërde onechte zelf, het ego, te laten varen. We zijn ons denken niet. We kunnen onszelf van psychische pijn verlossen. Je authentieke kracht wordt pas gemobiliseerd door je over te geven aan het Nu. Hier vinden we vreugde en zijn we in staat ons ware zelf te omarmen.
Daar komen we er ook achter dat we al 'heel' en 'volmaakt' zijn. Velen zullen tijdens het lezen van dit boek vaststellen dat de grootste blokkades om in het Nu te komen onze relaties zijn, dat wil zeggen de manier waarop we in onze relaties staan. Relaties kunnen echter ook een toegang zijn om tot verlichting te komen, mits we ze wijs benutten zodat ze bijdragen aan onze bewustwording en we daardoor in staat zijn meer liefde te geven.
Als we volledig aanwezig kunnen zijn en iedere stap in het Nu kunnen zetten, kunnen we de werkelijkheid ervaren van zaken als 'overgave', 'vergeving' en 'het onnoembare'. Zo kunnen we onszelf openstellen voor de transformerende ervaring van De kracht van het Nu.
Når vi erkjenner at vi skaper vår egen lidelse, kan vi frigjøre oss fra smerte, frykt og nevroser - en gang for alle!
"Når vi innser at det er vårt eget sinn som er ansvarlig for all smerte, med den uopphørlige strømmen av tanker som retter seg mot fortiden samtidig som vi bekymrer oss over fremtiden, vil vi finne vårt sanne jeg," hevder Eckhart Tolle i "Det er NÅ du lever". "Vi er alle opphøyde vesener, og vi må gjenopprette kontakten med vår innerste natur og uttrykke oss gjennom vår helt spesielle guddommelige virkelighet i den fysiske verden - hele tiden. Da først vil vi oppleve fred og harmoni i oss selv og med omverden."

"Bevisene for at det eksisterer en høyere virkelighet finnes ikke i intellektuelle diskusjoner, men ved at du på den ene eller andre måten kommer i berøring med det hellige."

På en mesterlig måte åpner Eckhart Tolle denne muligheten for oss i "Det er NÅ du lever".

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:31 -0400)

To make the journey into The Power of Now we will need to leave our analytical mind and its false created self, the ego, behind. From the beginning of the first chapter we move rapidly into a significantly higher altitude where one breathes a lighter air, the air of the spiritual. Although the journey is challenging, Eckhart Tolle offers simple language and a question and answer format to guide us. The words themselves are the signposts. The book is a guide to spiritual awakening from a man who has emerged as one of this generation's clearest, most inspiring teachers. Eckhart Tolle is not aligned with any particular religion but does what all the great masters have done: shows that the way, the truth, and the light already exist within each of us.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,613,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible