The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual…

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment (original 1999; edition 2004)

by Eckhart Tolle

Member:mattgoltl
Title:The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
Authors:Eckhart Tolle
Info:New World Library (2004), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:consciousness

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle (1999)

English (73)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (81)
This is the kind of book you either love or hate. First, you have to be in the right place to read it. That is, you have to be in a place in your life where you're seeking meaning beyond the ordinary routines that occupy most of our lives.

I also think that the premise of this book, "live in the now" could use a little more fleshing out. Mr. Tolle is so steeped in this very spiritual way of thinking, it can be hard for him to make the connection to people who live through their minds (and that's 99% of us). In telling us not to think about the past, he's making the assumption that most of our thinking about the past is regretting our failures or reliving our triumphs, and letting them define us and sap energy from the present. And he believes that the majority of our thinking about the future is dreading what may come (but often doesn't) or anticipating some pleasurable event that may not happen or even live up to our expectations. In his view, the past and future do not *exist* at all, except as a construct of our minds. This is heady philosophical stuff.

But it still is valuable to think about the past or future, in terms of planning the future or processing past events to learn from them. And I don't think he gets into that enough. How can you tell legitimate thinking (i.e. using your mind as a tool to make the present moment better) from useless thinking, letting your mind run away with itself with regret and worry?

With those caveats, I still consider this a great book if you're willing to suspend disbelief and irony.

Silvia_rubicula | Oct 8, 2018 |
I used to cause myself quite a lot of grief and Eckhart Tolle was one of several authors who helped me out of that.

...........................

Eckhart Tolle followed consistently is a perfectly valid path. I also think that he can be very austere in his style of teaching, even though the substance of what he says is true.
  smallself | Aug 3, 2018 |

I can't take it. The publishers have a downright creepy devotion to Tolle. The author himself sounds condescending and remarkably full of himself.

I'll try skimming the dead-tree version. That might let me winnow out the platitudes.
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
A profound book that brings the reader to the God-essence within us. It points the way to enlightenment of which the fruits are the joy of Being and an unshakeable peace which only comes from getting access in present. For the power of now is the power of your presence. ( )
  Rheena | Feb 23, 2018 |
This book definitely requires an open mind and is not for everyone. You need to be in the right head space because a lot of what Tolle has to say goes against societal norms and what most people feel is right way of thinking and living. This book will challenge your thinking and make you reconsider how you view many aspects of your life so just be prepared! ( )
  AmberKirbey | Jan 12, 2018 |
You are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold. That is how important you are! - Eckhart Tolle
A beggar had been sitting by the side of a road for over thirty years.
When you say Being, are you talkíng about God? If you are, then why don't you say it?
The word God has become empty of meaning through thousands of years of misuse. I use it sometimes, but I do so sparingly. By misuse I mean that people who have never even glimpsed the realm of the sacred, the infinite vastness behind that word, use it with great conviction, as if they knew what they are talking about. Or they argue against it, as íf they knew what it is that they are denying. This misuse gives rise to absurd beliefs, assertions, and egoic delusions, such as "My or our God is the only true God, and your God is false," or Nietzsche's famous statement "God is dead." The word God has become a closed concept. The moment the word is uttered, a mental image is created, no longer, perhaps, of an old man with a white beard, but still a rnental representation of someone or something outside you, and, yes, almost inevitably a male someone or something. Neither God, nor Being nor any other word can define or explain the ineffable reality behind the word, so the only important question is whether the word is a help or a hindrance in enabling you to experience That toward which it points. Does it point beyond itself to that transcendental reality, or does it lend itself too easily to becoming no more than an idea in your head that you believe in, a mental idol?The word Being explains nothing, but nor does God. Being,however, has the advantage that it is an open concept. It does not reduce the infinite invisible to a finite entity. It is impossible to form a mental image of it. Nobody can claim exclusive possession of Being. It is your very essence, and it is immediately accessible to you as the feeling of your own presence, the realization I am that is prior to I am this or I am that. So it is only a small step from the word Being to the experience of Being.

Om de weg te gaan die wordt beschreven in De kracht van het Nu dien je de indentificatie me je analytische geest en het daardoor gecreërde onechte zelf, het ego, te laten varen. We zijn ons denken niet. We kunnen onszelf van psychische pijn verlossen. Je authentieke kracht wordt pas gemobiliseerd door je over te geven aan het Nu. Hier vinden we vreugde en zijn we in staat ons ware zelf te omarmen.
Daar komen we er ook achter dat we al 'heel' en 'volmaakt' zijn. Velen zullen tijdens het lezen van dit boek vaststellen dat de grootste blokkades om in het Nu te komen onze relaties zijn, dat wil zeggen de manier waarop we in onze relaties staan. Relaties kunnen echter ook een toegang zijn om tot verlichting te komen, mits we ze wijs benutten zodat ze bijdragen aan onze bewustwording en we daardoor in staat zijn meer liefde te geven.
Als we volledig aanwezig kunnen zijn en iedere stap in het Nu kunnen zetten, kunnen we de werkelijkheid ervaren van zaken als 'overgave', 'vergeving' en 'het onnoembare'. Zo kunnen we onszelf openstellen voor de transformerende ervaring van De kracht van het Nu.
Når vi erkjenner at vi skaper vår egen lidelse, kan vi frigjøre oss fra smerte, frykt og nevroser - en gang for alle!
"Når vi innser at det er vårt eget sinn som er ansvarlig for all smerte, med den uopphørlige strømmen av tanker som retter seg mot fortiden samtidig som vi bekymrer oss over fremtiden, vil vi finne vårt sanne jeg," hevder Eckhart Tolle i "Det er NÅ du lever". "Vi er alle opphøyde vesener, og vi må gjenopprette kontakten med vår innerste natur og uttrykke oss gjennom vår helt spesielle guddommelige virkelighet i den fysiske verden - hele tiden. Da først vil vi oppleve fred og harmoni i oss selv og med omverden."

"Bevisene for at det eksisterer en høyere virkelighet finnes ikke i intellektuelle diskusjoner, men ved at du på den ene eller andre måten kommer i berøring med det hellige."

På en mesterlig måte åpner Eckhart Tolle denne muligheten for oss i "Det er NÅ du lever".

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:31 -0400)

To make the journey into The Power of Now we will need to leave our analytical mind and its false created self, the ego, behind. From the beginning of the first chapter we move rapidly into a significantly higher altitude where one breathes a lighter air, the air of the spiritual. Although the journey is challenging, Eckhart Tolle offers simple language and a question and answer format to guide us. The words themselves are the signposts. The book is a guide to spiritual awakening from a man who has emerged as one of this generation's clearest, most inspiring teachers. Eckhart Tolle is not aligned with any particular religion but does what all the great masters have done: shows that the way, the truth, and the light already exist within each of us.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,150,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible