Welcome to the Real World

by Carole Matthews

Pub singer Fern Kendal has the voice of an angel but her talent is wasted. Like millions of others, all she needs is a break, but in the real world she knows that'll never happen. Evan David's exquisite tones have enthralled opera buffs throughout the world. People pander to his every need. But what Evan needs now is a break - from it all.When Fern is picked to be Evan's PA their two worlds collide. Neither one is prepared for the effect they will have on each other. For something happens when they are together - and it's more than just music.… (more)

I have read quite a number of Carole Matthews' book and this book definitely is not one of her best. Basically, the story evolved about Fern and by reading the synopsis, one would have thought that Evan's character is also one of the main characters. However, it was not because, the story focused mainly on Fern and her life. I like Fern, very much so when she decided to reject the reality singing competition for the reason that the producer wanted her to ditch her companion, Carl for the game. It just so to me how humble and good she is for choosing her friend rather than popularity that may change her and her family life.

I was rather dissappointed though with the way Carole's write about the relationship between Fern and Evan which are rather sporadic at times and with such mentions, the relationship between them is rather unrealistic to me. However, i do like the supposedly wedding between Lana and Evan at the end of the book. I really thought that Evans is marrying Lana and was rather dissappointed. ;) Overall, the book is nice and is an easy read with low intensity in terms of conflicts and really suitable to read during summer holidays! ( )
1 vote jolzyn | May 11, 2012 |
Having LOVED The Chocolate Lover's Club, this one was never going to live up to it.. but it was still a great, fun read.

Carole has a knack of writing warm, believeable characters, even if they're rich opera singers! The most loveable, however, is Fern.. who has to deal with a grotty flat, a sick nephew, and hilarious parents!

One of the things I love about these books is the sense of humour that runs through them. Carole proves, however, that she can also write very touching moments.

All in all, a fun, light read when you need to relax. ( )
1 vote michelle_bcf | May 11, 2007 |
This book was okay - just basic chick lit, really, nothing to recommend it beyond that. I felt like I was reading a watered-down Marian Keyes novel sometimes... ( )
  superblondgirl | Apr 12, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,614,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible