Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony

Chopsticks (edition 2012)

by Jessica Anthony, Rodrigo Corral (Creator)

Member:BailsChris
Title:Chopsticks
Authors:Jessica Anthony
Other authors:Rodrigo Corral (Creator)
Info:Razorbill (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:GoodReads Books
Rating:*****

Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony

Gloria Fleming is a gifted pianist. With the guidance of her father, she grows so adept that she plays sold out shows at Carnegie Hall, and even begins to travel around the world to show off her skills. But the death of her mother and the strain of being 16 and world-renowned is starting to take its toll. When Gloria starts to falter, falling in love with the boy next door and losing her ability to play anything but Chopsticks, the reader must decide what is reality, and what is psychosis.

Chopsticks is written entirely in images--the co-authors use visuals of photo albums, text messages, drawings, and letters to reveal a story that can be interpreted in a few different ways. It's a little reminiscent of the I Spy series of books, where readers have to practice observation to search for hidden objects, except here readers are searching for clues to offer insight into Gloria and Francisco's love story. The back blurb suggests that the ending is up for interpretation, but that really depends on how closely you read the book. A careful inspection of the content of Chopsticks reveals a very concrete ending that could easily be misinterpreted by someone who chooses to simply scan the images for aesthetics and surface-level plotlines.

A huge plus for Chopsticks is how music is integrated into the story. Gloria isn't just a pianist. She lives and breathes music, and the authors share this with the readers. We know what symphonies Gloria plays at her events, and can easily search them online and listen to them. Gloria and Francisco send each other mix CDs, and we know what tracks are on them. It's only a few seconds of searching online to build a playlist of those songs to listen to and enjoy. the music also helps to create the characters themselves; the things they are saying to each other in these CDs work alongside the letters and messages they send to each other, the images we see of their rooms and belongings, to turn characters into people.

At first glance, Chopsticks seems like a quick read--at face-value, it's easily completed in about an hour or two. But if you really take your time to listen to the music, to notice dates, times, and patterns, the experience becomes immersive and enthralling. I would suggest this book to fans of YA, John Green, and stories about ill-fated lovers. ( )
  Rituleen | May 22, 2016 |
My expectations were not very high when I picked this up to pass some time in my local library. But, what a wonderful mood these images evoked. And, what a unique little love story. I became surprisingly attached to the characters. This is rare for me in a graphic novel.I recommend this to anyone who enjoys the atmosphere of a story as much as the words. ( )
  daniellamaria8 | Apr 9, 2016 |
Such a different style of reading, if you call it reading? Haha, it's essentially a photograph book that tells a story and makes you question the ending. Unusual, weird, intriguing... ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
[Monday, March 26, 2012] I LOVE graphic novels, so basically I got this book because it's in the form of real photos and few words. In any case, this novel made me go to YouTube to check Chopsticks out and made me want to order Pablo Neruda's poetry book, so I can read his work. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

In a love story told in photographs and drawings, Glory, a brilliant piano prodigy, is drawn to Frank, an artistic new boy, and the farther she falls, the deeper she spirals into madness until the only song she is able to play is "Chopsticks."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,759,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible