The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp…

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats (original 2002; edition 2012)

by Jan-Philipp Sendker

7416312,575 (4)69
Member:jfaltz
Title:The Art of Hearing Heartbeats
Authors:Jan-Philipp Sendker
Info:Other Press (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:kindle
Rating:***1/2

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker (2002)

Recently added bygeirsan, arena35, DL_Orton, Shannon29, ubertar, amosley, private library, bookwormteri

English (58)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (62)
In the end, there could not have been a different ending. It may not have seemed happy, but, really, the two lovers were willing to live a life separated because they had found each other? A bit far-fetched, but still a world I would be willing to live in. ( )
  sraelling | May 21, 2015 |
Beautifully written - with a fluidity of language that was intoxicating. I would not put this down once I started, so much so that last night I stayed up till around 1:30 am to finish the book. I would definitely recommend this. ( )
  CeliciaS | Mar 15, 2015 |
Bored throughout. Considered just quitting over and over again but such great reviews had me second guessing myself and thinking something had to improve. For me, it didn't. I didn't care at all about any of the characters....they were so underdeveloped. They were the sum total of their special talent, be it telling a story, magical hearing, or exquisite grace. I can appreciate the beauty and subtlety of the magic but that's it. Beyond that it just fell completely flat for me. ( )
  tnociti | Mar 12, 2015 |
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker; (5*)

I just read and quite fell in love with The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker. I was more than ready for something like this.
The daughter of New York parents (a Burmese father and an American mother) abruptly decides to leave her law practice and return to her father’s birthplace. Her attorney father disappeared of his own volition four years previously and items her mother recently sent her make her eager to search for him.
In making this journey she meets with her unknown half-brother and goes in search of their father, learning about her ancestors (and his) along the way. She learns that her father had an entirely separate and lovely life before emigrating to America.
I found this book to splendid in all areas and beautifully written. The end of the story left my mind open to what the young woman will do with the remainder of her life. I found that to be a very satisfying end to this book.
I loved the writing and am eager to see if I can find other novels by this author and perhaps find information on the author, himself. Highly recommended. ( )
4 vote rainpebble | Jan 31, 2015 |
The plot line of this story is covered in many of the other reviews. I read this for our book group and thought it was predictable and over written in some places. ( )
  tangledthread | Jan 9, 2015 |
"The heart of this sentimental novel is the romance between the teenagers Tin Win and Mi Mi in pre-World War II Burma. Recommended for readers who enjoy sweetly tragic romances."
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Pamela Mann (Nov 1, 2011)

Jan-Philipp Sendkerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wiliarty, KevinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

For Anna, Florentine, and Jonathon
And in memory of Vivian Wong (1969-2000)
The old man's eyes struck me first.

When Julia Win's father disappears one morning without a trace, the day after her graduation from law school, her family is left unsettled and confused. It's not until a few years later that her mother finds a piece of the puzzle - an unmailed love letter to a Burmese woman named Mi Mi.

Intent on solving the mystery and coming to terms with her father's past, Julia puts her career and her life on hold to travel to the village where Mi Mi once lived. Her journey takes her to the small mountain village of Kalaw where she is approached by a man who claims to know her father, and who seems to have an uncanny knowledge of Julia herself. Intrigued, she returns to meet him every afternoon and listen to his incredible tales of her father's youth - of his childhood blindness, his education at a monastery, and, most of all, about his passionate relationship with a local girl.

At first Julia is unwilling to believe that the romantic boy in this poignant story has anything to do with her reticent father, but soon she can no longer withstand the almost mystical invoking of mysterious past events, entwined as they are with the influence of the stars and with a love larger than life.

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats is a magical and uplifting tale of hardship and resilience, and the unyielding power of love to move mountains.

When a successful New York lawyer suddenly disappears without a trace, neither his wife nor his daughter Julia has any idea where he might be--until they find a love letter he wrote many years ago to a Burmese woman they have never heard of. Intent on solving the mystery and coming to terms with her father's past, Julia decides to travel to the village where the woman lived. There she uncovers a tale of unimaginable hardship, resilience, and passion that will reaffirm the listener's belief in the power of love to move mountains.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,853,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible