The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp…

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats (original 2002; edition 2012)

by Jan-Philipp Sendker

Member:jfaltz
Title:The Art of Hearing Heartbeats
Authors:Jan-Philipp Sendker
Info:Other Press (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:kindle
Rating:***1/2

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker (2002)

English (70)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (74)
recommended by page-a-day calendar
Interesting to read mixed reviews from GR members.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats – Jan-Phillip Sendker
Audio performance by Cassandra Campbell
4 stars

Although this book was described as a poignant love story, initially it seemed to be primarily concerned with loss and abandonment.
It begins with Julia, a young American lawyer, severely distressed by the unexplained disappearance of her Burmese father. When an old love letter sends Julia to Burma, she meets U Ba. U Ba has a story to tell. It is a love story. It begins in a small, poor, Burmese village before World War 2. It is also a story in which themes of loss, abandonment and endurance are repeated with the introduction of each new character. The story telling is lyrical; like a fable or fairy tale. I felt completely drawn into the exotic setting.

The love story is beautiful and heart-rending. I was very touched by the love between the young, blind, Tin Win and crippled Mi Mi. To my Western mind, it was unnecessarily tragic. This may be the whole point of the story. Julia’s Western mind set causes her to have difficulty with a Burmese perspective. She does discover her father’s secret history, and comes to accept that he chose to abandon his American family. (I’m not quite so forgiving. The narrative never provided me with a sufficient explanation for so many years of secrecy. But, I did like the ending.)
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Read this one for Book Club through a recommendation by Blue Willow Books in Houston. Fantastic story with vivid imagery that would be spoiled if this were to be made into a movie. Loved the use of the "Prince and the Crocodile Tale" in the story. I highly recommend this book for book groups. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
My first book by this author and I don't think I have ever read one that was translated from a different language. I was pleasantly surprised by this book.

You meet Julia who is looking for her father. He just left one day and never returned. This is a very moving story about love and how it survives through so many different changes. There are so many different facets in this book I cannot begin to delve into all of them. I am glad my book club read this book this month. ( )
  crazy4reading | Feb 15, 2016 |
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philip Sendker

★★★★

This is one of those books that after finishing it, I just had to sit back and let it soak in for a bit. It was one of those books that I couldn’t put down and read veraciously but at the same time tried to slow down just so it wouldn’t end.

Translated from German, The Art of Hearing Heartbeats is a beautiful love story, transcending time and distance. It is a superbly written story. The descriptions bring everything to life and the characters are so vivid. I had trouble putting down this book; I needed to know what would happen to Tin Win and Mi Mi next. It isn’t always the most fast-paced but it driven at the perfect speed for what one would expect. Just wonderful. I am so glad I had the chance to experience this love story. I look forward to the further books by Sendker, if they are even translated into English (or I need to brush up on my German).
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
"The heart of this sentimental novel is the romance between the teenagers Tin Win and Mi Mi in pre-World War II Burma. Recommended for readers who enjoy sweetly tragic romances."
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Pamela Mann (Nov 1, 2011)

Jan-Philipp Sendkerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wiliarty, KevinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

For Anna, Florentine, and Jonathon
And in memory of Vivian Wong (1969-2000)
The old man's eyes struck me first.

When Julia Win's father disappears one morning without a trace, the day after her graduation from law school, her family is left unsettled and confused. It's not until a few years later that her mother finds a piece of the puzzle - an unmailed love letter to a Burmese woman named Mi Mi.

Intent on solving the mystery and coming to terms with her father's past, Julia puts her career and her life on hold to travel to the village where Mi Mi once lived. Her journey takes her to the small mountain village of Kalaw where she is approached by a man who claims to know her father, and who seems to have an uncanny knowledge of Julia herself. Intrigued, she returns to meet him every afternoon and listen to his incredible tales of her father's youth - of his childhood blindness, his education at a monastery, and, most of all, about his passionate relationship with a local girl.

At first Julia is unwilling to believe that the romantic boy in this poignant story has anything to do with her reticent father, but soon she can no longer withstand the almost mystical invoking of mysterious past events, entwined as they are with the influence of the stars and with a love larger than life.

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats is a magical and uplifting tale of hardship and resilience, and the unyielding power of love to move mountains.

When a successful New York lawyer suddenly disappears without a trace, neither his wife nor his daughter Julia has any idea where he might be--until they find a love letter he wrote many years ago to a Burmese woman they have never heard of. Intent on solving the mystery and coming to terms with her father's past, Julia decides to travel to the village where the woman lived. There she uncovers a tale of unimaginable hardship, resilience, and passion that will reaffirm the listener's belief in the power of love to move mountains.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,755,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible