The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp…

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats (original 2002; edition 2012)

by Jan-Philipp Sendker

Member:jfaltz
Title:The Art of Hearing Heartbeats
Authors:Jan-Philipp Sendker
Info:Other Press (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:kindle
Rating:***1/2

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker (2002)

Recently added bythukpa, CydMelcher, twileteyes, Kathiroo, private library, AldrichLibrary, Ellemir, hoegbottom

English (67)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (71)
3 1/2 stars. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
A beautifully written tale about the healing magic and enduring quality of true love between kindred spirits. ( )
  andreasaria | Jan 24, 2016 |
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philip Sendker

★★★★

This is one of those books that after finishing it, I just had to sit back and let it soak in for a bit. It was one of those books that I couldn’t put down and read veraciously but at the same time tried to slow down just so it wouldn’t end.

Translated from German, The Art of Hearing Heartbeats is a beautiful love story, transcending time and distance. It is a superbly written story. The descriptions bring everything to life and the characters are so vivid. I had trouble putting down this book; I needed to know what would happen to Tin Win and Mi Mi next. It isn’t always the most fast-paced but it driven at the perfect speed for what one would expect. Just wonderful. I am so glad I had the chance to experience this love story. I look forward to the further books by Sendker, if they are even translated into English (or I need to brush up on my German).
  UberButter | Jan 16, 2016 |
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philip Sendker

★★★★

UberButter | Jan 16, 2016 |
A prominent Wall-street lawyer disappears shortly after his youngest daughter graduates from law school. Ostensibly headed for a business appointment in Boston, he leaves his New York City apartment never to be heard from again. Four years later his daughter, Julia, discovers a few personal papers, including a faded letter addressed to a woman in a small village in Burma, her father’s birthplace. First puzzled and then infuriated by her mother’s seeming indifference, Julia leaves her job, puts her life on hold, and heads to Burma to find her father. What she finds is a story of a love that endured decades of separation.

I really wanted to love this book, and feel so disappointed, although I did like it. The central love story is tender, touching and endearing. The story of Tin Win and Mi Mi and how they find one another and overcome each other’s handicaps to be fully realized individuals is just so life-affirming and uplifting.

However, it’s nested within a story of a daughter’s search for her father, and it becomes obvious that she knew little or nothing about him. Her mother is barely mentioned and comes off as an unfeeling shrew. We learn little about Julia, herself, other than that she is determined to find her father and learn his story. I never felt any connection to Julia. Although I did understand her perplexed response to Burmese culture; it was the antithesis of the hard-driving, career-minded, success-seeking American way of life she knew.

I wondered whether part of the issue might be the translation, but I doubt that’s it. I had the opportunity to meet the author during his very limited book tour. He commented that when he read the translation he was surprised at some of the passages – they seemed so much better than what he remembered writing in his native German. More likely, the disconnect has to do with a difference in style. Whatever the reason, for me the book just fell short of expectations. I liked it, I didn’t love it.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
"The heart of this sentimental novel is the romance between the teenagers Tin Win and Mi Mi in pre-World War II Burma. Recommended for readers who enjoy sweetly tragic romances."
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Pamela Mann (Nov 1, 2011)

Jan-Philipp Sendkerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wiliarty, KevinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

For Anna, Florentine, and Jonathon
And in memory of Vivian Wong (1969-2000)
The old man's eyes struck me first.

When Julia Win's father disappears one morning without a trace, the day after her graduation from law school, her family is left unsettled and confused. It's not until a few years later that her mother finds a piece of the puzzle - an unmailed love letter to a Burmese woman named Mi Mi.

Intent on solving the mystery and coming to terms with her father's past, Julia puts her career and her life on hold to travel to the village where Mi Mi once lived. Her journey takes her to the small mountain village of Kalaw where she is approached by a man who claims to know her father, and who seems to have an uncanny knowledge of Julia herself. Intrigued, she returns to meet him every afternoon and listen to his incredible tales of her father's youth - of his childhood blindness, his education at a monastery, and, most of all, about his passionate relationship with a local girl.

At first Julia is unwilling to believe that the romantic boy in this poignant story has anything to do with her reticent father, but soon she can no longer withstand the almost mystical invoking of mysterious past events, entwined as they are with the influence of the stars and with a love larger than life.

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats is a magical and uplifting tale of hardship and resilience, and the unyielding power of love to move mountains.

When a successful New York lawyer suddenly disappears without a trace, neither his wife nor his daughter Julia has any idea where he might be--until they find a love letter he wrote many years ago to a Burmese woman they have never heard of. Intent on solving the mystery and coming to terms with her father's past, Julia decides to travel to the village where the woman lived. There she uncovers a tale of unimaginable hardship, resilience, and passion that will reaffirm the listener's belief in the power of love to move mountains.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,051,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible