The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp…

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats (edition 2012)

by Jan-Philipp Sendker

Member:jfaltz
Title:The Art of Hearing Heartbeats
Authors:Jan-Philipp Sendker
Info:
Collections:kindle
Rating:***1/2

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker

English (51)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (55)
This is a beautifully written story a Burmese man living a successful life in America who, late in life, abruptly leaves his wife and daughter, to seek his lost love in his home country. The language is really striking, for which some credit must go to the translator, as the original was written in German. I'm in a small minority of readers who was not enthralled, partly because I'm so distracted by life's stresses right now that it is hard to be enthralled by anthing, and partly because it's a tale of undying love and I have a hard time suspending my disbelief about that. ( )
  CasualFriday | Oct 6, 2014 |
A sweet, gentle story but told in a vague, wandering style of writing. ( )
  bookappeal | Aug 31, 2014 |
This books is just absolutely beautiful. Tin Win and Mi Mis's story is tragic, wonderful, unexpected and just pure love in my opinion. This book makes me wonder if what i feel is really love after all. The end is a little unexpected but i just have to say. WONDERFUL. ( )
  angie.arciba | Aug 9, 2014 |
Julie Win's Burmese father disappears the day after her graduations from law school. When her mother finds a love letter to a Burmese woman named MiMi, Julie decides to go in search of her father and MiMi. She learns that MiMi is crippled, but that she has acted as the eyes for Tin Win, Julie's father. Tin Win can read people, property and animals by sound, including heartbeats. The love MiMi and Tin Win share is very special. Tin Win regains his sight when he is sent to Rangoon to live with his uncle--it was cateracts and once removed all is well. Then the uncle sends Tin Win to America where he marries and raises Julie and her brother. He writes MiMi until he marries and she writes him. The uncle in Rangoon never forwards the letters either way but he saves them--the letter Julie's mother finds.

Fifty years later Tin Win returns to Burma and to MiMi's home. Here he and MiMi lie together and die. They were both cremated together.

The story is a beautiful love story--very touching. ( )
  MarkMeg | Jul 26, 2014 |
A love story: the likes of which make the blind see and the lame walk -- read this book and you'll see how almost literal this is. Set in Burma, the plot is complicated but at the same time, simple. Complicated because human relationships often are, but simple because that's what love, unsullied by ego, is. If I were to accord a musical tempo to this tale, it would be 'moderato', tempered by crescendos of emotions, brilliantly crafted to take the reader to ever higher levels of heart-swell. Perhaps it drew me in so completely, perhaps I was so involved that I didn't 'see it (the ending) coming', that I was caught off-guard by the the 'revelation' which left me breathless and teary-eyed. A highly-recommended 5-star read from me. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
"The heart of this sentimental novel is the romance between the teenagers Tin Win and Mi Mi in pre-World War II Burma. Recommended for readers who enjoy sweetly tragic romances."
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Pamela Mann (Nov 1, 2011)

Jan-Philipp Sendkerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wiliarty, KevinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

When a successful New York lawyer suddenly disappears without a trace, neither his wife nor his daughter Julia has any idea where he might be--until they find a love letter he wrote many years ago to a Burmese woman they have never heard of. Intent on solving the mystery and coming to terms with her father's past, Julia decides to travel to the village where the woman lived. There she uncovers a tale of unimaginable hardship, resilience, and passion that will reaffirm the listener's belief in the power of love to move mountains.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,419,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible