The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp…

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats (edition 2012)

by Jan-Philipp Sendker

Member:jfaltz
Title:The Art of Hearing Heartbeats
Authors:Jan-Philipp Sendker
Info:Other Press (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:kindle
Rating:***1/2

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker

English (57)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (61)
Beautifully written - with a fluidity of language that was intoxicating. I would not put this down once I started, so much so that last night I stayed up till around 1:30 am to finish the book. I would definitely recommend this. ( )
  CeliciaS | Mar 15, 2015 |
Bored throughout. Considered just quitting over and over again but such great reviews had me second guessing myself and thinking something had to improve. For me, it didn't. I didn't care at all about any of the characters....they were so underdeveloped. They were the sum total of their special talent, be it telling a story, magical hearing, or exquisite grace. I can appreciate the beauty and subtlety of the magic but that's it. Beyond that it just fell completely flat for me. ( )
  tnociti | Mar 12, 2015 |
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker; (5*)

I just read and quite fell in love with The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker. I was more than ready for something like this.
The daughter of New York parents (a Burmese father and an American mother) abruptly decides to leave her law practice and return to her father’s birthplace. Her attorney father disappeared of his own volition four years previously and items her mother recently sent her make her eager to search for him.
In making this journey she meets with her unknown half-brother and goes in search of their father, learning about her ancestors (and his) along the way. She learns that her father had an entirely separate and lovely life before emigrating to America.
I found this book to splendid in all areas and beautifully written. The end of the story left my mind open to what the young woman will do with the remainder of her life. I found that to be a very satisfying end to this book.
I loved the writing and am eager to see if I can find other novels by this author and perhaps find information on the author, himself. Highly recommended. ( )
4 vote rainpebble | Jan 31, 2015 |
The plot line of this story is covered in many of the other reviews. I read this for our book group and thought it was predictable and over written in some places. ( )
  tangledthread | Jan 9, 2015 |
This was an especially well written novel, very poetic even. With that said, I am more pragmatic than romantic so it is not one of my favorites. I read it for my book club and am glad that I did. I am sure it is a very popular read for many people. So my rating is for the writing and voice, not the story.
And now I will select a nonfiction book, because true life is far more fascinating than fiction. At least I think so. ( )
  readyreader | Jan 6, 2015 |
"The heart of this sentimental novel is the romance between the teenagers Tin Win and Mi Mi in pre-World War II Burma. Recommended for readers who enjoy sweetly tragic romances."
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Pamela Mann (Nov 1, 2011)

Jan-Philipp Sendkerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wiliarty, KevinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

When a successful New York lawyer suddenly disappears without a trace, neither his wife nor his daughter Julia has any idea where he might be--until they find a love letter he wrote many years ago to a Burmese woman they have never heard of. Intent on solving the mystery and coming to terms with her father's past, Julia decides to travel to the village where the woman lived. There she uncovers a tale of unimaginable hardship, resilience, and passion that will reaffirm the listener's belief in the power of love to move mountains.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,174,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible