The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp…

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats (edition 2012)

by Jan-Philipp Sendker

Member:jfaltz
Title:The Art of Hearing Heartbeats
Authors:Jan-Philipp Sendker
Info:Other Press (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:kindle
Rating:***1/2

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker

English (54)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (58)
The plot line of this story is covered in many of the other reviews. I read this for our book group and thought it was predictable and over written in some places. ( )
  tangledthread | Jan 9, 2015 |
This was an especially well written novel, very poetic even. With that said, I am more pragmatic than romantic so it is not one of my favorites. I read it for my book club and am glad that I did. I am sure it is a very popular read for many people. So my rating is for the writing and voice, not the story.
And now I will select a nonfiction book, because true life is far more fascinating than fiction. At least I think so. ( )
  readyreader | Jan 6, 2015 |
It's not that it was bad...I just could NOT get into it. I found myself not wanting to really pick it up...and then when I did, I didn't really mind putting it back down. It could be that I just tried reading it at a bad time - this is a book club book, so it's a work lunch time read and things are rather stressful at work lately. So it could be that no matter what the book, I wouldn't have been able to concentrate well. Maybe I'll try again at some later date. ( )
  carebear10712 | Dec 31, 2014 |
When I was first teaching I used to spend quite a bit of time helping my 4th graders learn to listen. We would put our heads down on the desk and I would set a timer and they would remain perfectly (as perfectly as a 4th grader can) still and simply listen. When the timer went off we would talk about what they heard - making a list on the board. At first it was really hard for them to hear more than the hallway noise and feet shuffling - but they did get better.

That was a long time ago. As I read this book I kept remembering that practice - pausing and listening.

This is a love story and a societal critique carefully woven together in an engaging, fictional tale.

Julia is searching for her father in a land of unknowns.
Her father simply disappeared one day from his successful New York City job and his settled family.

Simply vanished.

Julia has decided to try to track him down. She has only a name - Mi Mi and Burma - his homeland.

So - that sounds as fantastical as it could possibly be.
Traveling completely around the world to a dingy tea room in an bustling town to hear the story of her father.

How! How? How?!

And that is this story.

Built on impossible odds in improbable situations a love that knew no ends was created. And Julia alone was there to hear the story.

Her father, Tin Win was blind as a child - what? - and fell deeply and completely in love with Mi Mi - wh0? - a beautiful girl with deformed feet.

As a pair they explored the town and countryside where they lived - Tin Win carrying Mi Mi on his back and Mi Mi navigating through the Burmese terrain. How??? Partly because Tin Win had learned to listen at a depth unheard of. He had learned to simply be and hear the whosh of a bird's heartbeat inside an egg, the slish of a snake under a log and Mi Mi became his eyes to prove he truly heard.

Then all changed when Tin Win was moved to the city for surgery and eventually to the States to work. His hearing became unnecessary, he could see.

And his life moved on into the western world.

But - he was always listening for Mi Mi's heartbeat.

I know that because...well I don't want to say anything. But he was listening!

This is an engaging tale, interesting and easy to read.

But, to really 'get' it takes some quiet and some focus.

I think that would have made Tin Win happy! ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
This is a beautifully written story a Burmese man living a successful life in America who, late in life, abruptly leaves his wife and daughter, to seek his lost love in his home country. The language is really striking, for which some credit must go to the translator, as the original was written in German. I'm in a small minority of readers who was not enthralled, partly because I'm so distracted by life's stresses right now that it is hard to be enthralled by anthing, and partly because it's a tale of undying love and I have a hard time suspending my disbelief about that. ( )
  CasualFriday | Oct 6, 2014 |
"The heart of this sentimental novel is the romance between the teenagers Tin Win and Mi Mi in pre-World War II Burma. Recommended for readers who enjoy sweetly tragic romances."
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Pamela Mann (Nov 1, 2011)

Jan-Philipp Sendkerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wiliarty, KevinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

When a successful New York lawyer suddenly disappears without a trace, neither his wife nor his daughter Julia has any idea where he might be--until they find a love letter he wrote many years ago to a Burmese woman they have never heard of. Intent on solving the mystery and coming to terms with her father's past, Julia decides to travel to the village where the woman lived. There she uncovers a tale of unimaginable hardship, resilience, and passion that will reaffirm the listener's belief in the power of love to move mountains.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,145,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible