A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard

A Stolen Life: A Memoir (2011)

by Jaycee Dugard

Recently added bystratlib, aseipp1, Reese52498, bjoelle5, WildPanda, April44, private library, Koren56, uiflibrary

“A Stolen Life” was by far one of the best books I’ve ever read. I hated this book for a few reasons, but the reasons I liked it outweighed the bad. First, I liked that Jaycee Dugard, the victim in this story, wrote it. Over the years of her abduction she began to write a journal and she decided to include some of those pieces in the book. This made the book more personal and gave the reader a better representation of what she really went through. Second, I like that the book had grammatical errors. Typically if you find an error in a book you would be a little disappointed, but again this made it more personal. This book was 100% nonfiction, and Jaycee obviously is not a professional writer, so it was nice to see that the book wasn’t edited and changed a hundred different times. I loved her honesty in this book, but sometimes I made me so disgusted to read what she had to go through, and for how many years on end she endured such circumstances. I would say if there were one specific “main idea” in this book, it would be never give up. Jaycee fought a very tough, cruel fight for 18 years, and never lost her hope of being rescued, so staying positive and never giving up goes a long, long way. ( )
  aseipp1 | Feb 11, 2016 |
This was a good book. I give Kudos to Jaycee for having the courage to write it. Something tells me that the book is incomplete because there may be details that her memory has repressed and may come out in years to come. And this is perfectly OK.

I am amazed at the courage she had shown during her captivity. I feel so bad for her in that indeed, her life was stolen. I am curious as to why Phillip kidnapped her for such a long time. True, his sick and twisted and demented mind had an obsession to have sex with Jaycee, but what confused me was that after the sex was kind of over because of the myriad of reasons, such as her being older, them having two children and not being able to afford it. If he truly was this child molester-sex offender, why didn't he just let her go and kidnapp another young girl?

It is a very interesting read in that it left me with many more questions that I am sure Jaycee couldn't answer and probably didn't want to answer. More questions on the psychology of the whole thing. I would have liked to have seen notes from her therapist and from the police as well. It would have completed a bit more of the picture, I think.

However, again, I enjoyed reading this book as it brought awareness of some of the sick individuals we live with. I would recommend this book to anyone just for the fact that you come away with appreciating what you have. You think you have it rough now? Get in a time machine and trade with Jaycee...I am sure she would not mind at all... ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
It's a tragic story, but it was good to hear that Jaycee and her girls are moving on with their lives, rather than focusing on the past. I highly recommend the audiobook version, read by the author. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
I'm so on the fence about what to say about this book. It's definitely NOT the kind of thing I normally read.

For sure, it's inspiring and the girl is courageous and thoughtful. I imagine the writing of this was a helpful process for her because she does seem pretty good at the self care.

It's probably also extremely useful for anyone who has gone through a similar experience, especially one where survival dictates that they form a bond of sorts with their abuser.

For me, though, reading this felt very voyeuristic and intrusive.

thejaycfoundation.org ( )
  killerX | Jan 8, 2016 |
An amazing book. Jaycee tells the story from the day of her kidnapping up to her struggle to adjusting to real life, interspersed with memories of her childhood. It's told very matter-of-factly, not necessarily without emotion, but without pity. Jaycee doesn't want to be seen as a victim or a hero - she's just sharing her story because it's all she knew, and all she could do was live each day as it came to her. Still, it's very inspiring, especially when she shares optimistic journal entries she wrote when she was thirteen, then ones she wrote when she and her daughters were much older. It's a fascinating look at how someone can be trapped for so long, then exposed to the real world and not want to be in it. Jaycee says that she never wanted to go back to her captivity, but with the media in her face, she pretty much felt like she was still being kept from having her own life. Very sobering book. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
There are novelists, most notably Emma Donoghue in “Room,” who have tried to imagine what a plight like this is like. There are tabloids that have capitalized on its obscenity. And there are far too many survivors of ghastly crimes who have told their stories in lurid terms laced with self-pity. But Ms. Dugard is different. Her book is brave, dignified and painstakingly honest, even when it comes to the banal particulars of how she stayed afloat. The best parts of “A Stolen Life” are good enough to outweigh the hand-written journal entries about Eclipse, her beloved kitten. Yes, Eclipse is the name Ms. Dugard innocently chose.

Dedicated to my daughters. For the times we've cried together, laughed together. And all the times in between.
Author's Note: This book might be confusing to some.
Ce livre en déconcertera peut-être certains.
Introduction: Let's get one thing straight! My name is Jaycee Lee Dugard.

The memoir of Jaycee Dugard who was kidnapped on June 10, 1991, when she was 11 years old, and was missing for over 18 years before her reappearance in 2009.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible