A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard

A Stolen Life: A Memoir (2011)

by Jaycee Dugard

A true story of imaginable 18year journey. ( )
  Darleen04 | Jun 28, 2015 |
At the age of eleven Jaycee Lee Dugard was abducted on her way to the bus stop to catch the school bus. She was forced to live in the back garden of her captors who raped, manipulated and forced her to give up her name for 18 years. This is Jaycee's story of her anguish, pain and suffering that she had to live until her eventual release at the age of 29.

I don't know what I was expecting when I read this book. I already knew a bit about Jaycee and her life during those 18 years from the TV and the googling I did after seeing her on the news. The $20 million she was awarded as compensation, by the State of California, for the multiple times she was failed is the least she and her daughters deserved. Garrido had multiple parole officers during her imprisonment and none of them noticed anything untoward going on.

The book was slightly disjointed, and, yes, at times repetitive, but considering her formal education ended at fifth grade, and what she was forced to endure - which lets face it would be confusing for a lot of us - is totally understandable. No-one, especially an eleven year old who has yet to develope their character, should have had to endure what she did, the frequent rapes, the manipulation, the isolation and on top of that two pregnancies. It would have been nice to have known a bit more about the life she lead: how she raised her kids? (yes, I know she was their "sister" during that time), how they managed to why she didn't reach out for help during outings, the Internet or when his parole officer visited? How they managed to remain so well adjusted? How she managed to maintain a sense of sanity during those years? Yes, there are deep-seated psychological answers for the questions I want to know, but it would have been nice to have heard it from her.

It's hard to even begin to imagine what she suffered at the hands of the Garridos although she claims they were mainly pleasant that was just their way of manipulating her. She suffered immense Stockholm Syndrome and only began to see her captors for what they were come her release and her eventual therapy.

I feel she might have wrote her story a bit too soon after her release. It seems she has yet fully adjusted to her new found freedom. I could be undermining her strength but I, personally, think she should have waited a few years and just let everything settle and for her to adjust more. ( )
  Chicalicious | Jun 3, 2015 |
A very in-depth look into Jaycee Dugard's life after she was kidnapped. One of the greatest tragedies is the fact that she was seen on more than one occasion by law enforcement yet no one questioned who she was or why she was in the home of a sex offender. And while there is no question Philip Garrido is mentally ill there is no excuse for his wife Nancy. These people should be executed for what they did to this child. This is a story that touches the heart but also enflames the reader. Somehow we need to find a way to keep our children safe from predators like the Garridos. If there is a message in this story it seems to be that we are ALL responsible for the children. If it doesn't look right, if you think you are seeing a child in danger take action. Better to be wrong and embarassed that look the other way and leave a child to suffer. ( )
  NewLiz | May 26, 2015 |
This book is very spooky and can easily impress someone because has some very real and explicit scenes.
I still don't believe that a human being was able to do this to another human being, especially the second being a little innocent girl.
This book has opened my eyes for some situations and has taught me to never trust a stranger.
I hope that some countries governments read this book so they can see why they have to promote law enfforcement eficiency and why they have to closely wath anyone with priors to major crimes (without deleting their records). ( )
  anaesteves | May 21, 2015 |
  anaesteves | May 21, 2015 |
There are novelists, most notably Emma Donoghue in “Room,” who have tried to imagine what a plight like this is like. There are tabloids that have capitalized on its obscenity. And there are far too many survivors of ghastly crimes who have told their stories in lurid terms laced with self-pity. But Ms. Dugard is different. Her book is brave, dignified and painstakingly honest, even when it comes to the banal particulars of how she stayed afloat. The best parts of “A Stolen Life” are good enough to outweigh the hand-written journal entries about Eclipse, her beloved kitten. Yes, Eclipse is the name Ms. Dugard innocently chose.

Dedicated to my daughters. For the times we've cried together, laughed together. And all the times in between.
Author's Note: This book might be confusing to some.
Ce livre en déconcertera peut-être certains.
Introduction: Let's get one thing straight! My name is Jaycee Lee Dugard.

The memoir of Jaycee Dugard who was kidnapped on June 10, 1991, when she was 11 years old, and was missing for over 18 years before her reappearance in 2009.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,907,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible