A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard

A Stolen Life: A Memoir (2011)

by Jaycee Dugard

Jennifer Ikeda
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Not sure if I should give this a 2 or a 3. I agree with another reviewer who states that this book should have been written a few years later. Now it feels more like a therapy session for Jaycee.
I liked the beginning and of course I understand that she does not know exactly when things happened, and yes the book jumped around in a lot of places and I also get that. It is hard to recall every thing that happened in your past. Especially when every day is the same. What I don't get is that The chapters where she wrote about her being free, are also very jumpy. For instance the story about the horses and the therapy sessions.
Now that I think about it, There must have been a lot of pressure from the press because if we are honest, we all wanted to know what happened to her. So it is understandable she wrote this book so soon. Ha, my review is also jumpy. I really feel for Jaycee Dugard and I hope she can live her life somewhere peacefully.

By the way, Am I the only one who wondered if creep Garrido did not touch her daughters? Yes I understand they were his daughters but that does not say much in this day and age. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
A Stolen Life was an interesting read. I knew very little about her life before I began. It sent me on a roller coaster of emotions - from anger to joy to frustration and back again. I tried to put myself in her position, but it was impossible. The total control that Phillip had on her was difficult to imagine, but I truly believe that that is what he did to her. It definitely showed how much she missed including learning to be an adult. The middle of the book (during the excerpts from her diary) bogged down for me, but I pushed my way through that. In the end, I am glad that I did. Once done, I found myself wanting to find out more - from different perspectives. ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 28, 2016 |
Jaycee was kidnapped when she was eleven years old and held captive for eighteen years. When you read about what goes on during those years you'll be disgusted, you'll be angry, and you will be sad. When she becomes free, you will be extremely happy. I wish her nothing but the best. ( )
  jenn88 | Feb 14, 2016 |
“A Stolen Life” was by far one of the best books I’ve ever read. I hated this book for a few reasons, but the reasons I liked it outweighed the bad. First, I liked that Jaycee Dugard, the victim in this story, wrote it. Over the years of her abduction she began to write a journal and she decided to include some of those pieces in the book. This made the book more personal and gave the reader a better representation of what she really went through. Second, I like that the book had grammatical errors. Typically if you find an error in a book you would be a little disappointed, but again this made it more personal. This book was 100% nonfiction, and Jaycee obviously is not a professional writer, so it was nice to see that the book wasn’t edited and changed a hundred different times. I loved her honesty in this book, but sometimes I made me so disgusted to read what she had to go through, and for how many years on end she endured such circumstances. I would say if there were one specific “main idea” in this book, it would be never give up. Jaycee fought a very tough, cruel fight for 18 years, and never lost her hope of being rescued, so staying positive and never giving up goes a long, long way. ( )
  aseipp1 | Feb 11, 2016 |
There are novelists, most notably Emma Donoghue in “Room,” who have tried to imagine what a plight like this is like. There are tabloids that have capitalized on its obscenity. And there are far too many survivors of ghastly crimes who have told their stories in lurid terms laced with self-pity. But Ms. Dugard is different. Her book is brave, dignified and painstakingly honest, even when it comes to the banal particulars of how she stayed afloat. The best parts of “A Stolen Life” are good enough to outweigh the hand-written journal entries about Eclipse, her beloved kitten. Yes, Eclipse is the name Ms. Dugard innocently chose.

Jaycee Dugardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franz, ClaudiaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my daughters. For the times we've cried together, laughed together. And all the times in between.
Author's Note: This book might be confusing to some.
Ce livre en déconcertera peut-être certains.
Introduction: Let's get one thing straight! My name is Jaycee Lee Dugard.

The memoir of Jaycee Dugard who was kidnapped on June 10, 1991, when she was 11 years old, and was missing for over 18 years before her reappearance in 2009.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible