A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard

A Stolen Life: A Memoir (2011)

by Jaycee Dugard

2011 (18) 2012 (7) abduction (28) abuse (13) adult (5) American (3) autobiography (20) biography (35) California (3) child abduction (4) child abuse (14) crime (19) ebook (16) family (4) Jaycee Dugard (5) kidnapping (38) Kindle (9) memoir (92) non-fiction (70) own (3) pedophilia (3) rape (12) read (10) read in 2011 (8) read in 2012 (5) sexual abuse (22) survival (5) to-read (26) true crime (29) unread (4)

I feel like a ghoul for even reading this, but I can't help but be fascinated and horrified by what happened.

Jaycee was kidnapped from her home at the age of eleven and is held for twentysome(?) years. Having two children in captivity. This is her story.

Horrifying. ( )
  bookwormteri | Jun 25, 2014 |
Jaycee Dugard is one of my sheroes. She exhibits an inner strength and courage that is not found in many people, of any age, and she had to develop that strength when she was so heartbreakingly young.

Everyone knows the basic details of Jaycee's story - she was kidnapped by a convicted rapist and his wife, brutally raped and abused for years, kept in a backyard compound where she bore two children and lived for 18 years, before some alert college campus cops figured out something was "off" about the two young girls that Phillip Garrido had brought with him to pitch his ?book? ?presentation?

This is her sharing from the inside, as best she could remember, in many places with scraps of her own journals. What she felt, what she remembers, how she felt about it, later, after she recovered her name and life.

It's raw, and very little editing was done. So for some people, that's a stumbling point. Knowing that Jaycee's education stopped at fifth grade, I think she did an amazing job.

As she did with her daughters, who clearly she loves very much. There's an innate conflict there, because no matter how she feels about him, her rapist and kidnapper was their father. Someday (if they haven't already), her daughters may read what she had to say about him, about them and their life in that tented "compound."

18 years - I am not sure I would be still alive or sane after 18 years. She could so easily have taken her own life, or done/said the wrong thing and "made" that madman kill her, but she survived, and found pleasure in small things, in pets and her daughters and fought fiercely for their education, looking up lessons on the Internet and printing out worksheets.

And if you wonder why she (or anyone) in a situation of domestic violence or captivity didn't run on the rare occasions she was allowed out in public, didn't try to send a message through the Internet, this memoir will help you understand.

Emotionally it's a very difficult read in many places, but inspiring, too. If nothing else, I urge you to buy a copy to support Jaycee, whether you ever read it or not. ( )
  writerbeverly | May 1, 2014 |
I thought this book was very well written and very interesting but very disturbing and eye-opening at the same time. She suffered tremendously and horribly. Phillip, the man that took her, should be tortured the same way he tortured her and that is what happened to her. He tortured her. There is no other way to explain it. If you are the least bit interested in her story and what she went through then you should read it but be forewarned that it will leave a bad taste in your mouth for Phillip and his wife Nancy and what Jaycee went through.
  Swade0710 | Mar 20, 2014 |
I did this book as a book on CD and listened to it vs read it.
It was read by Jaycee.

I liked it - it did some skipping around and at a few points I was confused but over all the story that she told / lived was wild. Things that could never be imaged and lived through happened to her. I wish her and her children a 'normal' life! ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
This is a heartbreaking raw recollection of Jaycee Lee Dugard who had her life stolen from her, as the title implies. It is written in a very candid way. you can feel she is still a kid, but not really, she is very mature.
I love reading memoirs, and this one is very unique in the writing style. Jaycee writes as if writing to a friend, having a heart-to-heart talk.
I loved the book, I learned from it, and I think Jaycee is a very strong survivor who deserves all of my respect and admiration! ( )
  pathogenik | Mar 2, 2014 |
There are novelists, most notably Emma Donoghue in “Room,” who have tried to imagine what a plight like this is like. There are tabloids that have capitalized on its obscenity. And there are far too many survivors of ghastly crimes who have told their stories in lurid terms laced with self-pity. But Ms. Dugard is different. Her book is brave, dignified and painstakingly honest, even when it comes to the banal particulars of how she stayed afloat. The best parts of “A Stolen Life” are good enough to outweigh the hand-written journal entries about Eclipse, her beloved kitten. Yes, Eclipse is the name Ms. Dugard innocently chose.

Dedicated to my daughters. For the times we've cried together, laughed together. And all the times in between.
Author's Note: This book might be confusing to some.
Ce livre en déconcertera peut-être certains.
Introduction: Let's get one thing straight! My name is Jaycee Lee Dugard.

The memoir of Jaycee Dugard who was kidnapped on June 10, 1991, when she was 11 years old, and was missing for over 18 years before her reappearance in 2009.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,498,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible