A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard

A Stolen Life: A Memoir (2011)

by Jaycee Dugard

I thought this book was very well written and very interesting but very disturbing and eye-opening at the same time. She suffered tremendously and horribly. Phillip, the man that took her, should be tortured the same way he tortured her and that is what happened to her. He tortured her. There is no other way to explain it. If you are the least bit interested in her story and what she went through then you should read it but be forewarned that it will leave a bad taste in your mouth for Phillip and his wife Nancy and what Jaycee went through.
  Swade0710 | Mar 20, 2014 |
I did this book as a book on CD and listened to it vs read it.
It was read by Jaycee.

I liked it - it did some skipping around and at a few points I was confused but over all the story that she told / lived was wild. Things that could never be imaged and lived through happened to her. I wish her and her children a 'normal' life! ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
This is a heartbreaking raw recollection of Jaycee Lee Dugard who had her life stolen from her, as the title implies. It is written in a very candid way. you can feel she is still a kid, but not really, she is very mature.
I love reading memoirs, and this one is very unique in the writing style. Jaycee writes as if writing to a friend, having a heart-to-heart talk.
I loved the book, I learned from it, and I think Jaycee is a very strong survivor who deserves all of my respect and admiration! ( )
  pathogenik | Mar 2, 2014 |
A STOLEN LIFE by Jaycee Dugard
Jaycee Dugard suffered unspeakable horror for 18 years. Kidnapped by a pedophile at age eleven and kept for 18 years, Dugard bore two children and came to depend upon her captor all while striving to maintain her “self” and remember her “real” family, especially her mother.
Her memoir tells of her heroism and fortitude in the face of unrelenting adversity. Often the voice of that eleven year old is heard; often the voice of a struggling 19 year old woman and mother is heard. She, at times, voices a maturity earned through pain. She struggles to shield her children from the press even while acknowledging the impossibility of that task. She struggles to heal herself and rejoin the “normal’ world.
It is impossible to read this memoir without suffering with Jaycee. It is also impossible to justify a critical review of this book. 5 of 5 stars ( )
  beckyhaase | Jan 28, 2014 |
Very graphic, read carefully. ( )
  LexyKayy | Jan 27, 2014 |
There are novelists, most notably Emma Donoghue in “Room,” who have tried to imagine what a plight like this is like. There are tabloids that have capitalized on its obscenity. And there are far too many survivors of ghastly crimes who have told their stories in lurid terms laced with self-pity. But Ms. Dugard is different. Her book is brave, dignified and painstakingly honest, even when it comes to the banal particulars of how she stayed afloat. The best parts of “A Stolen Life” are good enough to outweigh the hand-written journal entries about Eclipse, her beloved kitten. Yes, Eclipse is the name Ms. Dugard innocently chose.

Dedicated to my daughters. For the times we've cried together, laughed together. And all the times in between.
Author's Note: This book might be confusing to some.
Ce livre en déconcertera peut-être certains.
Introduction: Let's get one thing straight! My name is Jaycee Lee Dugard.

The memoir of Jaycee Dugard who was kidnapped on June 10, 1991, when she was 11 years old, and was missing for over 18 years before her reappearance in 2009.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,551,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible