Maid of Fairbourne Hall, The by Julie…

Maid of Fairbourne Hall, The

by Julie Klassen

A charming read, I loved going behind the scenes and experiencing the lives of the serving staff. ( )
  ChachaCenteno | Feb 6, 2014 |
When you dwell on a set of characters long after the story has been read and the book put back on the shelf, and then you start counting the days until you can pick it up and re-read it...that's a great book. The Maid of Fairbourne Hall is such a book.

Margaret Macy, the spoiled and selfish daughter of a dead Vicar, isn't my normal cup of tea. It was the stepfather that first caught my attention ~ as well as my imagination. Ms. Klassen weaved a well thought out plot with plenty of twists and turns, as well as sub-plots; all without missing a beat or having too much in one story. The characters I thought I was going to like? I didn't. The characters I thought I wouldn't like? I did. Capturing my attention almost from the first page, I left laundry in the dryer, dirty dishes in the sink, and even allowed this book to steal some precious hours of much-needed sleep.

This is my first Klassen novel. It won't be my last as she managed to gain the attention of this non-historical reading person and pull me into a world where her characters refuse to let me go.

Well done!

AmandaWrites | Dec 30, 2013 |
The Maid of Fairbourne Hall
takes readers inside both the fascinating above stairs and below stairs worlds of a 19th-century English manor, where appearances can be deceiving...

I loved this book!

Adventurous Regency romance kept me fascinated from beginning to end ~
the storyline had abundant intrigue.
The timing was perfect, keeping me turning all 400 pages!

Margaret worked on many of my emotions as her character
developed from frustrating to favoured.
Realistic characters, true to the age and era depicted, added to the authenticity.
[Though using the appropriate English spelling would add more to its authenticity]

The faith aspects are handled well and accurately to this historical period;
An addition to the story rather than a distraction.

A highly recommended book!

A great movie of the period that interconnects perfectly,
is "Amazing Grace".
It provides relevant background info on the sugar plantations
that bear on the storyline.
A highly recommended movie! ( )
  FHC | Jun 13, 2013 |
This is best Julie Klassen book I have read yet. ( )
  kathleen586 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Excellent look at life below stairs, and well researched. Klassen continues to deliver a well-planned plot, interesting characters, and a low key Christian message, in the style of Jane Austen. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Mar 3, 2013 |

To escape a scheme to marry her off to a dishonorable man, Margaret Macy flees London disguised as a housemaid. if she can remain unwed until her next birthday, she will receive an inheritance, and with it, sweet independence. But she never planned on working as a servant. And certainly not in the house of Nathaniel and Lewis Upchurch--both former suitors.

Fleeing a dishonorable man, Margaret abandons her pampered upper-class world for an anonymous life as a maid in the household of Nathaniel Upchurch, a suitor she once rejected in hopes of winning his brother.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,543,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible