The Story, NIV: The Bible as One Continuing…

The Story, NIV: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People

by Zondervan, NIV

Other authors: Randy Frazee (Foreword), Max Lucado (Foreword)

220252,892 (3.95)None
Recently added byprivate library, svd2srv, Calvin_Library, penrodbm, Moviegal, HoosierDaddy, JacksonPLibrary

A fast read and good for new or non believers, but left a lot out not really for older believers ( )
  nirrad | Apr 28, 2013 |
The purpose of this book of selections from the New International Version (NIV) of the Bible is disclosed in the last page of the volume, to hear “the truth. You’ve come face to face with the most important message you will ever hear: Jesus, God’s Son, came, lived died and rose again.” The author tells readers that they must “take a step down the narrow path that leads to unimaginable glory.”

The editors of the book present 31 chapters, 21 from the Hebrew Bible and 10 from the New Testament, each focuses on a different event from the many that occur in the Bible. They include a “Timeline” giving what the editors consider the years of the episodes; short comments in the middle or end of some of these quotations from the NIV that connect one selection with the next when the editors delete some of the biblical narratives; and definitions of terms at the bottom of certain pages. Scholars will have some problems with the editors’ information and comments.

• Many will disagree with the dates offered by the editors. For example, the consensus among scholars is that we cannot know the exact year of the Israelite exodus from Egyptian bondage, but it most likely occurred around 1200 BCE; they have the precise year 1446. The Bible has Abraham born 1948 years after creation, which is 3823 BCE; they have 2091. The Bible does not give the year of Moses’ brother Aaron’s death; they have 1406. There are many other similar differences.

• Some of the definitions are designed to suggest that the books of the Hebrew Bible teach about Christianity and Jesus. For example, the “holy spirit” in the Hebrew Bible is defined as “The manifestation of God who dwells within those who believe in Jesus Christ and empowers them to follow God’s way. God is one God but acts in three ‘persons’ of God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.” One may, of course, interpret the Bible as one chooses, but in fairness, one should say that this is an interpretation and it is not explicit in the text. They translate “messiah” as “A name of Jesus that emphasizes his role as God’s chosen deliverer.” Actually, messiah means anointed, a king or high priest who had oil pored upon his head when he became king or high priest. Jews looked forward to the coming of a Jewish king, which is synonymous with messiah, to rule over them. Christians felt that Jesus was this king.

In short, people need to beware as they read this book because scholars disagree with many of the supposed facts. ( )
  iddrazin | Jul 11, 2011 |

Zondervanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NIVmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Frazee, RandyForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lucado, MaxForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031095097X, Hardcover)

'THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD' IS MORE THAN JUST A CLICHe. God goes to great lengths to rescue lost and hurting people. That is what The Story is all about: the story of the Bible, God's great love affair with humanity. Condensed into 31 accessible chapters, The Story sweeps you into the unfolding progression of Bible characters and events from Genesis to Revelation. Using the clear, accessible text of the NIV Bible, it allows the stories, poems, and teachings of the Bible to read like a novel. And like any good story, The Story is filled with intrigue, drama, conflict, romance, and redemption; and this story's true! From the foreword by Max Lucado and Randy Frazee: 'This book tells the grandest, most compelling story of all time: the story of a true God who loves his children, who established for them a way of salvation and provided a route to eternity. Each story in these 31 chapters reveals the God of grace---the God who speaks; the God who acts; the God who listens; the God whose love for his people culminated in his sacrifice of Jesus, his only Son, to atone for the sins of humanity.' Features: * The story of the Bible---in its own words. Selections from the NIV Bible with short transitions to connect the reader to the continuing story. * Events, characters, and teachings of the Bible arranged chronologically * Timelines of Bible events * New International Version (NIV) Bible text Church families around the globe can now embrace The Story for a full ministry year through worship services, small group studies, and family activities. Learn more about this whole-church experience at TheStory.com. An excerpt from The Story: After Judas left, Jesus gave the disciples a glimpse of what was to come. He foreshadowed the fact that he was going to be 'broken' and 'poured out'---he was going to take humanity's punishment for sin on himself. While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, 'Take and eat; this is my body.' Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, 'Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.' Jesus warned his disciples that he would be with them only a little while longer. He went on to comfort his confused followers. 'Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.' Thomas said to him, 'Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?' Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.'

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:25 -0400)

"The Story reveals the unfolding, grand narrative of the Scriptures. Condensed into thirty-one accessible chapters, The Story sweeps you into the unfolding progression of Bible characters and events arranged chronologically from Genesis to Revelation -- allowing the stories, poems, and teachings of the Bible to read like a novel"--From publisher's website.… (more)

29 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible