The Story, NIV: The Bible as One Continuing…

The Story, NIV: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People (original 2005; edition 2011)

by Zondervan (Foreword)

Member:iddrazin
Title:The Story, NIV: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People
Authors:Zondervan
Info:Zondervan (2011), Hardcover, 512 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Bible, Christianity

The Story, NIV: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People by Max Lucado (Foreword) (2005)

Might be good for someone that has never read the Bible. Passages not marked off as to where they came from in the Bible.
  shelbycassie | Aug 5, 2018 |
My home church committed to working through this book in the year 2015. So, in January, our Pastor started following the outline of stories for most of his sermons over the course of the year, and our small-groups followed up and discussed the corresponding chapters (and his sermons) during the week that followed. The book was a great introduction to the core stories of the bible -- and for a church like ours, and a small group like mine, where many people are new to engaging with their faith (either cause they are so new to it, or they grew up in traditions where scripture knowledge was not prioritized), it was incredibly helpful. The book hit the core stories that many know in odd incomplete ways from pop culture and pop religion, but exposed them to the real, complete story as in scripture. Then followed up with good discussion questions. In our group we also used a companion video that was very helpful for kicking the discussion off.

(2015 Review #5)
  bohannon | Sep 19, 2016 |
The Bible, in novel format, very readable. ( )
  lhungsbe | Sep 16, 2016 |
Actually read the NIV of this. Loved the concept of this as a bible enthusiast. I would have liked it more if it wasn't so abundantly biased seeking not love of the Word of God but to make converts to Christendom. ( )
  aegossman | Feb 25, 2015 |
I really enjoyed "The Story" as it brought a unique perspective to the Bible. Being told in chronological order made the stories so captivating that it was hard to put the book down. ( )
  tannerl | Jul 6, 2014 |

Lucado, MaxForewordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frazee, Randymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Frazee, Randymain authorall editionsconfirmed
ZondervanAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Frazee, RandyForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Welcome to The Story -- God's Story

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031095097X, Hardcover)

'THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD' IS MORE THAN JUST A CLICHe. God goes to great lengths to rescue lost and hurting people. That is what The Story is all about: the story of the Bible, God's great love affair with humanity. Condensed into 31 accessible chapters, The Story sweeps you into the unfolding progression of Bible characters and events from Genesis to Revelation. Using the clear, accessible text of the NIV Bible, it allows the stories, poems, and teachings of the Bible to read like a novel. And like any good story, The Story is filled with intrigue, drama, conflict, romance, and redemption; and this story's true! From the foreword by Max Lucado and Randy Frazee: 'This book tells the grandest, most compelling story of all time: the story of a true God who loves his children, who established for them a way of salvation and provided a route to eternity. Each story in these 31 chapters reveals the God of grace---the God who speaks; the God who acts; the God who listens; the God whose love for his people culminated in his sacrifice of Jesus, his only Son, to atone for the sins of humanity.' Features: * The story of the Bible---in its own words. Selections from the NIV Bible with short transitions to connect the reader to the continuing story. * Events, characters, and teachings of the Bible arranged chronologically * Timelines of Bible events * New International Version (NIV) Bible text Church families around the globe can now embrace The Story for a full ministry year through worship services, small group studies, and family activities. Learn more about this whole-church experience at TheStory.com. An excerpt from The Story: After Judas left, Jesus gave the disciples a glimpse of what was to come. He foreshadowed the fact that he was going to be 'broken' and 'poured out'---he was going to take humanity's punishment for sin on himself. While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, 'Take and eat; this is my body.' Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, 'Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.' Jesus warned his disciples that he would be with them only a little while longer. He went on to comfort his confused followers. 'Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.' Thomas said to him, 'Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?' Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.'

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:15 -0400)

"The Story reveals the unfolding, grand narrative of the Scriptures. Condensed into thirty-one accessible chapters, The Story sweeps you into the unfolding progression of Bible characters and events arranged chronologically from Genesis to Revelation -- allowing the stories, poems, and teachings of the Bible to read like a novel"--From publisher's website.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,135,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible