The queen of the damned by Anne Rice

The queen of the damned (original 1988; edition 1988)

by Anne Rice

Member:ChristaJoy
Title:The queen of the damned
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:New York, NY : Ballantine Books, 1989, c1988.
Rating:***
Tags:Read, fiction, fantasy, vampires, movie

The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice (1988)

Recently added byJaissec, Theadora78, purple15emerald, pixelbaron, kathytapia, private library, Maddz
20th century (32) American (30) American literature (27) Anne Rice (136) dark fantasy (34) ebook (23) Egypt (27) fantasy (358) fiction (894) gothic (97) hardcover (19) horror (662) Lestat (79) made into movie (22) movie (20) New Orleans (37) novel (79) own (57) paperback (39) paranormal (58) read (138) Rice (33) series (137) sff (28) supernatural (94) thriller (21) to-read (52) urban fantasy (28) Vampire Chronicles (251) vampires (1,147)

English (58)  Italian (1)  All languages (59)
Lestat has rocked the vampire world with his music and his book revelations. But his voice has reached far more than he imagined – it has come to the ears of Akasha, the first vampire, the Queen of the Damned. For the first time in millennia, she has woken up

And she has plans – plans for Lestat, plans for the world of vampires and plans for all humanity.

It falls for a few ancient vampires to try and stop her as she unleashes carnage to realise her vision of what the world should be.

This book is 460 pages long. And like every Anne Rice books I’ve read to date it could easily be half that or less. I cannot even begin to describe the amount of redundancy and repetition there is in this book.

Usually when we get a character, the author will describe a bit about them, give some insight into their background and let the rest develop as the story progresses. Not Anne Rice. In these books we get a character and before they do anything even slightly relevant we have to have their life history. Not just their life history, but if we’re really lucky, we get their ancestry back 3 generations (at least) as well. It’s boring, it’s dull, it’s utterly irrelevant to anything resembling the plot.

I can’t even say there’s much in the way of coherent plot here anyway. A large part of the book involves recapping the last book. We have the dreams of the twins that just serve to be ominous foreshadowing – but are repeated and repeated and repeated and repeated over and over. I really can’t stress how repetitive this book is – this same dream is recounted not just from multiple sources but then multiple times from each source. And this is a theme throughout the books, we have multiple sources all thinking about Lestat and his music – but all thinking exactly the same thing about Lestat and his music. So we get the same thing over and over

And when people finally gather together their grand plan is EPIC EXPOSITION. Seriously, people being slaughtered, Askasha raging away and the gang gathers to have 2 solid nights of storytelling. The most long winded, repetitive story telling imaginable. Face the enemy with long winded folktales!

Then there’s the characters – all of who’s point of view we are treated to in ridiculous length – most of which are utterly irrelevant. At least Louis and Gabrielle and Armand have some history in the story and we don’t see too much from their POV, they’re recognised as being spectators. But the rest? What exactly was the point of Khayman? He just kind of sat in a corner and was ineffably sad. But we got pages and pages from his POV. Jesse? What did Jesse actually do? What was the point of her? What was the relevance of her Great Family? But she was there, her POV, her chapters worth of backstory was dragged up, we roped in the Talamasca for more pages of pointlessness – because none of it was relevant. None of it added to the overall plot. None of it added to the ending. None of her history or story was really relevant. And Daniel – another character inserted with a painfully long backstory and history with Armand who, like Louis and Gabrielle and Armand and Jesse, ended up being nothing more than a spectator for the – and I use the term loosely – action. These characters are not part of the story, they’re spectators, it’s like stopping a play in the middle so we can hear the biography of Mrs. Jones in the 3rd row of the theatre. It doesn’t matter, I have no reason to care, it’s pure padding

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jul 11, 2014 |
Along with Interview with a Vampire, by far one of the best books I've ever written. Anne Rice eloquently states her case for and against humanity via Akasha, Marius, and her "children", and weaves a tale that leaves the reader spellbound throughout the entire book. The mystery within compels the reader forward, and the reader genuinely feels for all the characters, not just Lestat who is, as usual, arrogant and pompous.

She argues for the monsters, stating they are all the more human for their monstrosity, and thus, engenders pity in us for them despite their homicidal tendencies. ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |

liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
My favorite of all Anne Rice books; too bad the movie sucked. ( )
  mearias | Sep 23, 2013 |
So, this one was one of the two Vamp Chronicles that I actually enjoyed somewhat. All the others can die. HA, that's funny cuz they're dead because they're vampires! ....Anyway....

This had an actual story to follow, whereas the others were all just Lestat (who is NOT cool, by the way) whining about something and all the others totally doing sexual things except they're not sexual. Hmm. Story. Right. It was a mystery type thing, with plot and relevant ideas and characters and it was pretty good.

The movie, however, was horrible. Don't even waste your time. ( )
  drrtydenimdiva | Jul 18, 2013 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Vampire Chronicles (omnibus) by Anne Rice

5 Titles in Vampire Chronicles By Anne Rice - Vampire Lestat - Tale of the Body Thief - Queen of the Damned - Merrick - by Anne Rice

9 Book Collection of Anne Rice: The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief, Interview With The Vampire, Memnoch by Anne Rice

The Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire,The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Books 1-3) by Anne Rice

THE Vampire Chronicles - 5 Titles - Interview with the Vampire - The Vampire Lestat - The Queen of the Damned - The Tale by Anne Rice

Collector's Set (5-Paperback Books): Taltos, The Tale Of The Body Thief, Queen Of The Damned, The Vampire Lestat, Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

TRAGIC RABBIT

Tragic rabbit, a painting.
The caked ears green like rolled corn.
The black forehead pointing at the stars.
A painting on my wall, alone

as rabbits are
and aren't. Fat red cheek,
all Art, trembling nose,
a habit hard to break as not.

You too can be a tragic rabbit; green and red
your back, blue your manly little chest.
But if you're ever goaded into being one
beware the True Flesh, it

will knock you off your tragic horse
and break your tragic colors like a ghost
breaks marble; your wounds will heal
so quickly water

will be jealous.
Rabbits on white paper painted
outgrow all charms against their breeding wild;
and their rolled corn ears become horns.

So watch out if the tragic life feels fine-
caught in the rabbit trap
all colors look like sunlight's swords,
and scissors like The Living Lord.

STAN RICE

my beloved editors:
John Dodds
and
William Whitehead
I'm the Vampire Lestat. Remember me?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345419626, Paperback)

Did you ever wonder where all those mischievous vampires roaming the globe in Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles came from? In this, the third book in the series, we find out. That raucous rock-star vampire Lestat interrupts the 6,000-year slumber of the mama of all bloodsuckers, Akasha, Queen of the Damned.

Akasha was once the queen of the Nile (she has a bit in common with the Egyptian goddess Isis), and it's unwise to rile her now that she's had 60 centuries of practice being undead. She is so peeved about male violence that she might just have to kill most of them. And she has her eye on handsome Lestat with other ideas as well.

If you felt that the previous books in the series weren't gory and erotic enough, this one should quench your thirst (though it may cause you to omit organ meats from your diet). It also boasts God's plenty of absorbing lore that enriches the tale that went before, including the back-story of the boy in Interview with the Vampire and the ancient fellowship of the Talamasca, which snoops on paranormal phenomena. Mostly, the book spins the complex yarn of Akasha's eerie, brooding brood and her nemeses, the terrifying sisters Maharet and Mekare. In one sense, Queen of the Damned is the ultimate multigenerational saga. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:59 -0400)

Intertwines the stories of rock star and vampire Lestat, beautiful twins haunted by a gruesome tragedy, and Akasha, mother of all vampires, who dreams of godhood.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible