The queen of the damned by Anne Rice

The queen of the damned (original 1988; edition 1988)

by Anne Rice

Member:ChristaJoy
Title:The queen of the damned
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:
Rating:***
Tags:Read, fiction, fantasy, vampires, movie

The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice (1988)

English (62)  Italian (1)  All languages (63)
After chugging my way through Interview with a Vampire and Vampire Lestat, I finally completed The Queen of the Damned, an interesting if somewhat bloated work by Anne Rice. Anne’s written plenty of books in her vampire chronicles but I think I’ll stop here and savor it.
The Children of the Darkness have their “Baltimore Catechism” (as Anne says) in The Queen of the Damned. The book does a pretty good job of catching up the new reader, but it’s better to read Lestat first.
As in Lestat, the books actually appear as characters in this very story. The characters are somewhat fleshed out such as Daniel , the original writer of “Interview” who wants to be a vampire himself, following Armand all over until Mr. A acquiesces.
Other characters are introduced too such as Jesse, a redhead and apparent relation to the original Twins who dealt with the Queen way back 5000 B.C.

The book tends to really be slow at the start: lots of explanation, what is happening to Louis, New Orleans, the mysterious organization Talamasca, and other supernatural craziness that was at times hard to follow.

Queen: Finally things start rolling mid-novel when all the characters we’ve met gather in a cabin in Sonoma and plot what they will do about the Queen, who really just wants to kill pretty much the entire male side of the human race (since men are so evil, doncha know!).

I found Anne’s prose in this respect very interesting. Lestat seemed at times out of character, acquiescing to his Queen and at times even joining in the carnage rather than protest against her. That was a disappointment.

The ending, I will not reveal, but I felt the final confrontation was quick and disappointing after all the build-up.

The final paragraphs were fun: Lestat with his new-found power is delighting in it, and Rice sets us up for the next book.

Bottom Line: Entertaining in the end, but you need the patience of an Exorcist to get through to that point! Best character: Jesse, although she was pretty much dropped from the story early on. Worse would have to be Mael, who didn’t really have much of a role to play in the final act.

Recommended.

jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
This book just made me love Lestat in ways I didn't think possible! Especially within the final couple pages of the book, or the entire last chapter. In fact, some of the overall enjoyment suffered for me because there were some sections, as "Lestat" explained, that needed to be told in third person as opposed to in his narration.

I loved his self-centered persona that much, but I wouldn't say the book depended on it either. While introducing some of the new character this way lost my attention (having lost both first person narration and familiarity from the first two books), I was still interested by stories of what happened later with Armand, Daniel, Marius and I grew especially fond of one of the new characters: Jesse. "The Story of the Twins" also added the touch of the grotesque needed to remind the readers how 'demonic' these creatures/people are supposed to be after growing attached to Louis, Lestat, Armand, some reminders of Claudia... added some well-needed horror to what was becoming drama between the vampires.

But speaking of horror: the title character, the vampire queen, Akasha... I have no words for her. Her character is good in that it is terrible. A true ignorant ruler which made me scared and angry and not even her fellow vampires or her husband, Enkil, could talk her into anything. Lestat is that playful evil that everyone loves and then Akasha just kind of...ruins that ride, for Lestat too, not just the reader. (Like, no, this is the messed up kind of evil; give me the fun evil back.)

Really enjoyed what was there. Cannot even compare it to the first two books because they really just flow well enough that they seem like an extension of each other. Planning to read The Tale of the Body Thief after. I'm coming back to edit this review to make a comparison to the movie later. I have already been informed that the movie to Queen of the Damned was pretty terrible (though the music may be worth watching it for), but I cannot stop my curiosity. I am attempting to enter it with an open mind and make this a dual-review of both book and movie.

EDIT - SPOILER WARNING - DO NOT READ AHEAD FOR COMPARISON IF YOU DON'T LIKE
(YOU CAN SKIP TO THE CONCLUSION IN THE LAST COUPLE LINES AND THE FIRST PARAGRAPH SPOILER-FREE)

The movie was better than expected, at least. I can put my feelings aside long enough to say that, had it be put of of the mind its relatiion to the Vampire Chronicles, it would be a pretty decent movie. Loved the music, pretty much how I imagined it. Akasha was gracefully done, as was her incineration powers. The pacing seemed a bit too fast for the backstory it tried to include, but all in all I enjoyed it.

What I did not enjoy, however, is the diregard for the majority of the novel. When you have read the books, you know that not everything is Lestat, ok? Where was Louis? Gabriel? Armand? Daniel? Mekare? They managed to fit in Marius, but he only ever made Armand, not Lestat. Also...an implied romance between Lestat and Jesse? No. Lestat loved Akasha and Louis, meaning yes he is bisexual (though I believe vampires are incapable of having sex in the first place). Lestat was not her maker. She, as well as the rest of her family were psychics (or witches) and the Story of the Twins was completely overlooked. There was also an underlying theme in Lestat in him wanting attention for motrals because he didn't want to be lonely...but, in the book, he just liked to see what would happen. He was a rulebreaker. He liked the spotlight, true, but he craved entirely selfish attention and hardly gave a care to anything.

In the movie, Akasha finally died when the vampires drank all of her blood. Nevermind the fear established in the book that if she dies all of vampirekind dies with her, her death was also supposed to be a lot more brutal: she was supposed to be beheaded and then have both her heart and brain divided and eaten amongst the twins who were as ancient as her. And Akasha was not just looking to make the vampires rule in the book. She was looking to create world peace through the death of 90% of earth's men. And she fought Lestat constantly on this. It looks like a lot has changed between the two media forms, when in fact I feel this is only scratching the surface on what differences there are.

So, in conclusion, the Queen of the Damned movie is perfectly fine. Unless you have read the books. Then you will have a nerd rage for sure. ( )
2 vote MoonSpider | Aug 21, 2014 |
Incredibly thought prevoking. Somehow through a disturbing and seductive vampire story she makes you examine society and the world around you through infantile eyes. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
Lestat has rocked the vampire world with his music and his book revelations. But his voice has reached far more than he imagined – it has come to the ears of Akasha, the first vampire, the Queen of the Damned. For the first time in millennia, she has woken up

And she has plans – plans for Lestat, plans for the world of vampires and plans for all humanity.

It falls for a few ancient vampires to try and stop her as she unleashes carnage to realise her vision of what the world should be.

This book is 460 pages long. And like every Anne Rice books I’ve read to date it could easily be half that or less. I cannot even begin to describe the amount of redundancy and repetition there is in this book.

Usually when we get a character, the author will describe a bit about them, give some insight into their background and let the rest develop as the story progresses. Not Anne Rice. In these books we get a character and before they do anything even slightly relevant we have to have their life history. Not just their life history, but if we’re really lucky, we get their ancestry back 3 generations (at least) as well. It’s boring, it’s dull, it’s utterly irrelevant to anything resembling the plot.

I can’t even say there’s much in the way of coherent plot here anyway. A large part of the book involves recapping the last book. We have the dreams of the twins that just serve to be ominous foreshadowing – but are repeated and repeated and repeated and repeated over and over. I really can’t stress how repetitive this book is – this same dream is recounted not just from multiple sources but then multiple times from each source. And this is a theme throughout the books, we have multiple sources all thinking about Lestat and his music – but all thinking exactly the same thing about Lestat and his music. So we get the same thing over and over

And when people finally gather together their grand plan is EPIC EXPOSITION. Seriously, people being slaughtered, Askasha raging away and the gang gathers to have 2 solid nights of storytelling. The most long winded, repetitive story telling imaginable. Face the enemy with long winded folktales!

Then there’s the characters – all of who’s point of view we are treated to in ridiculous length – most of which are utterly irrelevant. At least Louis and Gabrielle and Armand have some history in the story and we don’t see too much from their POV, they’re recognised as being spectators. But the rest? What exactly was the point of Khayman? He just kind of sat in a corner and was ineffably sad. But we got pages and pages from his POV. Jesse? What did Jesse actually do? What was the point of her? What was the relevance of her Great Family? But she was there, her POV, her chapters worth of backstory was dragged up, we roped in the Talamasca for more pages of pointlessness – because none of it was relevant. None of it added to the overall plot. None of it added to the ending. None of her history or story was really relevant. And Daniel – another character inserted with a painfully long backstory and history with Armand who, like Louis and Gabrielle and Armand and Jesse, ended up being nothing more than a spectator for the – and I use the term loosely – action. These characters are not part of the story, they’re spectators, it’s like stopping a play in the middle so we can hear the biography of Mrs. Jones in the 3rd row of the theatre. It doesn’t matter, I have no reason to care, it’s pure padding

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jul 11, 2014 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Vampire Chronicles (omnibus) by Anne Rice

5 Titles in Vampire Chronicles By Anne Rice - Vampire Lestat - Tale of the Body Thief - Queen of the Damned - Merrick - by Anne Rice

9 Book Collection of Anne Rice: The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief, Interview With The Vampire, Memnoch by Anne Rice

The Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire,The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Books 1-3) by Anne Rice

THE Vampire Chronicles - 5 Titles - Interview with the Vampire - The Vampire Lestat - The Queen of the Damned - The Tale by Anne Rice

Collector's Set (5-Paperback Books): Taltos, The Tale Of The Body Thief, Queen Of The Damned, The Vampire Lestat, Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

TRAGIC RABBIT

Tragic rabbit, a painting.
The caked ears green like rolled corn.
The black forehead pointing at the stars.
A painting on my wall, alone

as rabbits are
and aren't. Fat red cheek,
all Art, trembling nose,
a habit hard to break as not.

You too can be a tragic rabbit; green and red
your back, blue your manly little chest.
But if you're ever goaded into being one
beware the True Flesh, it

will knock you off your tragic horse
and break your tragic colors like a ghost
breaks marble; your wounds will heal
so quickly water

will be jealous.
Rabbits on white paper painted
outgrow all charms against their breeding wild;
and their rolled corn ears become horns.

So watch out if the tragic life feels fine-
caught in the rabbit trap
all colors look like sunlight's swords,
and scissors like The Living Lord.

STAN RICE

my beloved editors:
John Dodds
and
William Whitehead
I'm the Vampire Lestat. Remember me?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345419626, Paperback)

Did you ever wonder where all those mischievous vampires roaming the globe in Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles came from? In this, the third book in the series, we find out. That raucous rock-star vampire Lestat interrupts the 6,000-year slumber of the mama of all bloodsuckers, Akasha, Queen of the Damned.

Akasha was once the queen of the Nile (she has a bit in common with the Egyptian goddess Isis), and it's unwise to rile her now that she's had 60 centuries of practice being undead. She is so peeved about male violence that she might just have to kill most of them. And she has her eye on handsome Lestat with other ideas as well.

If you felt that the previous books in the series weren't gory and erotic enough, this one should quench your thirst (though it may cause you to omit organ meats from your diet). It also boasts God's plenty of absorbing lore that enriches the tale that went before, including the back-story of the boy in Interview with the Vampire and the ancient fellowship of the Talamasca, which snoops on paranormal phenomena. Mostly, the book spins the complex yarn of Akasha's eerie, brooding brood and her nemeses, the terrifying sisters Maharet and Mekare. In one sense, Queen of the Damned is the ultimate multigenerational saga. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:59 -0400)

Intertwines the stories of rock star and vampire Lestat, beautiful twins haunted by a gruesome tragedy, and Akasha, mother of all vampires, who dreams of godhood.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,418,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible