The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt: A Novel in…

The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt: A Novel in Pictures (2011)

by Caroline Preston

I saw this in my recommendations, and I'm so glad I did. This was a wonderful book. I loved the vintage 1920s memorabilia. ( )
  CarpeLibrum58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
What an intriguing way to read a book! Set up in scrapbook format about a college girl in 1920 who dreams of being a writer, you get sucked in by the photographs, texts, memorabilia, pieces of script (from novels, poems, letters, Etc). The author has certainly weaved a whimsical, romantic tale in this travel log and you just want to keep turning the pages to see what other artifacts you may find. ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
I guess one would call this a graphic novel, but the real subtitle is "a story in pictures." The author did not draw anything, but instead the book is done, as the title states, in the style of a scrapbook. The author collected and bought (much of it on e-bay) memorabilia from the 1920's and used it to tell the story of Frankie Pratt, a young woman in the 1920's. The only writing in the novel is done in the font of an old typewriter and appears as if the few lines wee typed, then cut out with pinking shears and glued next to menus, postcards, ticket stubs, newspaper clippings, graduation programs, pictures of campaign buttons, invitations, etc. In short, it is illustrated by everything one would put in a scrapbook. A very interesting genre - similar to - but not quite the same as what I understand as a graphic novel. The story is so-so, but I really enjoyed "reading" the book. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
An interesting book and a quick read. I liked the vintage memorabilia, but I wasn't that drawn to the story or the narrator. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Inventive and absolutely charming story told with vintage images and ephemera by an author who has worked as an archivist and obviously delights in material culture. My daughter found this book and said, even before she'd read it, "You might like this one." She was right. It's a treat. Deep and earthshaking? No. Just a lot of fun. ( )
  robson663 | Jun 20, 2014 |
DEDICATED TO
my sisters
Margo & Marion
How This Story Begins . . .

Scrapbook was a high school graduation present from mother.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061966908, Hardcover)

For her graduation from high school in 1920, Frankie Pratt receives a scrapbook and her father’s old Corona typewriter. Despite Frankie’s dreams of becoming a writer, she must forgo a college scholarship to help her widowed mother. But when a mysterious Captain James sweeps her off her feet, her mother finds a way to protect Frankie from the less-than-noble intentions of her unsuitable beau.

Through a kaleidoscopic array of vintage postcards, letters, magazine ads, ticket stubs, catalog pages, fabric swatches, candy wrappers, fashion spreads, menus, and more, we meet and follow Frankie on her journey in search of success and love. Once at Vassar, Frankie crosses paths with intellectuals and writers, among them “Vincent” (alumna Edna St. Vincent Millay), who encourages Frankie to move to Greenwich Village and pursue her writing. When heartbreak finds her in New York, she sets off for Paris aboard the S.S. Mauritania, where she keeps company with two exiled Russian princes and a “spinster adventuress” who is paying her way across the Atlantic with her unused trousseau. In Paris, Frankie takes a garret apartment above Shakespeare & Company, the hub of expat life, only to have a certain ne’er-do-well captain from her past reappear. But when a family crisis compels Frankie to return to her small New England hometown, she finds exactly what she had been looking for all along.

Author of the New York Times Notable Book Jackie by Josie, Caroline Preston pulls from her extraordinary collection of vintage ephemera to create the first-ever scrapbook novel, transporting us back to the vibrant, burgeoning bohemian culture of the 1920s and introducing us to an unforgettable heroine, the spirited, ambitious, and lovely Frankie Pratt.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:04 -0400)

Using an array of vintage memorabilia, a novel told in the form of a scrapbook follows Frankie Pratt, who goes to Vassar in 1920 with dreams of becoming a writer, which becomes a stepping stone to an international adventure.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,879,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible