The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt: A Novel in…

The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt: A Novel in Pictures (2011)

by Caroline Preston

Very interesting. An amazing collection of ephemera to tell this story ( )
  ParadisePorch | Oct 12, 2018 |
The scrapbooker in me loved the wonderful scrapbook that Caroline Preston has put together, collecting all that ephemera must have been so much fun. The story, of a young girl leaving her small town, heading off to College, NYC and then Paris is a little thin, but then if one is to believe it is a real scrapbook one has too consider how detailed a person would be with their comments, after all, a scrapbook is not a diary. This scrapbook contained more "story" than a real scrapbook probably would, but enough to give us an engaging tale. Though not as artistic, it did remind me of the Griffin and Sabine books I adore. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
It was fun looking at all the ephemera in this book. I loved the concept, even though I can't say I had a firm grasp on the characterization. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
I have read and liked author Caroline Preston's three past novels. The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt: A Novel in Pictures is her first foray into a more graphic novel format. Rather than drawings as is usual for graphic novels, Preston uses actual antique ephemera and scrapbooking materials that dates from the 1920s, which is when this novel takes place.

The storyline -- girl meets boy, etc etc -- was fairly predictable, but the pages were a feast for my eyes and therefore I enjoyed it a great deal. I did enjoy the literary references -- the main character is an aspiring writer. Incidentally, Preston's mother was the goddaughter of Sylvia Beach, proprietor/founder of the famed Shakespeare and Company in Paris. Of course, Sylvia Beach is a character in this novel.

Preston has a new novel recently out in this same format, but it takes place during World War II. I'll definitely be on the look out for it. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Jan 19, 2018 |

Fun, clever, witty and full of interesting tidbits. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
DEDICATED TO
my sisters
Margo & Marion
How This Story Begins . . .

Scrapbook was a high school graduation present from mother.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061966908, Hardcover)

For her graduation from high school in 1920, Frankie Pratt receives a scrapbook and her father’s old Corona typewriter. Despite Frankie’s dreams of becoming a writer, she must forgo a college scholarship to help her widowed mother. But when a mysterious Captain James sweeps her off her feet, her mother finds a way to protect Frankie from the less-than-noble intentions of her unsuitable beau.

Through a kaleidoscopic array of vintage postcards, letters, magazine ads, ticket stubs, catalog pages, fabric swatches, candy wrappers, fashion spreads, menus, and more, we meet and follow Frankie on her journey in search of success and love. Once at Vassar, Frankie crosses paths with intellectuals and writers, among them “Vincent” (alumna Edna St. Vincent Millay), who encourages Frankie to move to Greenwich Village and pursue her writing. When heartbreak finds her in New York, she sets off for Paris aboard the S.S. Mauritania, where she keeps company with two exiled Russian princes and a “spinster adventuress” who is paying her way across the Atlantic with her unused trousseau. In Paris, Frankie takes a garret apartment above Shakespeare & Company, the hub of expat life, only to have a certain ne’er-do-well captain from her past reappear. But when a family crisis compels Frankie to return to her small New England hometown, she finds exactly what she had been looking for all along.

Author of the New York Times Notable Book Jackie by Josie, Caroline Preston pulls from her extraordinary collection of vintage ephemera to create the first-ever scrapbook novel, transporting us back to the vibrant, burgeoning bohemian culture of the 1920s and introducing us to an unforgettable heroine, the spirited, ambitious, and lovely Frankie Pratt.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:04 -0400)

"For her graduation from high school in 1920, Frankie Pratt receives a scrapbook and her father's old Corona typewriter. Despite Frankie's dreams of becoming a writer, she must forgo a college scholarship to help her widowed mother. But when a mysterious Captain James sweeps her off her feet, her mother finds a way to protect Frankie from the less-than-noble intentions of her unsuitable beau. Through a kaleidoscopic array of vintage postcards, letters, magazine ads, ticket stubs, catalog pages, fabric swatches, candy wrappers, fashion spreads, menus, and more, we meet and follow Frankie on her journey in search of success and love."--Cover, p. [2].… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,198,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible