The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (2012)

by John Green

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (chwiggy)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)

English (1,220)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,268)
Yeah. The hype is right on the money. Awesome book. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
Hazel has cancer and she goes to a support group and meets a boy, Augustus, who also has cancer and becomes her boyfriend. They share their favorite books and Augustus ends up really liking Hazel's favorite book, and they have questions for the author that they struggle to get answers to. They have a lot of interesting conversations about life and death, since most of their circle of friends also have cancer. This is a heavy book, and I don't mean physically. While it's a relatively quick and easy read, it leaves the reader pondering some deep thoughts about life, death, and the legacies we leave behind. The book has several twists and turns; I was wrong on several of my predictions as I read along, although there were some things I correctly predicted. The back of my copy had excerpts of some of Green's other novels; I might have to read them also - I enjoy his style of writing and his word choices.
  BTPiglet | Jul 19, 2018 |
I am surprised by The Fault In Our Stars. I avoided reading it for the longest time because its YA and lately I've been annoyed by that genre. It was good, a little obvious, but still good. I don't relate to this book at all, I'm not a teen who has cancer or in love with a person who has cancer, I'm not going to try to relate to a book like this with these characters, it's insulting. I enjoyed the story for what it is a love story between cancer patients who aren't into the whole hopeful bullshit. Only thing I didn't like about the book was how they kept including the Van Houten character past the trip to Amsterdam, like really? He's going to visit the US for the funeral after he was such a dick. Yeah he had a daughter with cancer that explain his attitude and such but still, that's not realistic and felt like if you are going to talk about how his own book in the novel felt incomplete, let his character be incomplete by not having him pop up all the time, not everything needs to be explained and wrapped up in a cheesy fashion. Besides that, it was a good read. Sad and sweet ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
I decided to read this book because the title appealed, and I wanted to know what the fuss was all about. I'm really glad I did. I knew it was good when I couldn't put it down. I knew it was exceptional when it made me cry. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | Jun 18, 2018 |
This book was magnificent and absolutely beautiful. John Green is such an amazing writer and this book definitely deserves all the attention it is getting.

I'm not going to spend my time summarizing the books as much as raving on about it's excellence. This book is so utterly different from most of the books written nowadays. Instead of the usual desperate or not so intelligent and nerd teenagers, John Green makes his characters have high intelligence, in a way that still make them seem youthful. The characters sometimes use memorable quotes in their speech which makes the book even more immensely beautiful and it seems to be before.

The average rating of this book is 4.53 and everyone I know has given this book 5 stars, and well, it deserves that. Every aspect of this story; the characters, the words, the plot line, was an inspiration and even though some people might already view life as having as much complexity and struggles as Hazel Graze and Augustus Waters do, it can teach others a lot.

The amazing title of this book comes from Shakespeare:
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves..."
- Cassius to Brutus (Act I, Scene II, Julius Caesar)

In this case Cassius means to say that it is not fate that ends up screwing people's lives but in fact our own. John Green however thinks otherwise and his opinion is displayed through the character Peter Van Houten that believes that there are some aspects of our lives that are already predetermined. So technically there is some fault in our stars, thus the title.

This book however left in a giant pool of my own tears, choking on my own laughter and I basically spend every moment trying to read this book. I love this book so much that I actually hate it for making me feel such immense emotion throughout it, which I personally thought I could handle. Unfortunately, I have never been so wrong.

It hit me right in the feels and I just can't seem to explain the excellence of this book no matter how long this review turns out to be. The Fault in Our Stars just completely radiates excellence ( )
  caffeinatedreads | Jun 18, 2018 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,042,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible