dismiss

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (2012)

by John Green

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (chwiggy)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)

English (1,312)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,361)
This book is about a teenage girl named Hazel who has cancer. Her mom thinks that sending her to Support group helps, but Hazel doesn't really like it. Until she meets Augustus. He also had cancer, and because of that, has one fake leg. They start to become friends and eventually trade books. Hazel offers him her favourite book, An Imperial Affliction by Peter Van Houten. For years, she had been trying to write to him to ask about the ending but never got an answer. When she found out that Augustus wrote to him once and got a response, she was excited. Over time, Augustus and Hazel fall in love with each other. As a cancer kid, you get a Wish. Hazel already used hers on Disneyland, so Augustus used his to bring her to Amsterdam to meet Peter Van Houten. Shortly before they were going to leave, she has a sudden overflow of liquid in her lungs and is rushed to the E.R. After a few weeks of recovery, she gets the all clear to go to Amsterdam. While there, Hazel and Augustus go eat at a fancy restaurant. The next day, the go meet Peter Van Houten. Meeting Peter Van Houten was nothing like Hazel thought it would be. He was a very rude old man who didn't even answer her questions. Soon, they arrive home. Augustus, however, has something he needs to tell Hazel. He has tumours all over his body, which later causes him to become very sick and it just keeps getting worse. At one point, he brings Hazel and his friend Isaac to the church for a pre-funeral where Hazel and Isaac said their eulogies. Unfortunately, Augustus dies 8 days later.
Even though I knew this book had romance in it, I still read it because I was bored. I don't necessarily regret it, because it was a good book. I personally like John Green, so I wasn't surprised that I liked it. The book definitely took a sad turn when Augustus died because I thought that Hazel was going to die. I did find it pretty funny too. It reminded me of a rom-com. A good book for young adults in my opinion. ( )
  AGravett.ELA5 | May 26, 2020 |
The Fault in our Stars is about two teens, Hazel and Augustus. Both suffer from cancer. They meet each other in a cancer support group where they quickly become friends. They eventually end up with the idea to trade favorite books to read. Hazel gives Augustus, An Imperial Affliction. The author of which is Peter Van Houten. As time goes on Augustus tells Hazel he's been emailing Van Houten's assistant, Lidewij, and that they've planned a trip to go see him in Amsterdam. She, of course, is thrilled. But, suddenly she gets very sick when her lungs fill with fluid and she is rushed to the ICU. Hazel discovers later that Augustus never left the hospital. Despite going through some obstacles they finally get to go to Amsterdam. The trip ends up not as great as they thought when they found out Van Houten is an alcoholic, and he is incredibly rude to them. But, while in Amsterdam they realize they have feelings for each other and admit their feelings for each other. While on the trip, however, Augustus reveals his cancer came back and is later confined to a wheelchair. He finds out he doesn't have much time left, so he asks Hazel to write a eulogy for him so he can hear it before he passes. Shortly after, he passes away and Hazel is devastated. She is even more upset when she finds out Van Houten came to Augustus's funeral. But, he reveals Gus wanted him there to give Hazel a letter he had written for her. The book ends with Hazel reading Augustus's letter and he says he is happy with his choices and asks if she is, with Hazel simply replying that she is.

I would 100% recommend this book. Although it is incredibly sad, I think it is a very realistic love story which I like. It's the harsh reality for many people, including teens, with cancer. This book made me cry, but, it was definitely a good book. My favorite thing about this book is just how beautifully written it is. It also covers a lot of difficult subjects that some people are too afraid to talk about. Such as death, feelings for people, and pain. I think it's just overall an amazing story filled with so much emotion, heartbreak, and sadness that it almost seems unreal. But, it's definitely worth the read. ( )
  MMcDonald.ELA2 | May 26, 2020 |
What I loved most about The Fault in Our Stars is the subject of unconditional love, friendship and the joy of living which is quite something given that the heroes are teenagers who have terminal cancer. The Fault in Our Stars is a beautiful and uplifting book, yet very sad because it touches on the realities of pain and death. With that, it also brought a bit of humor in some scenes. This book is so well written and really takes you on a journey with the characters where you feel an actual connection with them. I loved all the characters and how John Green portrayed them. There were sensitive scenes in The Fault in Our Stars that could be triggering to some readers. Overall, I loved this book and will definitely be recommending it to older readers. ( )
  KBender.ELA4 | May 25, 2020 |
Our narrator, high school student, Hazel Grace, is slowly dying of cancer. It is terminal. It isn't a question of if it will kill her, but only how long it will take. In a support group she attends largely to make her parents happy, she meets Augustus Waters, who has lost part of a leg to cancer, but is now cancer-free. Hazel and Augustus are quite different in many ways, but they are both bright, philosophical, and having faced similar morbid destinies, they are drawn to each other. In spite of her best efforts not to fall in love (for it will only hurt Augustus when she inevitably dies) she does fall in love. They even travel to Europe to meet an author Hazel is somewhat obsessed with.
But the point of the book is its long, deep look into the face of death. Does death have meaning? Does life have meaning? How do we survive the death of someone we love? If we are the dying one, how do we handle the knowledge that we are destined to destroy the lives of the people we love, simply by dying? There is some small pondering of whether there is a heaven, or anything, after death, but that is minor. The book is delving into what death means to the living.
Excellent choice for anyone who still enjoys actually thinking. ( )
  fingerpost | May 25, 2020 |
Hazel defines herself by her lung cancer. Until she encounters Augustus. They only know each other for a short amount of time, but they don't have many years left in their lives. Is a few months enough to fall in love? According to John Green, yes. In “The Fault In Our Stars’ Hazel and Augustus meet at a cancer meeting in a church. Hazel doesn’t talk to boys much or anyone. But when she seizes Augustus’ attention, they become infatuated with each other. They explore the depths of each other's thoughts through texting. They as cancer victims learn they only live once. In this coming of age tale, they throw eggs at cars, travel to Europe, go on dates, contact their favorite author, and fall in love. Hazel lets down her walls. This is extremely touching because she inevitably sees herself as a grenade who will hurt the people around her. However, the readers are punished by the last 20 pages of this book. In the end, the love of Hazels’ life, Augustus, dies of cancer at the age of 17. In the story Augustus decides to write an obituary for Hazel because of her tragically limited lifespan. So at the end when Augustus dies, Hazel reads what he wrote about her. “What else? She is so beautiful. You don't get tired of looking at her. You never worry if she is smarter than you: You know she is. She is funny without ever being mean. I love her. I am so lucky to love her, Van Houten. You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers.”Hazel responds with: “I do, Augustus.”In this story Hazel learns that being close to people is worth the pain. She also learns more about herself, and her place in the world, and she discovers a new take on mortality.

This book has me sobbing internally. After reading it I had to put the book down and stare out the window for ten minutes. I must admit I did try to read this book two years ago but I didn’t understand the story and the number of pages overwhelmed me. So I gave up in the middle. I am so glad I decided to try reading this again. I am appreciative now of the story and message. I am way more mature now and I am disappointed in my past self. John Green made me fall in love with the story just to murder a character. But I understand that Augustus’ death was necessary to the story because it provided Hazel the chance to learn. Anyway, I get the hype on the book. It is stocked with emotion, comedy, romance, raw unfiltered thoughts, and tragedy. I recommend this book to any teenagers that enjoy being lovesick. ( )
  HFish.ELA4 | May 25, 2020 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,488,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible