The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:albanypubliclibrary
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Books (2012), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 318 pages
Collections:obob '13

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (chwiggy)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)

English (1,219)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (1,267)
I decided to read this book because the title appealed, and I wanted to know what the fuss was all about. I'm really glad I did. I knew it was good when I couldn't put it down. I knew it was exceptional when it made me cry. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | Jun 18, 2018 |
This book was magnificent and absolutely beautiful. John Green is such an amazing writer and this book definitely deserves all the attention it is getting.

I'm not going to spend my time summarizing the books as much as raving on about it's excellence. This book is so utterly different from most of the books written nowadays. Instead of the usual desperate or not so intelligent and nerd teenagers, John Green makes his characters have high intelligence, in a way that still make them seem youthful. The characters sometimes use memorable quotes in their speech which makes the book even more immensely beautiful and it seems to be before.

The average rating of this book is 4.53 and everyone I know has given this book 5 stars, and well, it deserves that. Every aspect of this story; the characters, the words, the plot line, was an inspiration and even though some people might already view life as having as much complexity and struggles as Hazel Graze and Augustus Waters do, it can teach others a lot.

The amazing title of this book comes from Shakespeare:
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves..."
- Cassius to Brutus (Act I, Scene II, Julius Caesar)

In this case Cassius means to say that it is not fate that ends up screwing people's lives but in fact our own. John Green however thinks otherwise and his opinion is displayed through the character Peter Van Houten that believes that there are some aspects of our lives that are already predetermined. So technically there is some fault in our stars, thus the title.

This book however left in a giant pool of my own tears, choking on my own laughter and I basically spend every moment trying to read this book. I love this book so much that I actually hate it for making me feel such immense emotion throughout it, which I personally thought I could handle. Unfortunately, I have never been so wrong.

It hit me right in the feels and I just can't seem to explain the excellence of this book no matter how long this review turns out to be. The Fault in Our Stars just completely radiates excellence ( )
  caffeinatedreads | Jun 18, 2018 |
I am surprised by The Fault In Our Stars. I avoided reading it for the longest time because its YA and lately I've been annoyed by that genre. It was good, a little obvious, but still good. I don't relate to this book at all, I'm not a teen who has cancer or in love with a person who has cancer, I'm not going to try to relate to a book like this with these characters, it's insulting. I enjoyed the story for what it is a love story between cancer patients who aren't into the whole hopeful bullshit. Only thing I didn't like about the book was how they kept including the Van Houten character past the trip to Amsterdam, like really? He's going to visit the US for the funeral after he was such a dick. Yeah he had a daughter with cancer that explain his attitude and such but still, that's not realistic and felt like if you are going to talk about how his own book in the novel felt incomplete, let his character be incomplete by not having him pop up all the time, not everything needs to be explained and wrapped up in a cheesy fashion. Besides that, it was a good read. Sad and sweet ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 28, 2018 |
I'm sure almost everyone on this website has read it already but I just felt the need to say this: Great book but I'm still crying. I read it awhile ago and yet I'm still crying. Why??? ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
John Green has once again proved that he is masterful at verbalizing the hopes, fears, challenges and realities of the teen audience. The Fault in Our Stars proves that teen heartbreak is a surefire way to attract even the most reluctant reader.

16-year-old Hazel is living with lungs that don’t want to breathe and attending a cancer support group that hardly “gets it” when she meets her dream guy, Augustus. Augustus is far from wallowing in self pity over the leg he lost to bone cancer. Instead he walks around with an unlit cigarette in his mouth as a metaphorical rebuke to the cancer that threatens. As Hazel and Augustus get to know one another better, Hazel becomes increasingly agitated over the lives that are sure to be damaged by her death. Unlike the abrupt ending to her favorite book, she feels a desperation to know that her family and friends will survive her tragedy. In an unexpected twist of fate, Augustus’ cancer returns with a vengeance, leaving Hazel to experience death from the other side. As she comes to terms with her own inevitable ending, she realizes that though life is temporary, each moment is eternal.

John Green speaks to the reader through the voice of two humorous, introspective teens who are wise beyond their years. Though some readers will consider the maturity of the characters to be an unrealistic portrayal of teens today, others will argue that this is the very attribute that has fostered the deep connection among teen readers. Hazel and Augustus personify the qualities teens admire in a friend or boyfriend and exhibit the deep thinking that many teens express through poetry, music and art. The playful interaction between the main characters, mutual respect and growing affection exemplifies the modern fairytale relationship. The theme of young love struggling against the odds while searching for meaning in life is appealing to teens.

Due to a mild description of a sexual encounter, this book is recommended for teens age 13 and up. ( )
  valorrmac | May 15, 2018 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,422,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible