The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.
Member:C.Slade
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Books, Kindle Edition, 322 pages
Rating:***

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (chwiggy)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)

English (1,291)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,339)
I'm not an emotional person but this book had me in tears. Recommended to EVERYONE! ( )
  Kayla.Krantz | Feb 14, 2020 |
Fucking adore this book. Made me laugh and cry within one page. ( )
  Bibliofowl | Feb 13, 2020 |
Mawkish and sentimental. Pretentious lead characters, under-developed support cast. ( )
  TheEllieMo | Jan 18, 2020 |
This novel first starts off with a girl named Hazel Grace Lancaster who is seventeen years old. She suffers from thyroid cancer that unfortunately has spread to her lungs. To help cope with this, she attends support groups including people like her who are suffering with cancer. At one of the meetings, Hazel notices a guy that just doesn't seem to take his eyes off of her. She later finds out that his name is Augustus Waters who had osteosarcoma that has fled from his body after amputating his leg. After the meeting, the two introduce themselves and then go to Augustus's place to hangout. Before Augustus takes Hazel home, they make a deal where they'll read each other's favorite novels. Hazel gave him "An Imperial Affliction" which is about a girl named Anna who also has cancer. Hazel said that this was the one read that she could relate to the most. A week or so later, they talked about the meaning of the novel and Augustus shockingly revealed that he had tracked down the location of the author, Peter Van Houton. Eventually Augustus tells Hazel that they would be going to Amsterdam to see him and then he touches her face. Although, Hazel is hesitant because she knows she'll hurt him when she passes. Later on, Hazel's lungs get filled with fluid and she had to be rushed to the ICU. Afterwards, Hazel, Augustus, and Hazel's mother head over to Amsterdam to see Mr. Van Houton himself only to find out that he's a very rude, sad ol' drunk who would answer none of their questions whatsoever. The trio leave disappointed but go to visit Anne Frank's House where Augustus and Hazel share a very romantic kiss! The next day, Augustus confessed to Hazel some pretty bad news. His cancer has returned and spread throughout his entire body indicating to Hazel that 'she' will be the one getting hurt when 'he' passes. His condition worsens with time and the cancer eats him up fast so, before Augustus leaves for good, he organizes a mini funeral where Isaac, his best friend, and Hazel share very sweet speeches for him. Eight days later, he passed away and surprisingly enough, Van Houton decided to attend the funeral. Later on, he confesses to Hazel that Augustus made him come to make up for the Amsterdam trip that he ruined. Van Houton then explained to her that Anna was his daughter that had cancer. Eventually, Hazel finds out that Augustus sent pages to Van Houton so that he could write a well thought and well written passage about Hazel.
This book was so so sad! I love this novel so much not only for the pain, the agony, the plot, and the romance, but for the interesting, and very cruel plot twist that the author, John Green, has decided to put upon us, the readers. Just in case you didn't quite catch on to what I'm talking about, it would be when Hazel and Augustus were in Amsterdam and Augustus confesses to her that his cancer had returned and spread all over his entire body! While reading, I pretty much dropped the book along with my mouth! Such a good movie with such a sad ending, although I absolutely loved it. It was enjoyable to read and the movie was honestly not that bad to watch as well! Five stars all the way! ( )
  HSanPedro.ELA5 | Jan 14, 2020 |
Summary Paragraph:

In the book, The Fault in Our Stars, the author, John Green, writes about a young girl named Hazel. Hazel Grace is a 17-year old girl that has been diagnosed with lung cancer. Her parents force her to attend a support group. In one particular meeting, she sees a young boy and they both take an interest in each other. They begin talking throughout the meeting and she learns the boy’s name is Augustus Waters. He later invites Hazel to his house for a hangout. Before Hazel returns home after their hangout they both agree to read each other’s favorite novels. A week later, Augustus finds the author of Hazel’s favorite book and invites her to go and meet him in Amsterdam. Hazel is ecstatic about the idea and agrees. Throughout the book, both characters start to develop feelings for one another. When Augustus, Hazel and her mother arrive in Amsterdam they are meet with a mean spirited drunk author. Leaving Amsterdam disappointed, Hazel comes to find out that Augustus is a grenade and cancer has spread throughout his whole body. Hazel and Isacc (Augustus’s best friend) hold a prefuneral for Augustus where Hazel confesses her love for him. August dies eight days later. Hazel learns Augustus wrote something for her before he died. The book ends with Hazel reading August's words.

Opinion Paragraph:

In the book, The Fault in Our Stars, the author, John Green, writes a lovely book about love and death. The main character, Hazel, meets August at a support meeting and helps her break out of her shell and see the bright side of life. Hazel fears she will be a grenade or inflicting a great deal of suffering to everyone around her when she dies. Instead, she becomes the victim of this grenade when her loved one, Augustus Waters, dies of cancer. The book itself is lovely written. It will hit any reader right in the heart with its sad, but lovely ending. ( )
1 vote KEdwards.ELA4 | Jan 14, 2020 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,313,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible