The fault in our stars by John Green

The fault in our stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green (Author)

Member:bluesalamanders
Title:The fault in our stars
Authors:John Green (Author)
Info:New York : Dutton Books, 2012.
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Rating:*****
Tags:age: young adult, genre: fiction, read 2012, signed, type: hardback

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (1,137)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (7)  German (6)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  All (1,181)
John Green is a great writer who makes great statements about life. The stories them self are okay, but his one liners are what really make me enjoy his writing.

I would say this is his most popular book, and its good. The story takes twits and turns i wasnt expecting. ( )
  Kenzer24123 | Mar 25, 2017 |
This book is about a girl with lung cancer. The girl goes to a group at a church with kids who also have cancer. She meets a boy and they fall in love. They both really love a book and they go to Amsterdam to meet the author. The author is not nice so they leave Amsterdam. Then the boy gets really sick and dies. Then the girl finds his diary and reads what he wrote to her.

I think this book is a really good book. I think it is a good book because It is a sad but good book. The book has a good plot and it gets a little emotional. The book book has some big words and thier defenitions so it is informational. The book also is a cliffhanger because after she reads the diary it ends.
  Ianh.B1 | Mar 23, 2017 |
I think this was quite emotional. I was literally crying along with it. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
Summary: A story that shows a glimpse of the life of Hazel Grace Lancaster as she battles a life-long battle with cancer. As a 16-year-old girl, she is not only striving to live a normal life but carries the worry of her parent's lives after she dies. Hazel goes to a church support group for cancer survivors, where she meets the love of her life Augustus Waters. From the first day, they met the two become practically inseparable. At the beginning of their relationship, Hazel requires Augustus to read her favorite book the Imperial Affliction, in which the main character has a rare blood cancer. Augustus and Hazel bond over their book and have a strong desire to discover what the conclusion of the book is. In pursuit of figuring out the conclusion of the book, they go meet the author Peter Van Houten in Amsterdam, using Augustus wish through the wish foundation. In their travels, they discover the ugly truth of the author, and Augustus shares with Hazel his findings on a recent scan, where the doctors discovered his body full of cancer. Hazel is the one that is doomed to die but finds out that Augustus will be going first. She spends the last months of Augustus’s life caring for him, spending quality time with him and loving him.

Personal Response:
A beautifully written love story about two teenagers who are fighting for their life. Once you pick up this book it’s impossible to put it down, with various emotions of hopefulness, sadness, and happiness all in one story. This book allows readers to feel the characters, their emotions, and their struggles.

Curriculum Connection:
This would be a great book for middle school students to explore the life of someone struggling with an illness. To understand the difficulties of their life, yet their attempts to be like any other teenager. It can teach students the value of friendship, acceptance and the importance of treating others with kindness and care. ( )
  ftakahashi | Mar 4, 2017 |
Summary: Hazel Grace has cancer. She goes to a cancer support group where other kids with cancer can go and talk about their feelings, treatment, and progress. This is where Hazel meets Augustus Waters. Augustus also has cancer, but a different form of cancer. Hazel and Augustus fall in love and go through the perils of cancer together. The novel ends in an unexpected way.

Personal Response: While I loved all of the other John Green novels, I hated this one. I had many students who loved and connected with the characters, however I did not feel that way. Hazel is so obsessed with her favorite book, and can’t get over the fact that it ends. She so desperately wants to know the ending of the author and the characters in the book, that when she finally meets the author it goes very unexpected. My feeling is that when a book is done, its done. I was mad with the way this novel ended. Just because I didn’t like this novel, doesn’t mean that others will feel that same way, and I understand that.

Curriculum Connection: If I had a reader ask me for a good book to read, I would direct them to this one. I have seen various students fall in love with this book, so it would be a good start for those readers needing a push. The characters are so easy to connect with, so young readers would love this novel. ( )
  Lisette25 | Feb 26, 2017 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,261,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible