The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:judithz
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:jz40, kindle, fiction

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

2012 (122) 2013 (96) Amsterdam (170) cancer (611) contemporary (69) death (280) dying (72) ebook (58) favorites (69) fiction (528) friendship (107) grief (94) humor (61) illness (77) John Green (58) Kindle (67) love (219) novel (60) read (72) read in 2012 (75) read in 2013 (65) realistic fiction (107) relationships (69) romance (272) signed (85) teen (153) to-read (272) YA (386) young adult (474) young adult fiction (84)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (InfectiousOptimist)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)

English (701)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (724)
I didn't really enjoy this book. I bought it after hearing a lot of good things about it, and I really really wanted to love it. This story had so much potential and touched on some really heavy subjects that many authors really don't like to touch on. I'd like to say good job to Green for at least that. Done by another author I think this story could have been a masterpiece.
I really don't like the writing style in The Fault in our Stars. It comes off as pretentious and too casual, but with it, I can see why so many people really resonate with this book. It's sassy, but not where it should be.
Another thing, I really didn't resonate with the characters. I felt like they were incredibly similar (Isaac, Augustus, and Hazel); yet at the end of the novel, it's stated that they're very different, and didn't agree on a lot of things. The novel could have played more into that, and actually shown where they were disagreeing (because as far as I saw it didn't really show. Feel free to correct me). The characters to me didn't seem fully developed. I was not loving them, and, to compare to a novel I recently read (Battle Royal, Takami, 1999), characters were better characterised in a couple of pages than Hazel and Augustus were in ~300 pages.
And a common complaint I have also found that people have if they don't like the book is Green's philosophy is really shoved down your throat, and makes him seem pretentious— much of the novel revolving around showing how smart he is. It really came off the wrong way.

I really wanted to love this book. I really did, and I'm actually disappointed I did. I'd rate it lower but there were a few moments that I actually chuckled, and I actually made my way through it in its entirety in about a day. ( )
  kirsanny | Jul 21, 2014 |
I can't say how well this book portrays teenagers with cancer because I'm not one, but a friend whose niece did have cancer really liked it and said he got it right. It really felt like he did - the guilt that Hazel, the 17 year old narrator, feels about that pain her death is going to cause her parents; her parents' smothering and hovering; her wise-beyond-her-years cynical attitude.

I liked it; both Hazel and Augustus are utterly charming and dear (and yet feel realistic because Augustus reminds me of my godson) and it's a sweet story. I was glad it was more than that, too, with some twists and turns and suspense.

The one thing I didn't like, ironically, was Augustus' feelings for Hazel. To instantly fall into a crush and after what, three or four get-togethers, want to do a life-changing thing for her - it's certainly romantic, but for me that's not love. They don't even know each other well enough to really be in love. It was almost like Twilight though not as creepy because at least Hazel is smart and interesting in ways Bella can only dream of. But at this point in the story, Augustus doesn't even know her well enough to know how smart, etc., she is.

I think you have to know somebody for a while and see them at their worst - these two don't even have any fights, for god's sake. Maybe this is a YA convention I'm not used to. Hazel's doubts and slow realization of her feelings felt more right. So the ending wasn't the glorious climax for me that I suppose it was for other people. That's okay, I found plenty to like. But I don't think I'll bother re-reading this. ( )
  piemouth | Jul 18, 2014 |
I really enjoyed reading the story of Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters. It was witty, honest and heart wrenching all at the same time. I believe that if you enjoyed the book, A Walk To Remember, this may be a book for you! It was difficult reading about 2 teenagers living with cancer, but the emotions felt real, along with the desire to live and enjoy life and experience love.

What was difficult for me personally, was the book portrayed these wonderful kids, who were experiencing life and death, but really did not have the peace that a relationship with God can provide or the comfort that their lives had more meaning then the time that they would spend here on earth.
  Kim327 | Jul 18, 2014 |
I really liked this book, but I think people are blowing it up way too much now. It's a cute love story and all, but it's not the greatest book I've ever read. It was a very predictable book except for a couple of parts that surprised me. ( )
1 vote hockeyzc58 | Jul 16, 2014 |
I did not care for this book. I had seen the hype on various social networks and decided to read it. The only reason I didn't give this one star is because of an original plot. The dialogue felt disingenuous and it was difficult to read without rolling my eyes every five pages. I have a large vocabulary, but I don't spout superfluous jargon without proper context. I didn't cry, like I was promised, because this book was a pretentious collection of pages. I will give John Green props because I couldn't put the book down. I'll still watch the movie, but I was not enchanted like the majority of teen girls everywhere. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,479,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible