The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:judithz
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:jz40, kindle, fiction

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Recently added bySteviemont, BettyAC, EMaher, tglovell, CLFraser44, natashaw, private library, AV315, 05Nicole91, novattj
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (InfectiousOptimist)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)

English (740)  Spanish (8)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (766)
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

John Green is the author of Looking For Alaska. John Green is an amazing author, one who writes like I would imagine he speaks. He's just very talented!

This book follows Hazel, a teen with cancer. She meets Gus at a cancer support group and, well, the snowball of feelings begins to roll. Gus has been cancer free for a while now, but attended the support group for his buddy who has cancer-who becomes blind because of it. Gus is very philosophical and poses challenging views and when the thoughts collide with Hazel, it is beautiful. This makes the reader think and question their own beliefs about life, love, and reason.

This book is a movie, just out in theaters. There has been a ton of hype around this book on the internet and booktube, so I picked it up. I do have to say that I really did enjoy the story, but I think I would've enjoyed it more if there wasn't so much hype about it-if that makes sense...

I did have a couple minor problems with the book, like why Hazel didn't question Gus's feelings enough for me to truly believe everything, BUT it wasn't something that destroyed the 'enjoyability' for me.

So, if you like romancy, teen, cry a river stories, read this book! If you're looking for a fresh author with many talents, read this book! If you're not into, or are triggered by cancer, emotional breakdowns, or medical treatment, this book MAY not be for you.
  joaslo | Aug 28, 2014 |
I listened to this book over a number of weeks which was probably the wrong way to listen to it. I should have focused my mind on it and listened to it whenever I could. A lovely book exploring all sorts of stuff most Young Adults would enjoy reading about as they explore their world and their place in it. Family, Love, Friendship, Reading, communicating, Truth, Justice (and the American Way - no just kidding). The author definitely hooked me into liking the three young people, all of whom suffer from some sort of debilitating, and potentially fatal, disease. Despite this gloomy prognosis for the kids they carry on just like teenagers and you gotta love them. And better yet, he makes them carry on like wise teenagers. I appreciated the author's use of humor and pseudo-philosophy just as kids would do. I was touched with the affection and love all the characters some how find ways to express. ( )
  maggie1944 | Aug 27, 2014 |
The fault in our star is really good even though i have not finish the book yet it is really good so far.The fault in our stars is about a girl named Hazel Grace who has cancer and goes to a support group and meets a boy named Augutus.I cant tell you the rest because i have not read the book yet and watch the movie yet but I do not want to hear what happen so if you watch the movie please do not tell me what happen.Th ebook is amazing it just makes love the book and wants you to read it over and over again. ( )
  Domoniquet.g1 | Aug 27, 2014 |
While I did expect a sadder story, this book has been, so far, the best one I read this year, so I'm either reading not very good books or this one is pretty good. The story is catchy, cute, it flows really nice, it takes a slightly different turn than most romances and... well, it ends almost as abruptly as An Imperial Affliction. To sum it up, it is a good book, but feels somewhat inconclusive. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
RGG: The voices of the two main characters are mesmerizing, so while the premise and plot may seem a bit thin, the novel is intensely engaging and the messages ring true. A few sexual scenes. Reading Level: YA+.
  rgruberexcel | Aug 26, 2014 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,331,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible