The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:judithz
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:jz40, kindle, fiction

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (InfectiousOptimist)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)

English (805)  Spanish (8)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (831)
Summary of Book
The story begins with a 15 years girl named Hazel. Hazel who has cancer, goes to cancer support group. In the support group he meets a 17-year-old boy named Augustus. Hazel has a hard time admitting her feeling for Augustus because she is scared of hurting him when she dies. They bond through their love of literature. At the end it is Augustus that dies.

Personal Reaction
I had a feeling this novel was going to be a tearjerker and it was for me. This book reminded of a regular life. This book used cancer and the wall that block from letting people in. However, this happens all the time. It’s not cancer or could be insecurities and other personal issues that people use to keep others at arms length.

Extension Idea
Discuss the character actions and their feelings for such action. Ask students to reflect and write from their experience, a time where they left their emotions take over. Ask students to share their essay, only is they are comfortable with doing so.
  readcindyread | Oct 24, 2014 |
What can I say that hasn't been said better by others?

This was wonderful. I say that even though that particular superlative has been diluted by overuse. I use it in its original sense. This was full of wonder.

I... can't. ( )
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
The fictional book The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, displays a love story between characters Hazel and Augustus. Hazel has cancer and a Gustus is a cancer survivor. Having cancer makes Hazel and Augustus’ relationship hard. In the book, 16 year old Hazel did not want to go to the support group. But she soon realises that it was a good idea. Hazel meets a young boy named Augustus Waters. He is charming and witty. Augustus had osteosarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer, but has recently had the all clear. In the book, Hazel and Augustus travel to Amsterdam in search of Peter Van Houten the author of their favorite book. While on their trip Augustus breaks some heartbreaking news to Hazel and both of their worlds fall apart around them.If you enjoy young adult books, full of witty humour and heartbreaking events, this book is perfect for you. It was well written by the author, John Green. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  KaSl14 | Oct 23, 2014 |
This book is about a 15-year old girl named Rachel Grace. She is suffering of Lung cancer and has depressions, ( )
  FelicityT.B4 | Oct 23, 2014 |
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green was about teenage romance, and how love can happen at any age and at any given time no matter the circumstance. Hazel Grace Lancaster was a 16 year old miracle cancer patient. When she was 13 she was expected to die from lung cancer. She kept on fighting and they placed her on Plaxifom which helps her lungs be lungs. She has been on the miracle drug for 3 years, when the story takes place. Her mother thought she needed to go to a support group. Her and another young boy named Isaac met thy had a few conversations trough looks. Isaac was in the support group because he had a cancer in his eyes that caused him to loose both of them. One day in support group Isaac invited one of his close friends named Augustus Waters. Augustus is 17. Hazel and Augustus immediately had a connection. They hung out a couple times and fell in love. Isaac went through a hilarious break up with his girlfriend, and destroyed many of Augustus basketball trophies, that Augustus won when he had both of his legs. August had cancer in his leg forcing the doctors to amputate his leg, now he had a prosthetic leg. Isaac with the cancer in his eye had also a prosthetic/glass eye. He later then found out he would have to have both removed an became completely blind. Augustus and Hazel were obsessed with this book called An Imperial Afflictions. They bonded over it, they had wrote an email to the authors assistant and they, Peter Van Houten and his assistant, said that if they were to every find themselves in Amsterdam to feel free and stop by. They had made plans to go until Hazel woke up and could not breathe and she was in the ER for a few days because they needed to drain her lungs of the fluid that was restricting her from breathing. After that it took a lot of convincing and planning to get Hazel Grace's parents to agree to let the trip to Amsterdam happen. After they got the confirmation that they were going to Amsterdam the informed Peter Van Houten and his assistant. Augustus, Hazel, and Hazel's mom went on the trip. When they go to Amsterdam they were of course jet leg so the first 1 or 2 days they stayed very close to the hotel. After, they went to go meet Peter. They got to his house and he was flat out drunk and so rude. He turned out to be a complete jerk and Hazel decided just to leave. Peter's assistant also could not stand Peter and basically quit and chased after them. They ended up going to the Anne Frank house, which consisted of lots of stairs. Which was a problem for Hazel, but she fought and made it to the top despite that her lungs sucked at being lungs. They rested the next day and walked around, this s when Augustus gave Hazel some bad news. Augustus's cancer had came back, except this time it was everywhere. When Hazel was in the ER he had felt pain and decided to get it checked out. "It light up like a christmas tree" Augustus said trying to be sort of funny. Hazel was crushed and cried, who wouldn't if that was really happening. They had gone back to the states and Augustus got worse and worse and soon was trapped in a wheel chair. Before Augustus died he had a pre- funeral, where he had Hazel and Isaac read there speeches for the actual funeral. Also they all gathered at Isaacs ex-girlfriends house and threw eggs at the car, before the 'pre-funeral'. Augustus had died a few days later, in the ICU. An the funeral happened, however Isaac could not make it through his speech with out crying, which is understandable. After Augustus died Hazel and Isaac became ever closer as friends.

I thought The Fault In Stars was a 5 star rating novel. It had the right amount of comedy, romance, and friendship. I loved the quotes the book contained about life. Like "Im on a roller coaster that only goes up my friend." It talked about how all the side affects of cancer were just side affects of dying, which I believe to be true. Cancer is a side affect of dying and they were not denying it. They were also young and had so much to live for but their cancer was holding them back. Hazel had thyroid cancer, that spread to her lungs. Which causes her to have trouble breathing and its sad for a girl her age. Overall there was just a lot of tragedy in this book. However I do not think this novel was something to cry about. It was sad and devastating but it was fiction the characters are fiction, but this does happen. It is life cancer is just another side affect of dying. An I do not mean to sound insensitive. ( )
  BriannaM.B1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,492,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible