The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:LisaMP
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:****1/2

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (1,132)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (7)  German (6)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  All (1,176)
Since I did not particularly like Looking for Alaska, because to me it seemed a glorified "how to" on blow jobs and driving under the influence, I was surprised to find myself reading Green's newest. So glad I did. The highlight feature on my Kindle is now broken due to overuse:) Of course the age old story of teenagers with cancer has been done almost as much as the Holocaust, but never with this much voice:) I can honestly say I laughed more than I cried (and I cried quite a bit) during Hazel Grace and Augustus's tale of young love. Talk about star crossed lovers! Their story was eerily similar to that of a dear friend of mine who at the tender age of 16 lost his leg to cancer (as well as his hair, dignity at times, and self sufficiency for a while). I wonder if they have met? Needless to say I went and bought it in hardback even though I have it on my Kindle because this one is definitely a lending one.
I highly recommend this to all if for no other reason than to find out what Dom Perignon says when he invented champagne:) ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
I found this to be a quick and enjoyable read, although of course it was very sad in parts. The phrase 'lit up like a Christmas tree' now has new meaning for me. The two main characters are teenagers but they could well have been adults as they come across as intelligent, well read and lacking many of the insecurities of teenage years. In some ways it is the adults around them who behave as children e.g. Patrick and van Houten. The story is nicely elevated at times with references to Shakespeare and poetry. ( )
  Lord_Boris | Feb 21, 2017 |
Edited 4/16
I just realized I posted this in comments and not the review section so I'm moving my 3 year old comment to the proper place.

I commend the author for portraying a realistic view of the physical aspects of cancer and not showing the "sterilized" version of it that you usually read about or see on TV.

However, I found the constant witty, clever repartee annoying and unrealistic for any age, regardless of diagnosis or how well-read. It prevented me from becoming emotionally invested in the characters, and kept my eyes dry even though I cry easily. And the "romance" was too sappy for my taste.

Ultimately, the book was just a 2 star "ok" read for me. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Seeing Gus, the sassy charming man going from that to being utterly helpless due to his sickness gave me so much perspective on life. Illness does not define a person but it surely can change their view towards the world which is, unfortunately, not a wish-granting factory. Needless to say, I loved this book. To me, The Fault in Our Stars is like a piece of art and art isn’t supposed to look pretty. Art, just like this book, is supposed to make you feel things! ( )
  hajareader | Feb 8, 2017 |
Like most books, the movie does nothing for this book. I usually do not like romantic novels but a friend made me read this book and I fell in love. It has romance, and bravery, and sadness, and love. It is about two sick teenagers who fall in love with each other. They seem to be the only two who really understands each other. I think I personally loved this noel because having a chronic disease myself, I can relate to this. It made me seem like I wash't along in my illness. Even though the illnesses in this novel are far worse than what I have, it still helped me learn to except my illness. I loved the way he wrote the book from the girls point of view but still brought the boys point of view through certain ways. It is just an amazing book. ( )
  bbrelet | Feb 1, 2017 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

“The Fault in Our Stars” is all the more heart-rending for its bluntness about the medical realities of cancer. There are harrowing descriptions of pain, shame, anger and bodily fluids of every type. [...] These unpleasant details do nothing to diminish the romance; in Green’s hands, they only make it more moving. He shows us true love — two teenagers helping and accepting each other through the most humiliating physical and emotional ordeals — and it is far more romantic than any sunset on the beach.

Green writes books for young adults, but his voice is so compulsively readable that it defies categorization. He writes for youth, rather than to them, and the difference is palpable. He doesn't dumb anything down. His language is complex, his syntax adult. He freely references Kierkegaard and William Carlos Williams alongside bloody video games and action movies. Add to that a raw and real glimpse at childhood illness, and his latest, The Fault in Our Stars, may be his best book yet.

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,490,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible