The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:TLHelen
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:cancer, tragedy, romance, cry

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (1,075)  Spanish (17)  Dutch (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,113)
I officially think that I am no longer human, I didn't cry once through this book... I had been warned by so many that this was a tear jerker. Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE this book. John Greene does an amazing job capturing the essence of reality and the fears and unknown about dying. I feel like the main characters Augusta and Hazel are fighting for the time they spend on this Earth. While Augusta has seemed to have won over his cancer, Hazel is left with always fighting the pain to breath and simply be.

Their story creates a positive message of what love, compassion, and family is able to accomplish in a state of despair. Both Hazel and Augusta brightened the other's life, they didn't always see eye to eye, but they learned to enjoy the other person and their difference in opinion. This book is full of amazing quotes and metaphors about life and the universe. I felt that often they were saying things that I had questioned myself at times.

The relationship between the reader and novel is built on the relationships in the story. I found that I wasn't captured by the plot of the story, as much as the characters and their interactions. I wasn't flipping the pages to quickly find out the ending, but enjoyed each conversation, lesson learned, and hard truth of realization. This is what makes me recommend this book, because although I didn't cry like most of the readers who suggested this book, I loved every moment I spent reading it. ( )
  Literature_Owl | May 26, 2016 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I'm not going to write an extremely touching story or a very deep analysis of TFIOS. I think those can already be found all over the internet. I just want to describe my thoughts on this book.

I started reading this book in September, just before the university started again, mostly because I knew I had friends who would definitely ask me if I'd read the book already. (They had been doing so for the last month of the last college year as well). As I'd read a lot of books this summer, I figured I couldn't really come up with a reason not to have read it, even though watching the movie made me realise that it wasn't going to be a book for me.

This was around the same time that The Netherlands were stalked with big posters of John Green's head and the text 'Damn Near Genius' , which I thought to be at best 'Not a really good way to promote the books' as only very small pictures of the covers were included.

It took me to the first of November to finish it. Partly this was of course because I was a bit behind on my review books and they get to go first, but I also just wasn't enjoying myself while reading it. And that's not because I don't like books that are sad or deal with a serious matter. It was mostly because I couldn't stand both Hazel, Gus and their forced tear-jerking starcrossed romance.

They never for once talked like normal people. It's okay to like to talk about existential questions, but don't act like you're so much better than everyone else. It's not cool to put a cigarette into your mouth even if you decide not to light it. It's ridiculous to talk about basketball in terms of round objects moving trough conical ones.

Their weird obsession with An Imperial Affliction is another thing. It's just a book, and from what I've heard about it, not even such a good one. I know all about books ending unsatisfactory but I don't go obsessing about it in this way (I don't just read a single book on constant repeat either, and if I did, I certainly wouldn't give my one special copy of it to a random Guy I just met. I would have protected it with my life, so to speak). Hazel and Gus call it a pretentious book, but that's coming from perhaps the most pretentious book I've ever read.

I realise I'm probably not the intended audience for this book. I don't like romance, over emotional books or books that try to force me into certain emotions (like crying; I want to be able to decide for myself whether or not to cheer for the characters). I just wanted to see if the book really was as good as I was reading (and everyone was telling me) that I forgot that I probably wouldn't enjoy it anyway. The only thing I really can't understand is why people are loving the pretentiousness so much. It annoyed the hell out of me.

I thought the book was over long too. After the big thing happens, the story drags on for at least another 50 pages, trying to force me into crying (but definitely not succeeding; I don't know what this says about me). Perhaps TFIOPS (The Fault In Our Pretentious Stars) should have ended just like An Imperial Affliction, with Hazel realising she can't / doesn't want to continue writing and just stopping mid-sentence. And all I would be wondering about is what did eventually become of the hamster... ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Well this too ended like AIA!!!
I was a little doubtful about this book as i hated "Looking for Alaska" by same author. But my doubt was proved wrong to an extent.

A story of cancer patients and lives around them, actually caught attention. Especially when the cancer patients are teenagers. Loved the witty dialogues with a tinge of irony.
Story of Hazel who meets Augustus through a cancer patients meet and the bond goes strong in few months, which in turn will cause them more pain!
But, the only strange point is from where did that writer of AIA book pop up and what was his significance? Was that character really needed?

Well couldn't resist giving 4 stars. ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
As I am wont to do, I read John Green's The Fault in Our Stars and, concurrently, listened to the spectacular audio version read by Kate Rudd (her performance is beyond amazing!). I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to Jamie Ford, a Facebook friend, a Goodreads author and the brilliant writer who penned (another of my favorite books of all time) Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet for strongly recommending that I drop everything and make reading John Green's *The Fault in Our Stars" a priority. I took Jamie's sage advice and, as a result, find my self sitting in the reflective eye of a maelstrom of emotion . . denial, joy, sorrow, awe, rage, helplessness and hope. I am totally wrung out! Please, if you haven't read it . . I hope you will. ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
I hoped for a lot from this book, but I expected not quite as much. I have a hard time trusting any book that has a remarkable 4.5/5 stars on Goodreads. I mean, that’s basically unheard of. Most of the Harry Potter books don’t even have that, and they’re perfect!

That being said, The Fault In Our Stars is a beautiful book. Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace Lancaster are remarkable teenagers, if unrealistic. They struggle valiantly through their battles with cancer, speaking ironically and sarcastically about their suffering, quoting poetry and waxing poetic on literature and illness. They joke about cancer. (And about other things. They’re actually quite funny.) They scorn typical “cancer kid plots.”

And yet, The Fault is a pretty typical “cancer kid plot.” It is tragic, heartbreaking, and profoundly sad. There are a few unique adventures along the way. Augustus and Hazel do some traveling in search of Hazel’s favorite author. (I thought at first that this part of the book didn’t carry the plot very well, and then later on it was a bit heavy-handed. But I did enjoy their visit to the Anne Frank Haus, because I’ve been there myself and know firsthand how moving it is to stand in those rooms.) In the end, this book isn’t particularly unique; it’s just heartbreaking. In fact, The Fault may be the first book over which I’ve ever truly shed tears. I was glad that I was home alone as I was turning the final pages, because I was really crying. If you judge books based on the amount of emotional response they elicit, then you’ll probably love this one. (By the way, for a unique “cancer kid plot,” I recommend Jodi Picoult’s My Sister’s Keeper.)

Before I say this final bit, I have a disclaimer: I’m fortunate enough to be able to say I’ve never experienced cancer in the way that the families in this book experience cancer. So I in no way presume to know what it’s like; nor can I speak to the realism of Hazel and Augustus’s experiences. That being said, I appreciated that this book didn’t necessarily seek to find any “meaning” in the tragedy of cancer. Because I don’t know that there is any “meaning” in it. It’s just a terrible, unfair thing. But I did love the way the characters find meaning in their relationships, experiences, and love for one another, no matter how short their time together may be. They find meaning in their own lives and in one another’s lives. And I think that is important.

All in all, this is a beautiful, moving book. If you like heartbreaking love stories, then this one is for you. ( )
  blackrabbit89 | May 6, 2016 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Green writes books for young adults, but his voice is so compulsively readable that it defies categorization. He writes for youth, rather than to them, and the difference is palpable. He doesn't dumb anything down. His language is complex, his syntax adult. He freely references Kierkegaard and William Carlos Williams alongside bloody video games and action movies. Add to that a raw and real glimpse at childhood illness, and his latest, The Fault in Our Stars, may be his best book yet.

“The Fault in Our Stars” is all the more heart-rending for its bluntness about the medical realities of cancer. There are harrowing descriptions of pain, shame, anger and bodily fluids of every type. [...] These unpleasant details do nothing to diminish the romance; in Green’s hands, they only make it more moving. He shows us true love — two teenagers helping and accepting each other through the most humiliating physical and emotional ordeals — and it is far more romantic than any sunset on the beach.

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,858,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible