The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:TLHelen
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:cancer, tragedy, romance, cry

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Don't forget to be awesome.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (865)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (889)
The pain need to be felt and that is what it feels like.Death is a phenomenon , a thing that you can never prevent and think of how it affects others ,those who love you.We all want to be remembered . You can't help it, but here is girl who want to leave as if there existed none like that.
Universe likes those who study it and it unravels its beauty for those who are willing to observe, it cares less for any individual lives. ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
Turned out to be a pretty good read despite the underlying depressing theme. The story of love between two people in dire straits seemed fake to me, but the idea had a fairy-tale quality to it.

I wouldn't read it again, but it was a decent one-read book. ( )
  hazysaffron | Feb 17, 2015 |
I enjoyed this read. I picked it up to read in conjunction with my two nieces (we read together sometimes) and we all agreed that the sarcasm and angst made it great fun in spite of the heavy content. Even talked my husband into watching the movie (against his better judgment) and he really enjoyed it. ( )
  KarenKimsey | Feb 16, 2015 |
THE FAULT IN OUR STARS Review THE FAULT IN OUR STARS dismantled me. The power of its writing is nearly unmatched in my eyes. John Green expertly toyed with my emotions, offering levity in the midst of tragedy, joy where despondence grew thick. He handled cancer in a way I'd never seen before: highlighting the soul-crushing reality of imminent death with a deft prose, and stating, quite honestly, that not everyone passes from the world with their dignity. These characters laid themselves bare to me, and I openly wept at the extremity of their destruction.

There are two twists in this story: the first one concerning Augustus (which I saw coming), and the final one, wherein a certain someone shows up at a funeral (which I did not see coming). The book is flawlessly constructed. As I mentioned before, Green drifts from comedy to heartbreaking drama and back again in a fluid state of grace. I've read many tragedies before, but none had the impact of THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. Either an author can manage tears, or laughter. Rarely both. Nor can they offer either consistently. I know it's a cliche thing to say, but if I wasn't laughing, I was crying. Either way, Green engaged and enthralled me.

This is my first taste of young adult literary fiction. I've read plenty of coming-of-age stories, but never have I read something this achingly real. Let me add this one caveat: The teenagers in this book are all rather precocious, and do not speak as one expects adolescents these days to speak. Do kids this age talk in such a way? I believe they exist, but are few and far between. To have so many well-spoken kids in one novel was, at times, hard to swallow, but the book is so hard to put down that this one minor complaint did not detract from my overall enjoyment. To clarify, I do not believe this generation of teens is stupid, but Hazel, Gus, Isaac, and even Kaitlyn (what little she's in the book) talk with the experience and intelligence of college professors. Green seemed to realize this, and decided to through in near-constant "likes" and "whatevers" to make them sound more youthful.

At first, Green's novel reminded me quite a bit of the Mandy Moore/Shane West movie A WALK TO REMEMBER. Had Hazel and Gus gotten married, I think it would have been borderline plagiarism, but then Green threw in the twist with Gus, and I threw all comparisons to that film out of the window.

Peter Van Houten was probably one of my favorite characters, as was Hazel's trip to Amsterdam, in my opinion, one of the best parts of the book. I was there, in that aged city, walking those streets, dining with Gus and Hazel, sipping bubbly, screaming at my Kindle during their encounter with the reclusive author, clapping while they kissed inside the Anne Frank Museum... I could rave on and on about those chapters, but I'd be spoiling a great deal. Just telling you when and where they kiss is a pretty big spoiler, so my apologies. I'm still not editing it out of my review, so... there!

Since I am new to YA, I had no idea I'd happen upon sex and cussing, but this book features both, albeit the sex was off-camera and handled respectfully. As for as language, there were more than a handful of variations of "shit" with one f-bomb toward the end, as is allowed in most PG-13 movies. Still, it was unexpected, but more than fitting.

Hazel's parents were responsible for most of the tears I shed while reading. I can't even imagine how I would respond to one of my children being diagnosed with a terminal illness, but I believe it would be akin to Hazel's father's response: Crying. Lots and lots of man-bawling. That brings me to another reason I felt so much for these characters: I'm a father. My kids are my greatest accomplishment, my dearest creation. I saw my daughter in Hazel, and my son in Gus. That, in and of itself, tore me to pieces.

In summation, I will not soon forget THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. Startlingly vibrant, flesh and blood people inhabit these pages. John Green manages to write about cancer victims without making them heroic, which was ballsy, to say the least. He does this by exposing their weaknesses, by allowing us to witness the ugliest parts of incurable disease. I applaud Green for tackling such horrors in a tender fashion. Especially the section where Hazel finds Gus in his car at the gas station. That took guts to write, and is a scene that will resound in my mind for years to come.

My highest possible recommendation.

WARNING: Buy a Sam's Club-size crate of Kleenex before attempting to read THE FAULT IN OUR STARS.

(Also, if there are errors in this review, my apologies. I stayed up all night reading this book, and will edit with a fresh pair of eyes when I'm more... wakeful.) ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
This is a great, easy read that only took me a day. I enjoyed it eventhough I found some parts a bit predictable. ( )
  DeborahCThomas | Feb 12, 2015 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,698,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible