The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:cancer, tragedy, romance, cry

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (922)  Spanish (10)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (951)
Good for a YA book but not worth the hype it got in the media. Someone did their job well. It WAS an unusual/original way to approach the subject of cancer. Plus, she did a good job of getting you emotionally invested with each character - and then ripping a couple away. I hate to cry so this could be why I didn't enjoy the book. If you enjoy a tear jerker, this is the book for you! ( )
  douglasse2 | Jul 2, 2015 |
First of all, I do not know how to pick myself up after reading this book. It wasn't the same story where a girl with cancer at the end just miraculously gets cured and lives happily ever after. This was a very touching story that never lied to you (although I wish it had at some point).

A quote in this book really touched me, and it was: "You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, but you do have some say in who hurts you". I'm actually choosing to let this book hurt me, because it was THAT good.

John Green sure knows how to shatter a heart into a million pieces with just a sentence. This sucks so much. I had to actually pause for a while and let myself cry, because that's all that I could feel like doing. By far one of the best books I've ever read. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
It's the second time I read this book.

This book has DESTROYED ME D: Review to come.

EDIT:

What I love the most about John Green's books (I've only read two so far, so please don't judge me) is his characters. All the characters are always three dimensional, all of them with a unique voice and their own little footprint in your heart.

When I first started reading this book, I realized that John Green did it yet again. He made characters that I was going to love even before they had spoken more than three sentences. Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters have to be the weirdest teens in the history of the world. They are philosophical prodigies of the world. And I love them.

John Green had already established that this story wasn't meant to be happy; I mean, it's a book about Cancer for crying out loud! But he still did something amazing with this book, and that was the way that he could make you laugh through the tears and lumps in your throat.

His writing style is so colorful. His way to pace a story was amazing. His way to write and pace this story? Was just unfreaking-believable.

You're captivated from the very first chapter and you can't help but feel for every single one of the characters.

This story was beautifully written, and truly heartbreaking.

I'd recommend this to anyone that wants to read a book with heart.

5 stars. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
I am surprised by The Fault In Our Stars. I avoided reading it for the longest time because its YA and lately I've been annoyed by that genre. It was good, a little obvious, but still good. I don't relate to this book at all, I'm not a teen who has cancer or in love with a person who has cancer, I'm not going to try to relate to a book like this with these characters, it's insulting. I enjoyed the story for what it is a love story between cancer patients who aren't into the whole hopeful bullshit. Only thing I didn't like about the book was how they kept including the Van Houten character past the trip to Amsterdam, like really? He's going to visit the US for the funeral after he was such a dick. Yeah he had a daughter with cancer that explain his attitude and such but still, that's not realistic and felt like if you are going to talk about how his own book in the novel felt incomplete, let his character be incomplete by not having him pop up all the time, not everything needs to be explained and wrapped up in a cheesy fashion. Besides that, it was a good read. Sad and sweet ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jun 28, 2015 |
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jun 28, 2015 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,905,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible